Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:50 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,877,824 times

Advertisements

Another thing to consider is that Haiti has the highest HIV/AIDS rate in the Western Hemisphere(which contributes to it's high rate of orphans).If you loook it up I believe that it is 2.2% of the adult population(Probably a good deal of it untreated).That and several other factors in a country that has poor healthcare would also need to be addressed concerning public health.The US is better off asissting them in Haiti.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM

183 posts, read 243,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Another thing to consider is that Haiti has the highest HIV/AIDS rate in the Western Hemisphere(which contributes to it's high rate of orphans).If you loook it up I believe that it is 2.2% of the adult population(Probably a good deal of it untreated).That and several other factors in a country that has poor healthcare would also need to be addressed concerning public health.The US is better off asissting them in Haiti.

thats what Ive been trying to say. We dont have the sources to help them anymore, we can barely help ourselves. Yes it is humane to help them and help them we are, just not here in America. You would be subjecting us all to unknown diseases and illness. Everytime a disaster hits were there to help them, thats a wonderful thing but then when they are up on their feet and doing great.. maybe even better than us we get crapped on. It realy would be nice if these other countries would get up and help them. I know that would be a miracle but at least I could wish for it.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,640,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Poster View Post
It is only a matter of time before large number of Haitians attempt to leave their country on boats. What should be done when hundreds of boats leave their shores heading for America? Should we send them back home or let them stay here in America? (If we let them stay more will follow) If we send them back we will be criticized.

Yep, it's a double edged sword.

I don't think we need to loosen any laws, but we might give them legal refugee status IF and I say IF they go about it LEGALLY!!!!

If we allow them in, they DO need to learn OUR language, and gain employment, not become MORE leeches of our system.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,470,396 times
We need to help as much as possible but, face facts, the whole world wants to come in.

How about we work to encourage democracy and freedom in all countries of the world so they can have their own success .

Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,339,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We need to help as much as possible but, face facts, the whole world wants to come in.

How about we work to encourage democracy and freedom in all countries of the world so they can have their own success .
That makes a whole lot more sense then importing millions of the world's poor into our country.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,256,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
because its the humane thing to do.
haiti is in ruins.
it cant handle the added burden of more citizens. at least not yet.
these people would just be another mouth to feed, another body to shelter. (tho we can argue that they can be another person to rebuild, i wouldnt make that assumption)
lets allow those people to stay for a while in the US and when their country is somewhat stabilized, resume deportations. all we would be doing is temp. delaying deportation
Why not? We keep hearing from your side that illegals are all hard working honest people. maybe its time to put up or shut up. Are they or are they not?
What is it the pro-illegal side says? That illegals are willing to work harder than us evil Americans. Willing to work longer hours than us lazy evil Americans. Ok lets give them the incentive to build a nation. They fix it they can keep it.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM

994 posts, read 1,684,118 times
No. If we did, every time another disaster happened in another country, more and more immigrants would jump on the *hey, let's move to the US* bandwagon. I agree with sending humanitarian help, but NO IMMIGRATION.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,856,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Also TB is rampant there, it's their biggest killer.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,154,709 times
Maybe remove one million of our illegal aliens from mexico and give their jobs to one million Haitians. If we are going to have illegals here we might as well not be racist about it and spread it around. Can someone tell me why if a few Haitians are seen on a boat floating towards the USA we send out ships and planes and coast guard cutters etc to STOP them but yet when we have thousands of mexicans sneaking in every night we do very little,,,,Seems racist to me. Do the Haitians not also want to work hard to feed their familys? They got just as much right to be here as any other race yet not.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
NO. Absolutely not. Are we going to do this every time another country has to be bailed out and millions of their people want to go somewhere else? When does it end..? We already have enough problems with all the other illegals here....
Maybe we should make some trade -- more Haitians but the other illegals have to go to make room for them and free up jobs for them. One thing I notice about Haitians is that it seems a lot of them already know some English.

But really, we can't take in every impoverished person in the world, there are over 2 billion of them. When Indonesia has a tsunami, must we bring all of them to the USA and provide them a nice comfortable welfare life too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration