Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM

264 posts, read 457,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin123 View Post
What a bunch of hypocrites you all are, Aimlessly accusing illegal immagrants as low life criminals who "scurry around when the light turns on" Shame on you is all I can say, I hope the day never comes when any of you have to know what it really feels like to feel the necessaty to leave your homeland. These are not "criminals" these are ordinary people like you and me. Just think, what would it take for you to want to risk your family's life and your own, and go to a foregn country which you dont know. It takes a lot of courage, fear , and bad situations. It is not these immigrants fault that their country is messed up, they are just looking for a better life for their family and themselves.
I'll have to remember that next time I commit a "smash and grab" at the local liquor store to "better my life for my family and myself". Now THAT takes courage!

And if its any consolation to you, I am starting to "to feel the necessaty to leave my homeland" on a daily basis now that I can no longer tell the difference between my city's suburbs and those of Oaxaca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin123 View Post
What a bunch of hypocrites you all are, Aimlessly accusing illegal immagrants as low life criminals who "scurry around when the light turns on" Shame on you is all I can say, I hope the day never comes when any of you have to know what it really feels like to feel the necessaty to leave your homeland. These are not "criminals" these are ordinary people like you and me. Just think, what would it take for you to want to risk your family's life and your own, and go to a foregn country which you dont know. It takes a lot of courage, fear , and bad situations. It is not these immigrants fault that their country is messed up, they are just looking for a better life for their family and themselves.
Speaking for myself I don't call all illegals low life criminals, however "some" are. Some of these may not be low life criminals but they all break our immigration laws by coming here illegally. I don't think it takes courage to break our laws to enter our country illegally, I think it takes a lot of gall and no consideration for the citizens of this country. In a way it is their fault that their country is messed up. Otherwise they would take all that so-called courage you are claiming they have and fix their own country. They don't have a right to a better life while breaking our laws to achieve it.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
First time I went to Wal Mart in Tampa, Florida I thought I was in another country. When asking for help, the person spoke in another language to 3 other workers who pointed me toward an english speaking person. Talk about alarming and disconcerting! Am really avoiding that store.
Which store is it? It would be understandable if, say, most of the customers did not know English - but it would be another matter if most of the staff at a major store chain would not know any English. It would be very surprising if an employee at Wal-Mart did not know enough English.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
Inglorious/that1guy, please stop this nonsense. You're only making yourself less credible. Have some class for once.
Back on topic folks.
Yac.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:02 PM

332 posts, read 644,186 times
Quote:
I hope the day never comes when any of you have to know what it really feels like to feel the necessaty to leave your homeland.
It's not Uncle Sam's fault that the Mexican government can not provide a 1st world standard of living for the majority of it's citizens.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Really? How would you know this?

Have you eaten out in the last 1 to infinite # of years, in Arizona?

If so, then you knowingly contributed. Have you knowingly visited businesses that required landscaping services? If so, then you knowingly contributed. Have you ever moved? Then chances are, the people moving you were illegal. Ever had dry cleaning done? Ever stayed in a hotel? Ever eaten a tomato, orange, apple, grape, beans,etc. that you didn't grow yourself? Then you knowingly contributed. Oil changed? Tires done? Basically anything at ALL, service related.

Just because you say you didn't know would require that your head was in the sand. And since you live in Mesa, then it is HIGHLY unlikely that you were just plain ignorant of the MILLIONS that live in the Phoenix area.
Proof please. Have you worked in every one of these fields? On every farm, every food establishment?
Pure conjecture nothing more.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Proof please. Have you worked in every one of these fields? On every farm, every food establishment?
Pure conjecture nothing more.
Since I am not their enemy, they, both business owners and illegals, are actually quite honest with me.

Farms , including our dairys, have beeen employing illegals since the depression. That one is a no brainer.

Restaurants started off employing them,, as (back-end help), such as busboys, and dishwashers. Then they quickly moved to cooking, and even up to management if their English was good enough. This was because they were qualified and had a good work ethic, and not as "slaves" or underpaid peasants.

I personally know business owners from Movers, to Tire Shops, and even Fast Food. They ALL employed illegals, and most had to let them go when E-Verify went into effect, because they feared ICE and Sheriff Joe. But, they also knew they were illegal, and since they had their proper paperwork, they were employed anyway, since their work ethic was far more superior than the average person. At least here in Az anyway.

So, no proof to offer. Except as a business owner myself.

I can tell you this much though. The ONLY good thing to come out of this "event" was the fact that now turnover is lower than it has EVER been. This is thanks to the recession though, and not only E-Verify. There are no jobs out there, and the few there are, are being gobbled up. It has been a wake up call to those who thought life was as easy as just filling out an application and then quitting without notice. Of course, it used to be this way, EVEN with the high illegal workforce. But the domino effect has happened, and it isn't turning around any time soon.

i know a buddy of mine who is the food service director at a resort here. He placed an ad in the paper for 6 bus boys after all 6 were found to be illegal, and then released. He received over 6,000 applications. Of course their pay and benefits were the primary reason for so many, but really? He was floored at the response.

Hopefully the good that comes from this is a stronger work ethic. A desire to finish school, and seek a higher education. And once the recession is over, maybe they will remember these days, and teach their children. But it will get worse, way worse, before it gets better.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Since I am not their enemy, they, both business owners and illegals, are actually quite honest with me.

Farms , including our dairys, have beeen employing illegals since the depression. That one is a no brainer.

Restaurants started off employing them,, as (back-end help), such as busboys, and dishwashers. Then they quickly moved to cooking, and even up to management if their English was good enough. This was because they were qualified and had a good work ethic, and not as "slaves" or underpaid peasants.

I personally know business owners from Movers, to Tire Shops, and even Fast Food. They ALL employed illegals, and most had to let them go when E-Verify went into effect, because they feared ICE and Sheriff Joe. But, they also knew they were illegal, and since they had their proper paperwork, they were employed anyway, since their work ethic was far more superior than the average person. At least here in Az anyway.

So, no proof to offer. Except as a business owner myself.

I can tell you this much though. The ONLY good thing to come out of this "event" was the fact that now turnover is lower than it has EVER been. This is thanks to the recession though, and not only E-Verify. There are no jobs out there, and the few there are, are being gobbled up. It has been a wake up call to those who thought life was as easy as just filling out an application and then quitting without notice. Of course, it used to be this way, EVEN with the high illegal workforce. But the domino effect has happened, and it isn't turning around any time soon.

i know a buddy of mine who is the food service director at a resort here. He placed an ad in the paper for 6 bus boys after all 6 were found to be illegal, and then released. He received over 6,000 applications. Of course their pay and benefits were the primary reason for so many, but really? He was floored at the response.

Hopefully the good that comes from this is a stronger work ethic. A desire to finish school, and seek a higher education. And once the recession is over, maybe they will remember these days, and teach their children. But it will get worse, way worse, before it gets better.
I grew up in Dairy country PA. I live in dairy country. Surrounded by Dairy Farms. Never in my 47 years have I known a small Dairy farmer to hire an illegal. Small being 150 cows or less. Small dairies produce the majority of Milk in this country.
The rst of your post was fair and well said. I disagree with much of it but you were civil and fair.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I grew up in Dairy country PA. I live in dairy country. Surrounded by Dairy Farms. Never in my 47 years have I known a small Dairy farmer to hire an illegal. Small being 150 cows or less. Small dairies produce the majority of Milk in this country.
The rst of your post was fair and well said. I disagree with much of it but you were civil and fair.
Oh, sorry. I should not have labeled the entire industry as such. I was referring to Arizona and California.

Clarification needed and respect given.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM

I wonder? Is this a case of simply hiring the first to apply and from an abundant source or is it simply greed and laziness?
Lets be fair here. Anyone who has worked with the latest generation of our youthful workers has experienced some level of shock. The shock that these kids actually believe we owe them an easy ride. I blame the parents. I watch as fathers mow their lawns while Jr. watches TV. Jr needs a new car because a used one simply won't do. Jr and little miss need cell phones because how can anyone live without such a thing?
Then they feel that their private conversations on the cell phone are the priority not their work, not their jobs.
As opposed to say my generation which I am sure was inferior to my fathers and his before.
My generation the majority of kids worked for saved for and bought their own first car. Our boss was allowed to yell at us for screwing up. Not so today. Dad cut the grass? Oh yes no doubt about it. If I was in the hospital with a dozen broken bones.
So today's employer does have a challenge in regards to the latest generation. That is unless he is hiring from farming country where parents still expect the product of their loins to develop a work ethic.

Last edited by tinman01; 03-12-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration