Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
I know that in MANY rural towns that their tax base is helped by immigration in general (legal or illegal, I can't speculate...no numbers off the top of my head). That's something to take into consideration, right?
Of course legal immigration is a bonus to our country. If it can be proven that no American will do a certain job at a fair wage by all means bring in a legal immigrant but immigrants waiting in their homelands can replace these illegal ones if they are needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
I don't think you understood what I wrote, because your point doesn't relate to the quote. Do want me to clarify?

Illegal and legal are constructs, right? At least for certain things (obviously bodily harm is more concrete and so is theft...illegal immigration is not theft, it's not recognized as such by the courts nor is theft unique to illegal immigration, nor do you have to commit theft with illegal immigration, just had to straighten that out). So if one day, which happened to me, a law changed and suddenly I'm a criminal (or not in my case) then it shows how fluid the def. of "criminal" and "non-criminal" are. You following?

Ok, if a town losses its tax base and employment base that's a loss. So if illegal immigrants were at said town and provided its tax and employment base, that's an asset to that town (the opposite to liability).
Let's take the 1400 Colonias already here. Outside of 2 that I can think of these could be removed from the map and the difference in savings due social services would mean zero change on a spreadsheet. Absolutely nothing.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,351,378 times
First time I went to Wal Mart in Tampa, Florida I thought I was in another country. When asking for help, the person spoke in another language to 3 other workers who pointed me toward an english speaking person. Talk about alarming and disconcerting! Am really avoiding that store.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM

65 posts, read 77,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Let's take the 1400 Colonias already here. Outside of 2 that I can think of these could be removed from the map and the difference in savings due social services would mean zero change on a spreadsheet. Absolutely nothing.
Nice speculation, but it just that.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
First time I went to Wal Mart in Tampa, Florida I thought I was in another country. When asking for help, the person spoke in another language to 3 other workers who pointed me toward an english speaking person. Talk about alarming and disconcerting! Am really avoiding that store.
Funny, I have relatives in Tampa, did you go to the Wal Mart on Fletcher? Because they spoke English perfectly.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:47 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Nice speculation, but it just that.
How is it speculation? They don't pay enough (mostly) to pay taxes. They still use social services. Lot's of what they make goes straight out of the Country as a remittance.

Do you think school, the ER, roads, WIC and other services are free? Really?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
I don't think you understood what I wrote, because your point doesn't relate to the quote. Do want me to clarify?

Illegal and legal are constructs, right? At least for certain things (obviously bodily harm is more concrete and so is theft...illegal immigration is not theft, it's not recognized as such by the courts nor is theft unique to illegal immigration, nor do you have to commit theft with illegal immigration, just had to straighten that out). So if one day, which happened to me, a law changed and suddenly I'm a criminal (or not in my case) then it shows how fluid the def. of "criminal" and "non-criminal" are. You following?

Ok, if a town losses its tax base and employment base that's a loss. So if illegal immigrants were at said town and provided its tax and employment base, that's an asset to that town (the opposite to liability).
Your argument is moot. It is illegal for a foreigner to be in the USA (or any other nation) without appropriate paperwork.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,328,873 times
Quote:

But their liability overall far outweighs them being an asset. They may be an asset to a few but a liabitlity to the majority of this country.

Illegal immigration may not constitute theft in itself but that is what most do after entering our country illegally. Theft of jobs, resources, taxes, etc.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How is it speculation? They don't pay enough (mostly) to pay taxes. They still use social services. Lot's of what they make goes straight out of the Country as a remittance.

Do you think school, the ER, roads, WIC and other services are free? Really?
According to Pew, most don't use social services. Most make enough to pay taxes (45k average income) Also, remittances sent via wire are still taxed (in the sense that the organization that wires the money pays taxes). If you sent money to your cousin in another country, why should you be taxed? It's your money to determine what you do with it.

It just seems that sometimes the info on here doesn't really take a good look at the data...but it always seems more emotion driven...

Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But their liability overall far outweighs them being an asset. They may be an asset to a few but a liabitlity to the majority of this country.

Illegal immigration may not constitute theft in itself but that is what most do after entering our country illegally. Theft of jobs, resources, taxes, etc.
How do you steal a job? I should tell my cousin since he's unemployed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration