Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 AM

22 posts, read 59,159 times

Advertisements

I might have a job possibilty in Rockville...I have lived in Ca for many years but am originally from Southfield, Mi
...no family, just me...are apt or home rentals available?.... or at least a close commute??...thanks!
(another Conservative here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 PM

14 posts, read 48,241 times
I grew up in Ft. Wayne. I have lived in Indianapolis, many places, Fishers, Carmel, Zionsville.
I think you would appreciate any town in the North like Fishers, Noblesville, Westfield, Carmel, Zionsville. Many of these areas still have parts that feel small, but have a lot of amenities. Traffic can be bad in some parts.
I am actually interested in learning more about why you are leaving CA. I work for a marketing firm and we are doing some research for Watsonville, CA for the Economic development for this city. I would love to hear more about your view of living in that area. I can also give you more info about moving here. Are you interested in discussing more?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:11 PM

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The cost of living here is much better. THe housing price alone will be greatly improved. The quality of air, life is good in Indiana. You may culturally shocked by our size. Many of us are just now appreciating a more healthy way of eating and living. We have been corn fed for generations, so organic foods, and excersize by choice are a new way of thinking as of the recent trends. But, you will soon find that you have much in common with people here. It's just a matter of finding those people and activities that share your interest.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:17 PM

I see. Avon is not your choice. They are right in line with the Airport. But Avon is a smaller, but very quickly growing town. It not like it used to be. I think you may like Zionsville, or Fortville. You know any town in Indiana will probably feel a lot less sprawling than CA. But, if you can visit ahead of time, you really should. Try going to this site. Ask for a relocation package.
[url=http://8greattowns.com/]Home | Hamilton County Indiana[/url]

Have you visited the visitor's center of the towns yet?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM

I disagree about the food. In general the midwest does not have access to the freshest seafood, so compared to east ans west coast there is some truth to this. But there are some fabulous resterants that fly food in.
Look, what most people don't know, is that Indiana and Ohio are the "beta" sites for many resteraunts, retail shops. If it does not work here, sometimes they don't bother building elsewhere. FASHION!!! now that is a problem. Indiana is a little behind the times compared to Chicago, even. It takes a while for fashion trends to come our way. THere are some really great resteraunts, you just need to keep trying or ask around.

I think Indiana is a little diamond in the rough. I am very traveled, but I still think this is a great state. I enjoy living here. I can always get thrills all over the nation and the world but always come back here. I think many people are more pleasantly surprised than they are dissapointed by Indiana. And It is more diverse than most people think. The hospitals, universities, pharmaceutical companies, corpororations have transplanted so many different kinds of people here, that it is NOT as backwards and many have you believe.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 59,159 times
Thanks for all the info, dragonflyer!. Rockville is one of a couple of places in the Midwest I have been looking into. I have thought of a move to the Indiana or Michigan area for some time. Ca is just too expensive for where I would like to live in the state...in the retail field I am in, my meager paycheck would go much further in the midwest...and I do miss that small-town feel and way of life.
I've never stopped in Watsonville, but been by on the way to Monterey or points further north. I'm in Orcutt at the moment, which is about 65 miles north of Santa Barbara. SB is one of the most beautiful cities you can live in but also one of the most expensive.
I have yet to make a trip back there recently...maybe in the middle of July.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,751 times
Question regarding conservative "religious" folk in Indiana....I live in california and am considered to be a "conservative religous person" but I am LDS (Mormon). How are members of my conservative religion viewed in conservative Indiana?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:18 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-momma View Post
Question regarding conservative "religious" folk in Indiana....I live in california and am considered to be a "conservative religous person" but I am LDS (Mormon). How are members of my conservative religion viewed in conservative Indiana?
Any form of Conservatism is welcome in Indiana (not by myself, but by the masses here). I'm a bleeding heart liberal and proud, but I live in one of the most conservative states in the union. If your coming from CA which is mainly liberal but your Conservative you will like it here. I assure you.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
Default Hello Cyberdol -a year later

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdol View Post
We are looking and looking at the maps here and making a grid of closer places to live near Indy. My husbands company is on the northwest side of the city so we are looking in a radius of 20-45 min drive time.
I have found many,many homes here. I am looking forward to living there as it is very depressing here in Modesto. I know all too well being an outsider. When we moved here it took me eight months to get a job because we were considered b.a.t.s.(bay area transplants). Old timers here do not like the houses being bought by people from the bay area..it has driven the housing market up and the groceries and other products. The bay area is so expensive you live for your bills and have no life unless you make 150,000 a yr.
I hope to find a job as well in my new home area but hope it will be sooner than it was here.
If anyone knows of someone selling a home on 5 acres or more let me know.It has to an easy commute to Indy.
Sorry if I goof..new to this site. Cyberdol, You may have found something... but myself and family live in a great medium sized town north east of Indianapolis (50 minutes away with 2 hiways to use for Indy). It's Muncie- known for David Letterman, Ball canning Jars and other things. We have 6 acres with 4-Hgoats, a lama and more and have lived here for 18 years. It's a home for anyone. Unfortunately my work keeps pulling me to upper left Illinois, so I should began looking for a good family to sell to. It's a neat older house with the 9foot ceilings and neat woodwork in most rooms. I'll check site later. M

Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-momma View Post
The conservativeness of Indiana is somewhat overblown, IMO. True, Republicans are more numerous here, but that conservatism tends to be more of the fiscal variety than the social one. As for religion, Indiana is largely dominated by Catholics and mainline Protestant denominations. Sure, evangelicals are present, but they're not nearly as numerous or noisy as they are in southern states (based on my observation having lived in Arkansas during my high school and college years). There are no dry counties here. We have gambling and a lottery. There really hasn't been much of a movement to codify a ban on gay marriage in the state constitution. Any such effort thus far has been thwarted by our Republican governor.

As for LDS, they're here, but in small numbers. I don't think you'll have a problem with folks expressing negativity towards LDS people. Again, I contrast that with a Bible-belt state like Arkansas, where Mormons are viewed largely as a cult.

This is still largely a live-and-let-live kinda place. But, if you're of the door-knocking variety, you may have to excuse us if we run into our homes when we see you coming. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana