Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
How much would it cost to deport 21 million people? Probably several billion dollars...as if the government hasn't already flushed enough money down the toilet, let's go flush some more. I guarantee several weeks later all those people would be back in the country anyway, it's a terrible idea.
Perhaps a better question is: How much will it cost if we grant amnesty to 20+ million illegal aliens?

Let’s see. . . . .

The majority are uneducated and unskilled. Thus, they will continue to earn peanuts. Consequently, they will not pay their share of taxes relative to services received. Their low wages will also qualify them for tax refunds such as EIC. Essentially, they will pay no taxes. Compounding this problem will be their need for government assistance to supplement their meager wages. Otherwise, they can’t support their families. In other words, we will increase the welfare rolls by importing poverty.

Their high birth rate will produce even higher healthcare costs for taxpayers. Remember, they earn little; thus, they will qualify for Medicaid, including WIC, another tax-funded program. Illegal alien births account for the majority of births funded by taxpayers at many hospitals in this country. Parkland Hospital comes to mind, where 75% of babies born are children of illegals. Their irresponsible childbearing habits will not change simply because they are suddenly legal.

Many states are already experiencing huge budget deficits. Imagine what will happen when these same struggling states are now mandated to include the amnestied illegals. Don’t think they won’t be the first in line to avail themselves of state benefits.

In a nutshell, it will cost additional billions annually to sustain 20+ million amnestied illegals and the 80+ million relatives they will sponsor. Included in this chain migration will be millions of uneducated, unskilled, and elderly. We will then be responsible for them as well. Remember, family reunification is a salient aspect of the so-called immigration reform.

We can’t afford to support our own poor citizens. How on earth will we support millions more? Remember, whatever taxes they pay will be negligible.

And the list goes on. . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 02:13 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps a better question is: How much will it cost if we grant amnesty to 20+ million illegal aliens?

Let’s see. . . . .

The majority are uneducated and unskilled. Thus, they will continue to earn peanuts. Consequently, they will not pay their share of taxes relative to services received. Their low wages will also qualify them for tax refunds such as EIC. Essentially, they will pay no taxes. Compounding this problem will be their need for government assistance to supplement their meager wages. Otherwise, they can’t support their families. In other words, we will increase the welfare rolls by importing poverty.

Their high birth rate will produce even higher healthcare costs for taxpayers. Remember, they earn little; thus, they will qualify for Medicaid, including WIC, another tax-funded program. Illegal alien births account for the majority of births funded by taxpayers at many hospitals in this country. Parkland Hospital comes to mind, where 75% of babies born are children of illegals. Their irresponsible childbearing habits will not change simply because they are suddenly legal.

Many states are already experiencing huge budget deficits. Imagine what will happen when these same struggling states are now mandated to include the amnestied illegals. Don’t think they won’t be the first in line to avail themselves of state benefits.

In a nutshell, it will cost additional billions annually to sustain 20+ million amnestied illegals and the 80+ million relatives they will sponsor. Included in this chain migration will be millions of uneducated, unskilled, and elderly. We will then be responsible for them as well. Remember, family reunification is a salient aspect of the so-called immigration reform.

We can’t afford to support our own poor citizens. How on earth will we support millions more? Remember, whatever taxes they pay will be negligible.

And the list goes on. . . . . .
I'm not sure where you get your numbers, but they're debatable. The undocumented immigrants I know work 2 full time jobs and earn in the 50-60k/year range. Many of them are also home/business owners so on top of income taxes you also have property taxes as well as sales taxes for all the money they spend here...it adds up. The uneducated and unskilled statement is garbage too, just a poor generalization that doesn't accurately describe the country's undocumented population. I'm not saying we need to sustain every undocumented immigrant, just that there are cheaper and more effective solutions than deportation...especially when they'll just hop back in a week later.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you get your numbers, but they're debatable. The undocumented immigrants I know work 2 full time jobs and earn in the 50-60k/year range. Many of them are also home/business owners so on top of income taxes you also have property taxes as well as sales taxes for all the money they spend here...it adds up. The uneducated and unskilled statement is garbage too, just a poor generalization that doesn't accurately describe the country's undocumented population. I'm not saying we need to sustain every undocumented immigrant, just that there are cheaper and more effective solutions than deportation...especially when they'll just hop back in a week later.
The illegals you know are not representative of the vast majority currently living in this country. The majority of illegals are peasants from Mexico, with a 5th grade education. They are certainly not your average entrepreneur. After all, we are not getting the cream of the crop -- we are getting Mexico’s rejects. Even their own country doesn’t want them. If they are so resourceful, why can’t they make it back home?

Are you suggesting the majority of illegal aliens are educated and skilled professionals? There is plenty of data to refute that. One reason illegals have such a difficult time grasping English in ESL classes is the fact that they are illiterate in their own language. It’s difficult to teach a foreign language when students lack the ability to read or write.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
If they are illegals how are they paying their taxes? Oh by using someone elses ID?
Just because you know some who do the things that you claim does not mean that they represent the majority. Most by even the pro-illegals count are in fact unskilled poorly educated people.
All by the law have no right to be here. The cost of deportation can be greatly reduced by just a few measures.
1. Enforce the laws. Punish those who employee Illegals.
2. Punish the illegals when they are caught. Sieze their assets to help offset the costs.
3. Deny them social services. Make life to difficult.
They will self deport. Those who don't? We deport them and deduct the cost from any foreign aid their nation of origin might receive.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
If nothing else: the mere presence of those losers is a slap in my face as an American----------and, creates more disrespect for our way of life, both legally as well as morally. Face it: it is patently obvious said illegals' home countries don't want them either since they are usually bottom feeders there.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The illegals you know are not representative of the vast majority currently living in this country. The majority of illegals are peasants from Mexico, with a 5th grade education. They are certainly not your average entrepreneur. After all, we are not getting the cream of the crop -- we are getting Mexico’s rejects. Even their own country doesn’t want them. If they are so resourceful, why can’t they make it back home?
This isn't the case for the majority of undocumented immigrants from Mexico I have come into contact with, it's a popular generalization more than anything. Alot of the Mexicans I know doing janitorial work and working in restaurants are actually trained professionals in Mexico. I know people who have college educations in Mexico, who are accountants, pharmacists, teachers, lawyers, etc. Their education doesn't transfer here and they aren't fluent in English so people mistake them for being uneducated but it simply isn't true, these are intelligent people. It just makes more sense for them to work for $8-12/hr in Burger King here than making $2/hr as a high school teacher (which is commonly regarded as a higher paying job in Mexico).

Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
If they are illegals how are they paying their taxes? Oh by using someone elses ID?
Just because you know some who do the things that you claim does not mean that they represent the majority. Most by even the pro-illegals count are in fact unskilled poorly educated people.
All by the law have no right to be here. The cost of deportation can be greatly reduced by just a few measures.
1. Enforce the laws. Punish those who employee Illegals.
2. Punish the illegals when they are caught. Sieze their assets to help offset the costs.
3. Deny them social services. Make life to difficult.
They will self deport. Those who don't? We deport them and deduct the cost from any foreign aid their nation of origin might receive.
Well, since they are illegal and undocumented it makes paying taxes and doing alot of the things a legal resident does much more difficult. They would need to be properly documented to allow them to pay their taxes.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If nothing else: the mere presence of those losers is a slap in my face as an American----------and, creates more disrespect for our way of life, both legally as well as morally. Face it: it is patently obvious said illegals' home countries don't want them either since they are usually bottom feeders there.
Yeah, that's not how I feel at all about it. I don't know where people get the idea that their home country doesn't want them, that's a bunch of crap.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM

335 posts, read 328,969 times
Quote:
The undocumented immigrants I know work 2 full time jobs and earn in the 50-60k/year range.
Every one of these "undocumented immigrants", otherwise known as illegal aliens, who is employed in this country has committed a felony. And you associate with these felons?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:43 PM

335 posts, read 328,969 times
Quote:
How much would it cost to deport 21 million people? Probably several billion dollars...as if the government hasn't already flushed enough money down the toilet, let's go flush some more. I guarantee several weeks later all those people would be back in the country anyway, it's a terrible idea.
We wouldn't need to deport most illegal aliens in order to get rid of them. Instead, we need to pass tough laws that would make it practically impossible for illegal aliens to get a job or receive taxpayer funded services. Also, Congress or the Supreme Court needs to do something about the current misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment so that we can put an end to 'anchor babies'. Without any incentives to stay in this country, illegal aliens would begin to self-deport in large numbers. The rest of them would be deported over time as they come to the attention of law enforcement for committing additional crimes or for driving/traffic violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration