Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that there are two driving factors that lead people to become passionate against illegal immigration.

Fear and nationalism.

While a healthy dose of both is not bad, do you think that it is a possibility that some have gone too far? That possibly arguments of becoming a third world nation and solutions of militarization of the border are slightly extreme? Some say that extreme actions must be taken (deportation, militarization, etc.) Do you feel this way? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:00 AM

14 posts, read 25,807 times
Fear, yes I have fear. Fear of losing jobs to those who are not supposed to be here.
Fear of losing more friends and family to the financial pressures of reduced wages.
Fear of the coke and crack dealers in the nearby Santuary Cities of Lynn and Chelsea Mass.
As for Nationalism you are confusing that with Patriotism.
We are a Nation of Laws and when they are not followed we get a little PO'd.

I personally welcome those that come here and follow our laws and want to become Citizens from the beginning.
I do not welcome those who are "thieves in the night" and expect to be rewarded by something as special as Citizenship.

Last edited by DakotaZahn; 01-11-2010 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-11-2010, 12:02 AM

119 posts, read 197,153 times
Sure, let's just hope people that see the signs of the destruction that the illegal populations bring to this country are wrong. Let's just be completely passive and hope that one day all those illegal immigrants that have been around for multiple years will just start speaking English.

I mean,they haven't after multiple years of being in this country but one day it will be like a switch being turned on right?

Yes I feel that our border should be secured and we should round up illegals as quickly as we can and deport them without delay.

We can set up an office in Mexico where those deported can prove that they belong in this country. If deporting them caused them financial hardship we can make it up to them once they have proven that they belong. It would be cheaper than letting them run free.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 AM

119 posts, read 197,153 times
Plus they are ugly.

Just kidding, some of the hispanic women are HOT.

If they are illegal they still need to go.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 AM

[quote=DakotaZahn;12392466]Fear, yes I have fear. Fear of losing jobs to those who are not supposed to be here.

Does that really happen though? Mos studies say no.

Fear of losing more friends and family to the financial pressures of reduced wages.

Again, does that happen? Unless they are workers that are paid under the table, wage depression isn't really seen.

Fear of the coke and crack dealers in the nearby Santuary Cities of Lynn and Chelsea Mass.

Is this SOLELY due to illegal immigration? I doubt the market suddenly sprang up.

As for Nationalism you are confusing that with Patriotism.

Nope, not really.

We are a Nation of Laws and when they are not followed we get a little PO'd.

Are laws static, or do they change under different circumstances?

I personally welcome those that come here and follow our laws and want to become Citizens from the beginning.

I do not welcome those who are "thieves in the night" and expect to be rewarded by something as special as Citizenship.

So shouldn't we find ways to increase legal immigration?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Sure, let's just hope people that see the signs of the destruction that the illegal populations bring to this country are wrong. Let's just be completely passive and hope that one day all those illegal immigrants that have been around for multiple years will just start speaking English.

What destruction? Also, in order for immigrants (legal or illegal) to speak English, shouldn't we help provide the means to learn?

I mean,they haven't after multiple years of being in this country but one day it will be like a switch being turned on right?

Typically, by second generation English fluency is at 88% of the immigrant population (regardless of legality). Roughly 65% are fluent in the first generation.

Yes I feel that our border should be secured and we should round up illegals as quickly as we can and deport them without delay.

Wouldn't the cost be too high? Aren't there other ways to decrease illegal immigration, such as making provisions to make legal migration easier (cheaper, more accessible, and quicker).

We can set up an office in Mexico where those deported can prove that they belong in this country. If deporting them caused them financial hardship we can make it up to them once they have proven that they belong. It would be cheaper than letting them run free.

This seems disruptive and potentially unstable.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
Immigrants need to learn English if they want to integrate into American society, no exceptions. At least, in my opinion they do. They don't have to give up Spanish in their homes, oh no, matter of fact I'd prefer they retain their native tongue in their private lives because I'm teaching myself Spanish and I need the practice! We should be offering English classes to them, and as a taxpayer I don't mind one bit about funding that. Other countries do it with great success so there's no reason why we can't.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:52 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Immigrants need to learn English if they want to integrate into American society, no exceptions. At least, in my opinion they do. They don't have to give up Spanish in their homes, oh no, matter of fact I'd prefer they retain their native tongue in their private lives because I'm teaching myself Spanish and I need the practice! We should be offering English classes to them, and as a taxpayer I don't mind one bit about funding that. Other countries do it with great success so there's no reason why we can't.
I used to feel that way about language until I made the effort and learned Spanish. Now it isn't a big deal to me. We've already decided that our children will speak at least 3 languages. That way they won't be able to have the same complaint, plus it'll open up more opportunities for them.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I used to feel that way about language until I made the effort and learned Spanish. Now it isn't a big deal to me. We've already decided that our children will speak at least 3 languages. That way they won't be able to have the same complaint, plus it'll open up more opportunities for them.
Yes, our children need to learn to speak Spanish so that they will be able to be employed as supervisors to run the non English speaking illegal alien work crews of the future.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,253 times
So this thread was started so that the pro illegal apologiser/sympathiser thread starter with an agenda could provide non sensical propagandistic answers for all of the countless reasons for anti illegal sentiment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration