Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,614,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's right. Don't pay any attention to anything which even approaches the voice of reason and practicality.

Better to cling to the emotionally satisfying pipe-dreams of "solutions" to the problem which can't really be effective. Better to vent and hold hands with others who are afraid and bigoted. Rather than face the realities of the problem head on and clear-eyed, with the facts at hand, it's preferable make assumptions based upon nothing but emotion.

At least you can take comfort in the sure knowledge that there is someone out there, some demogogue, some politician interested in pandering to your fears for his own personal gain. He'll be along directly to present you with the options you so desperately want, just as Hitler did a couple of generations ago, and you'll find yourself in the same place as did the people of Germany; willingly subjegated to a "savior;" someone who will preserve the status quo, someone who will protect you from the great un-washed, the Untermenchen.
Bigoted? Demagogue? Hitler? Unwashed? Untermenschen? Wow!

I have to agree with mrmartlbee. With this post, you lost any vestige of credibility. The mere notion of comparing the opposition to illegal immigration to the atrocities of the vile and degenerate Hitler, illustrates not only EXTREME desperation, but a total lack of rational thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,590,144 times
You both missed my point entirely. I'll take credit for that, rather than blame y'all for being unable to read with understanding. I must not have made it clear

The point I was making isn't that the virulent anti-illegal crowd are like Nazi's, but by the very emotionalism generated, you're as susceptible to charlatan's and demogogues who would pander to your fears as were the German people in the days leading up to the Third Reich. Hitler did not take power at the point of a gun; he was elected by playing upon the fears of a people in desperate economic times. Instead of illegals, he pointed to the Jews as the source of everyone's troubles and, being desperate, they bought the lie.

You are setting yourselves up for a repeat of that performance. All that's needed is a leader who will promise you want you want to hear.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,614,425 times
Quote:
You both missed my point entirely. I'll take credit for that, rather than blame y'all for being unable to read with understanding. I must not have made it clear

The point I was making isn't that the virulent anti-illegal crowd are like Nazi's, but by the very emotionalism generated, you're as susceptible to charlatan's and demogogues who would pander to your fears as were the German people in the days leading up to the Third Reich. Hitler did not take power at the point of a gun; he was elected by playing upon the fears of a people in desperate economic times. Instead of illegals, he pointed to the Jews as the source of everyone's troubles and, being desperate, they bought the lie.

You are setting yourselves up for a repeat of that performance. All that's needed is a leader who will promise you want you want to hear.
Insults add nothing. End of discussion.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM

335 posts, read 329,921 times
Quote:

Who cares what y'all think. Y'all have lost all credibility on the subject of illegal immigration on this board. Y'all have made yourself to look like a desperate and morally corrupt individual who will say anything and resort to any measure, no matter how ridiculous or degenerate it might be, in your attempt to support and promote illegal immigration.

By the way, the many problems caused by illegal immigration are not based on lies, but instead are based on facts and statistics derived from numerous studies that have been done on the subject of illegal immigration. The expression "None are so blind as those who will not see" fits you so perfectly.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,318,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Insults add nothing. End of discussion.
I know, right? LOL People kill me when they start throwing insults, but they are the ones not presenting anything other than opinions. He's talking about "facts," but people post facts in this forum all the time, all I see from him/her is opinions.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,757,361 times
Everybody please calm down.
Also, regarding the "hitler" argument - I think everyone debating online, should know Godwin's Law.
My 2c.
Yac.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,548,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody please calm down.
Also, regarding the "hitler" argument - I think everyone debating online, should know Godwin's Law.
My 2c.
Yac.
Good read. Thanks.

Hope you have your Nazometer handy!

FYI: Wiki's not the greatest place for info.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,757,361 times
I know it's not, but it's familiar to most and is enough for some basic things And just because it's not a good source for academic knowledge, it doesn't mean it can't be referenced on occasion in a casual topic.
Anyway, back on topic folks! I won't butt in anymore.
Yac.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,832,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Since the US born children of foreign diplomats (including Mexican ones) explicitly do not qualify for birthright citizenship, precedent has already been set. A simple Supreme Court decision would cancel the Anchor Baby loophole quite nicely------------especially in this nasty recession.
But would a wise Latina woman, in the richness of her experiences, reach that conclusion?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,358,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
But would a wise Latina woman, in the richness of her experiences, reach that conclusion?
Never! Sotomayer already showed her biased colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration