Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I'll be envious in winter, but 90+ degrees for 5 months straight is not "great" to me. I like Lake Michigan air conditioning periodically during our NE Illinois summers.
Its not not that bad, theres a nice breeze all day... it really doesn't feel that "hot" or humid .. It topped at 93 and I was wearing pants... I really want to test the winter though lol..my wife wants to come back to chicago for christmas...i told her, its time for them to come here lol

Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Its not not that bad, theres a nice breeze all day... it really doesn't feel that "hot" or humid .. It topped at 93 and I was wearing pants... I really want to test the winter though lol..my wife wants to come back to chicago for christmas...i told her, its time for them to come here lol
Glad it's working out for you so far.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:25 PM

Just an update! Still going strong in Texas! Heading back to Chicago for Thanksgiving! Sure do miss the food and family! Looking forward to it more than ever.

Anyone else bail out since 2014?

Old 11-15-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Glad it's working out for you so far.
Are you still out there? Im still a sox fan to this day! South Side!!!

Old 12-21-2019, 03:04 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
My wife and I tried Lexington Ky. and soon tired of the idiotic chatter of the hillrods and UK basketball fans and of the general servile manner exhibited in Kentucky. After three years we sold our house and moved back to Chicago. Living here is worth every ********** nickel.
And now you live in Texas

Old 12-21-2019, 02:42 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Just an update! Still going strong in Texas! Heading back to Chicago for Thanksgiving! Sure do miss the food and family! Looking forward to it more than ever.

Anyone else bail out since 2014?
No way!!!! Would never would leave Illinois because of how much I love Chicagoland! No other place like it. I am a transplant from the east coast, and have lived here close to 10 years.

Although, fortunately for me (and not to be ostentatious), finances are not really an issue. I live more than comfortably on my salary. I can definitely see why some would want to leave if they are negatively impacted by the state’s financial situation. Weather can take some getting used to, but I love the 4 seasons (albeit a looong winter).

Old 12-21-2019, 04:27 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No way!!!! Would never would leave Illinois because of how much I love Chicagoland! No other place like it. I am a transplant from the east coast, and have lived here close to 10 years.

Although, fortunately for me (and not to be ostentatious), finances are not really an issue. I live more than comfortably on my salary. I can definitely see why some would want to leave if they are negatively impacted by the state’s financial situation. Weather can take some getting used to, but I love the 4 seasons (albeit a looong winter).
I love it too. I do worry about the property tax situation for older and retired people.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:52 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I love it too. I do worry about the property tax situation for older and retired people.
I worry about it for everyone. But yea in generations past people bought houses, they appreciated in value and people could downsize in retirement and use the profit from their houses to help. Thanks to the Illinois Govt housing is stagnating or even declining, people may not be able to find a sucker, I mean buyer at all, and won't be able to afford the taxes when they stop working and get foreclosed on by the party of the working people.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:59 PM

997 posts, read 849,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I worry about it for everyone. But yea in generations past people bought houses, they appreciated in value and people could downsize in retirement and use the profit from their houses to help. Thanks to the Illinois Govt housing is stagnating or even declining, people may not be able to find a sucker, I mean buyer at all, and won't be able to afford the taxes when they stop working and get foreclosed on by the party of the working people.
Today I paid off (the amortization schedule was till March 2020) my last rental house. A few months early but didn’t feel the need to carry it over to the next year. House is worth at least double (conservatively) when I purchased it in 2005. The last one I bought (cash) off hubzue 12-23-14 has almost doubled, granted that was a foreclosure but it was in great shape besides needing a roof and some paint. My other 5 rentals bought in 2000 probably haven’t appreciated as much because of there location, but they make money and people like living there so not a big deal. My personal residence (1994) has also appreciated nicely. Not as good as my last rental but I’m very satisfied with the values in the area. Of course people that bought before the bubble didn’t fair as well. I’ve got relatives in Carbondale that have 15 rentals. They are worried (even though they are all paid off). Houses are not selling well down there (in spite of cheap taxes). Rauner had almost shut down SIU. It still has falling enrollments and that in turn has killed the mom and pop businesses and some of the chains. They are hoping funding gets restored and housing comes back so they can start selling them. They turn 65 next October and would like to unload the rentals.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
The conventional philosophy is that everyone is fleeing the State due to high taxes. But home values are also part of the equation. They have not gone up as much as many places. And if a solution to the high property taxes is found, todays buyers will look brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois