Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times

Advertisements

I love Indiana!

Indiana is a great state to raise a family in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,518 times
Default Is now the right time?

Hello All,
We've been thinking of leaving CA for a few years now. We're looking for areas close enough to Indianapolis to not have a horrendous commute, while maintaining distance from the inner city. Among places we're considering: Mooresville, Fishers, Plainfield, etc. I'm wondering how the job market is out there at this time. I'm in the bldg. maintenance field. Also, how burdening are the property taxes there? Finally, is there a bad attitude towards newcomers especially from CA? I'm like one of the last radically conservative people left here, so I should fit in decently. We basically want to raise our kids in a more wholesome, much less liberal environment while still having access to good schools and opportunities. Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:46 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,562,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzriffs View Post
Hello All,
We've been thinking of leaving CA for a few years now. We're looking for areas close enough to Indianapolis to not have a horrendous commute, while maintaining distance from the inner city. Among places we're considering: Mooresville, Fishers, Plainfield, etc. I'm wondering how the job market is out there at this time. I'm in the bldg. maintenance field. Also, how burdening are the property taxes there? Finally, is there a bad attitude towards newcomers especially from CA? I'm like one of the last radically conservative people left here, so I should fit in decently. We basically want to raise our kids in a more wholesome, much less liberal environment while still having access to good schools and opportunities. Thanks for any info. you can provide.
As a conservative, you should do well in Indiana. Is is a nice place to raise a family. Pretty much all Indianapolis suburbs are really nice--some more expensive to live than others. Carmel and Fishers--both in Hamilton County-- are easily the nicest and most expensive. No suburb of Indianapolis is any more than 30 minutes from downtown Indianapolis.

Yes, property taxes are way less than in CA. Hoosiers like to complain, thinking their property taxes are too high, but they're not.

As far as schools goes, anything but Indianapolis Public Schools (IPS) would suffice. the Indianapolis area is blessed with tons of private and parochial shools.

The job market is struggling, like everywhere else. But it will improve. If it helps, Indianapolis was just ranked the #1 city for college graduates. And Indy has the healthiest job market in the Midwest, as it does the fastest-growing metropolitan population.

And there are a number of things to do as well. Its within a few hours drive to major Midwest markets, if you wanted to do things in other cities.

Hope all this helps. Welcome to Indianapolis!!!

Old 05-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Even though the city of Indianapolis and San Francisco are very similar in city proper population, they are very different. Do not expect Indy to be like San Fran. And dont set your sights too high. Although Indy isnt necessarily boring, its isnt as high profile as San Fran. But being a conservative, it may not take you as long to get adjusted as it would most people from SF.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Even though the city of Indianapolis and San Francisco are very similar in city proper population, they are very different. Do not expect Indy to be like San Fran. And dont set your sights too high. Although Indy isnt necessarily boring, its isnt as high profile as San Fran. But being a conservative, it may not take you as long to get adjusted as it would most people from SF.

Thanks, krock1dk. Sounds like what I've been looking for. I was born and raised here in Ca, but have never really felt at home. I have good friends in W. Lafayette and some family on the outskirts of Indianapolis. I have visited and really liked it there. I'm actually out in the suburbs here and never go to "The City" anyway. It's just not my cup of tea. It's nice to get the perspectives of people who don't have any stake in our moving out there, so I really appreciate your responses. Do you have any idea how the commute would be from Noblesville to Indianapolis? I have to go into this with the assumption that I'd have to work in the city. My commute now is about 45 mins, but moves about 70 mph for about 3/4 of it. As long as I'm not in gridlock, I can't complain too much. Anyway, thanks again.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks, krock1dk. Sounds like what I've been looking for. I was born and raised here in Ca, but have never really felt at home. I have good friends in W. Lafayette and some family on the outskirts of Indianapolis. I have visited and really liked it there. I'm actually out in the suburbs here and never go to "The City" anyway. It's just not my cup of tea. It's nice to get the perspectives of people who don't have any stake in our moving out there, so I really appreciate your responses. Do you have any idea how the commute would be from Noblesville to Indianapolis? I have to go into this with the assumption that I'd have to work in the city. My commute now is about 45 mins, but moves about 70 mph for about 3/4 of it. As long as I'm not in gridlock, I can't complain too much. Anyway, thanks again.
From Noblesville into Indianapolis or vice-versa is at least 30-mins, sometimes an hour during rush hour. Nonetheless, I'm sure you will find much easier commutes than in CA. Hoosiers like to complain about the alleged "heavy" traffic, but most of them making the claims havent seen just how bad traffic can really be in cities known for it. Noblesville is an EXCELLENT community. Its among the fastest-growing communities in the state, being in Hamilton county, the state's fastest growing county. I hope you like Indiana. Welcome.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,659 times
will i was born in greencastle indiana, i have lived in california since 1959 it was nice then but the last years it has gotten so crowed to many buildings,i some times wished my parents did not move here but they were looking for a better future as it is i lost both of them one at 52 and the other 59. i am now 57 i think a slower place would be nice to live in sitting on your front porch not wondering if there will be a drive by shooting. My family were the brattains,dunns. for any of you that might still be there you made a good choice. Kathy

Old 05-28-2009, 10:18 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,482,256 times
Quote:
We are obviously two complete opposites. You are conservative and want to leave CA, I am liberal and want to leave IN for CA, but I can totally get where your coming from as far as not feeling "at home" in CA, that's how I feel here in Indiana. But by the sounds of it you should do great here. Good luck on your move to the Hoosier state!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,255,042 times
People shouldn't expect the place where they're moving to be like the place they're leaving. If they're leaving a place because of traffic, COL, whatever, then any other place that may have positives will NOT be exactly like your own home, nor should it and nor should we try to change it. I grew up in Chicago but I left when I was 18 and have lived in at least seven other states, including CA. Indiana is the heartland and her people are salt of the earth and I hope they stay that way.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
Default California to Indiana

Having moved from Napa to Bloomington, I hope this helps. The obvious, your housing and property taxes are incredibly less expensive. You'll get much better housing for lots less. Contrary to what you may read, the schools in Indiana are excellent, don't let the political types fool you. Be choosy where you live, do your research and visit. Bloomington is a terrific town in which to live, many programs for you and your kids, a top notch YMCA, huge lake just out of town, a place to worship for everyone, and of course, all of the good characteristics of a major university. If you like sports and/or music, B-town is hard to beat. Many ethnic and locally owned restaurants, smaller, specialized retail stores but a mall that is fair at best. No doubt, southern Indiana is a different culture yet the people here are friendly, helpful and caring. Welcome home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana