Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,738,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.Believe View Post
Avon was a nice area but only one road to get there and it was kinda getto driving on 10th st all the way to Avon--we just didn't care for it.
Taking 36 (aka: Rockville Road) into Avon is much nicer, 10th is not the only road coming into Avon. Rockville actually takes you into the main area of Avon instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,623 times
Indiana has the Largest Active KKK

Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 AM

34 posts, read 178,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdol View Post
We are looking and looking at the maps here and making a grid of closer places to live near Indy. My husbands company is on the northwest side of the city so we are looking in a radius of 20-45 min drive time.
I have found many,many homes here. I am looking forward to living there as it is very depressing here in Modesto. I know all too well being an outsider. When we moved here it took me eight months to get a job because we were considered b.a.t.s.(bay area transplants). Old timers here do not like the houses being bought by people from the bay area..it has driven the housing market up and the groceries and other products. The bay area is so expensive you live for your bills and have no life unless you make 150,000 a yr.
I hope to find a job as well in my new home area but hope it will be sooner than it was here.
If anyone knows of someone selling a home on 5 acres or more let me know.It has to an easy commute to Indy.
Well your checking the right state and let me tell you my Ex- wife is from modesto and I can say this is nothing toward you and this is nothing personal. California and this includes the valley of california (modesto) they treated me like I was a dirty good for nothing and a non-educated southern (southerns are not uneducated) and my ex wife mother asked me if Indiana was in the south near Texas now this women went to college in california and just out right told me that I was a southern. Now I can see were some people call Indiana south (no offense southern Indiana) but hoosiers do have a twang south of 30. People from california say we have no culture, uneducated, and die in the city we were born. Now the dieing in the city that were born thing true but its a good thing I don't want to be buried in a place I don't know that well. You have picked a good state I forget who stated this but the person was right some people in California would be alot better off and be happier in Indiana. Now the whole KKK thing now yes we do have KKK here and you know they get no respect from me and I'm white. Those are the small minded, uneducated people of the state. We all are not just nice to your face many genuinely mean being nice to you thier are few bad apples in this state but hey we get by and ignore them as hoosiers have for many years and you know those are the people that just move to the state then move away cause maybe we didn't have enough people for them. Us hoosiers who have no culture. Yuo know that in the town I live in thier are many races and I accept them all because thier people two and they have good days and bad days like any of us. Also before I stop my ranting let me be the first to welcome you to Indiana cyberdol. We hope your move goes well.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Carmel is a nice area. Expensive though.The Greater Indianapolis area should have a lot of things you want. It is NOT San Francisco. But it is a good place and you can find a lot to do. It is very affordable. The 500K you'd spend in California will buy you a mansion and more here.
Carmel schools are good. I hear Westfield and Noblesville are nice too.
I am not liberal nor conservative. I am convinced that if you have a good income, you can be happy almost anywhere.
I second that notion !

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJack View Post
Boy do I emphathize!
In 2004 we picked up lock, stock and barrel to leave wonderful, peaceful, and very pleasant Sacramento, CA for the Tampa Bay area of Florida! It was a family necessity, or so we thought at the time - (later the necessity evaporated with an untimely death) - but we girded our loins and headed to the SunShine State. I hated to leave Sacramento.

Florida was a pure nightmare! Rude people, unbelievable traffic problems, incompetent local government(they had to rebuild 2 brand new local bridges!) and of course the oppresive humidity! Then we were shocked to discover that the Cost of Living in Florida was even higher than the COL in CA! Nothing was cheap! We couldn't get out of there fast enough! Unfortunately we had purchased a "fixer" home to give me something to do, so I had to complete repairs and such before we could market the home - but we were lucky - the home sold in 30 days and the market didn't hurt us too bad. Two years in Florida was enough for me!

The daughter was in Fishers, so we thought why not go there? Bought a small house and started to enjoy the grandkids. We couldn't be happier. Great neighborhood, close to malls and freeways, yet it has a country flavor. And the COL is significantly less than either CA or FL.

We're still discovering the area, but we've found a couple of good fishing holes, a few decent restaurants(we love Ruth's Chris), and met some quality people. All in all, Indiana is not too bad. It sure ain't Sacramento - being 2 hours from Tahoe and 2 hours from San Francisco and great weather - but it's not bad.

I'll know more after we've experienced a winter here, but I suspect we'll soon become real Hoosiers!

Regards and best of luck.
TraderJack
Welcome to Indiana if you like camping or anything out doors just try turkey run or anything else and hopefully your not swamped with 2 feet of snow like in Northwest IN but hey come on up here for the summer and check out some of the fests. Once agian welcome To the Crossroads of America. I f you have lived for awhile then hey old friend.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It was beautiful this morning, but now it's raining ...

What the nomes are really saying.

Joe: Hey bob I'm freezing
Bob: I know Joe just keep warm are shifts over then its Larry and Bill's turn they have the night shift.
Joe: I hope they know that it will be in the teens.
Bob: Me too Joe. Joe cars coming smile and keep still. We have to look cute for the people driven by.
Joe: I know Bob its not like I just started the job yesterday.
Bob: I know I forget sometimes I'm getting up thier.
Joe: Oh! How was your birthday yesterday.
Bob: Good! John the new guy got drunk and started to dance on the dining room table with Julie from the P.R. Deparment.
Joe: Wow sounds like a fun night.
Bob: Yeah.
Joe: Sorry I couldn't come I covered for John accutly.
Bob: Thats ok.
Joe: Well you want to go inside and get some coco its our break.
Bob: Sure!

Joe and bob walk in to get some coco.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseifrig View Post
Indiana has the Largest Active KKK
And your statistical information is coming from ....

Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regionrat1 View Post
What the nomes are really saying.

Joe: Hey bob I'm freezing
Bob: I know Joe just keep warm are shifts over then its Larry and Bill's turn they have the night shift.
Joe: I hope they know that it will be in the teens.
Bob: Me too Joe. Joe cars coming smile and keep still. We have to look cute for the people driven by.
Joe: I know Bob its not like I just started the job yesterday.
Bob: I know I forget sometimes I'm getting up thier.
Joe: Oh! How was your birthday yesterday.
Bob: Good! John the new guy got drunk and started to dance on the dining room table with Julie from the P.R. Deparment.
Joe: Wow sounds like a fun night.
Bob: Yeah.
Joe: Sorry I couldn't come I covered for John accutly.
Bob: Thats ok.
Joe: Well you want to go inside and get some coco its our break.
Bob: Sure!

Joe and bob walk in to get some coco.
And it was good

Old 02-27-2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks domergurl

Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 16,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal View Post
Don't go to Indiana! Move to Ohio or Kentucky. I've lived all over Indiana; Brownstown, Salem, Little York, Scottsburg, Muncie, West Lafayette. I was born and raised in Indiana and went to college at Purdue University. I knew it was bad but I never realized how bad it was until I left. Yes, everything in Indiana is less expensive than in California; but Ohio and Kentucky also have a low cost of living. The teachers and many others in Indiana are over-worked and under-paid. I don't have time to go into great detail; take my word for it stay away from IN.
That's so wrong. I live in Indiana and not every1 is underpaid unless they have a lame and easy job. Indiana is awesome. Ohio is where the low pay is at. Its really boring. I go 2 Ohio every week so I would know. Indiana is much bttr bcuz theres alot more places here. In Indiana theres lots more things 2 chose from. Much larger variety of places in Indiana. But i dont know bcuz i dnt live in the places u named. I go 2 a magnet school which is very good. I would stay in California though. I want 2 move there 4 my carrer^_^It does depend on wat part of Ohio u r in though, but overall I pick Indiana*cheers for a great debate*
Dnt take affensive. just saying wat i think as a reply 2 ur statment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana