Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times

Advertisements

If that many non-smokers stay home because of smoke then it would behoove business owners to create non-smoking establishments, which is exactly what they do. Telling them what they can and can't do on their property is just inherently wrong- a concept I should think many Americans feel strongly about. But I guess personal liberties mean squat these days to people.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 PM

77 posts, read 187,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If that many non-smokers stay home because of smoke then it would behoove business owners to create non-smoking establishments, which is exactly what they do. Telling them what they can and can't do on their property is just inherently wrong- a concept I should think many Americans feel strongly about. But I guess personal liberties mean squat these days to people.
AMEN!!!!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Here's what gets me: if we're supposedly going to take away choice for the benefit of public health, it would seem to me the obvious thing to do would be to take away the choice to smoke at all. That would have a far, far greater impact on public health than banning smoking in places of public accommodation (the impact of which will be negligible), to say nothing of banning it in private clubs that are not even open to the public. I wish the Smoke Nazis would be honest enough to say that they just don't like smoke and they're too lazy to seek out the non-smoking establishments instead of hiding behind the cover of "public health."

Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Thank you!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
That's true that you can CHOOSE to go to a non-smoking bar if you want to go out but NOT inhale smoke, but really, how many people would go to a non-smoking bar if smoking bars were around? Even the non-smokers would have to elect to go to the smoking bars because all of their friends who smoke would not go to the non-smoking bar.

Saying that it should be amended so that there are smoking and non smoking bars is a fine idea, but it wouldn't work because the non-smoking bar would lose a TON of business to the smoking bars. So, none of the smoking bars would go no-smoking.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
Can't resist. Have to tell my short story. This changed my personal outlook on the public smoking topic.

Work maternity floor, taking new mom and baby to car that dad has brought to the circle drive. This is a smoke free facility in IL. Very big and clear signs that smokers are not to smoke at the entrance. This day, as most days, smokers were smoking there. Security cannot patrol this area exclusively (and shouldn't have to). We must exit through them, the other entrance at the ER is in same situation. Mom of baby says, and I quote her here, "How sad that my baby's first breath of the outside air had to be through second hand smoke".

End of story.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:22 AM

I don't understand what this has to do with anything. I don't think anyone has an issue with hospitals and areas outside of them being non-smoking. And while there are obviously some bad apples I think the majority of smokers are respectful and understanding of those kind of policies.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Can't resist. Have to tell my short story. This changed my personal outlook on the public smoking topic.

Work maternity floor, taking new mom and baby to car that dad has brought to the circle drive. This is a smoke free facility in IL. Very big and clear signs that smokers are not to smoke at the entrance. This day, as most days, smokers were smoking there. Security cannot patrol this area exclusively (and shouldn't have to). We must exit through them, the other entrance at the ER is in same situation. Mom of baby says, and I quote her here, "How sad that my baby's first breath of the outside air had to be through second hand smoke".

End of story.
And a couple breaths later it was of car exhaust. What do you have to say about that?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
That's true that you can CHOOSE to go to a non-smoking bar if you want to go out but NOT inhale smoke, but really, how many people would go to a non-smoking bar if smoking bars were around? Even the non-smokers would have to elect to go to the smoking bars because all of their friends who smoke would not go to the non-smoking bar.

Saying that it should be amended so that there are smoking and non smoking bars is a fine idea, but it wouldn't work because the non-smoking bar would lose a TON of business to the smoking bars. So, none of the smoking bars would go no-smoking.
There were plenty of non smoking bars and bar/grills in Chicago (at least) that were thriving for years even and the list was growing before Illinois decided to ruin the free market and take away freedom.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
I think it's wonderful, although I'm a non-smoker. I think it's peoples' personal choice as to whether they want to smoke, but non-smokers have NO choice except to breathe that smoke when out at a bar or club. I was kind of on the fence about this issue until I read about a bartender who got lung cancer--and never smoked a day in her life.
You know she could have got a job where smoking was not allowed or at least improved herself and her income prospects by earning a degree too. I bet she was loving all the cash tips she made from those smokers though. Nothing is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois