Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
I am loving the no-smoking law. I can finally go to a restaurant and not be walked through a smoke stack on the way to my "non-smoking, but still smoky" table.
I thought smoking has been banned in restaurants (without bars) in Illinois for a couple of years.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I thought smoking has been banned in restaurants (without bars) in Illinois for a couple of years.
Nope! Not in all of Illinois, just some specific towns (trust me, I grew up in a small town. You couldn't enter a restaurant without having a zillion people smoking until the 1st!).

Old 01-19-2008, 09:41 AM

77 posts, read 187,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
That's true that you can CHOOSE to go to a non-smoking bar if you want to go out but NOT inhale smoke, but really, how many people would go to a non-smoking bar if smoking bars were around? Even the non-smokers would have to elect to go to the smoking bars because all of their friends who smoke would not go to the non-smoking bar.

So you're saying the state should violate the property rights of thousands of business owners so you won't have to argue with your friends about weather to drink in a smoking, or non-smoking bar?!

maybe you should just find some new people to drink with!

Old 01-19-2008, 09:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Smoking should be banned everywhere except in your own home. If it is banned in ALL bars, what possible effect could it have on business? If people in bars want to smkoe, they can go outdoors and smoke. They do have exit doors in bars.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Smoking should be allowed in any business that wants to allow smoking.

In the alternative, I would enact legislation that would require a business to clearly mark their business as allowing, or not allowing smoking.

Then, let the patrons decide: If someone is a non smoker, and does wish to patronize a private business, they can go elsewhere. If the business suffers, then that was the businesses choice.

Let the market place decide

Not the government

Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM

It's scary to me that so many people in the United States, the supposed "land of the free", either:

a)Don't really understand what freedom is.
b)Want freedom for themselves, but nobody else.
c)Don't think people are intelligent enough to think for themselves(need to be taken care of, for their own good)

d)Really just don't want the U.S. to be a free country anymore.

Makes you wonder what kind of society we'll all be living in twenty years from now.

Last edited by boris63; 01-19-2008 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: mispelled words

Old 01-19-2008, 10:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Keep the ban full fledged! I won't vote for any politician who wants to repeal the ban. Period. It's the only decent thing our legislature has done this year, other than transit funding--which should have been a bigger priority.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris63 View Post
It's scary to me that so many people in the United States, the supposed "land of the free", either:

a)Don't really understand what freedom is.
b)Want freedom for themselves, but nobody else.
c)Don't think people are intelligent enough to think for themselves(need to be taken care of, for their own good)

d)Really just don't want the U.S. to be a free country anymore.

Makes you wonder what kind of society we'll all be living in twenty years from now.
That's so completely ridiculous. If they try to limit freedom of speech or religion, then get angry. Heck, I can even understand the anger about limiting the right to bear arms. But there is no right to smoke in public guaranteed anywhere, and there shouldn't be. We have always had MANY laws regulating behavior in public places. You can't harass people, get too drunk, urinate on the sidewalk, or play your music too loud at night. These are all worthwhile laws that place limitations on public behavior, but benefit the public as a whole. Quit trying to make the smoking ban into some sort of totalitarian attack on freedom! It's just not!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM

52 posts, read 190,563 times
Work places are building smoking shelters now.At thier cost.Smokers walk off the job when they need a smoke,to go outside.Figure 5 minutes a cigarette,maybe 10 a day at work(conservative).That's 50 minutes to an hour a day scewing off outside.In a large plant multiply that by hundreds of employees.That's going to cost businesses a ton.When are non-smokers going to insist that they get shelters too and 50 minutes outside to just hang out while the smokers get thier fix.We are turning into a nation of whining panzies.Government,Butt out! Everybody else, shut up and get back to work!If you don't like your job,find another one.If you don't like the bar or restaurant,find another one.The only smoking ban that should be in effect is for public places that you don't have a choice to be there or not.Post Offices,Hospitals,Airports,Bus Stations,etc... .Anywhere else is just to satisfy whiners. I am a non-smoker.Light up guys,It's OK by me.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
That's so completely ridiculous. If they try to limit freedom of speech or religion, then get angry. Heck, I can even understand the anger about limiting the right to bear arms. But there is no right to smoke in public guaranteed anywhere, and there shouldn't be. We have always had MANY laws regulating behavior in public places. You can't harass people, get too drunk, urinate on the sidewalk, or play your music too loud at night. These are all worthwhile laws that place limitations on public behavior, but benefit the public as a whole. Quit trying to make the smoking ban into some sort of totalitarian attack on freedom! It's just not!
You don't get it. It's not about smokers rights, it's about property rights. The right to private property is every bit as fundamental to freedom as freedom of speach or religion.

Bars and restaurants are their owners "private" peoperty, not public property! Telling a business owner what to allow on his/her private property is no different than telling you what you can/can't do in your own home!

Do you want the state to start regulating what you can do in your own home?!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois