Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this High-Speed Rail Proposal?
Yes 32 74.42%
No 8 18.60%
Unsure 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times

Advertisements

High Speed Rail between Chicago and Fort Wayne and Indianapolis would be awesome. I think overlooking Fort Wayne would be a mistake. Overall I see this as part of an inevitable future where such transportation exists between all the mid to large sized cities. New technology makes rail very affordable (much more so than flying) and the only obstacle is that there needs to be enough investor backing to get such an initially expensive project started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
High Speed Rail between Chicago and Fort Wayne and Indianapolis would be awesome. I think overlooking Fort Wayne would be a mistake. Overall I see this as part of an inevitable future where such transportation exists between all the mid to large sized cities. New technology makes rail very affordable (much more so than flying) and the only obstacle is that there needs to be enough investor backing to get such an initially expensive project started.
Fort Wayne is 100 miles out of the way.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Where would stops be needed on a Cincy-Indy-Chicago rail line? Batesville? Lafayette? Rennsellear? Vevay? I mean.........what's the point? We already have the (I know, not hsr) Amtrak line that stops in every podunk town between here and Chicago.
Chicken and the Egg Syndrome.

Urban areas develop because of HSR, not the other way around.

Why did NYC and Chicago become such large cities? Ports and rail.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:01 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Quote:
Lafayette I can see. Merrillville as part of Chicago, I guess. Crawfordsville? No. Vevay? No. Batesville? No.
Yeah, that would be the one improvement I would do on the route. Indiana's two most progressive cities, Bloomington and Columbus, are close enough to the route that they could be included and not slow it down terribly. And you'd get a ton of demand from both cities and to both cities. Right there I think the ridership numbers could really work out well.

The way I see it:
Cincinnati => Hamilton/Oxford OH => Greensburg IN => Columbus IN => Bloomington IN => Indianapolis => Lafayette => Merrillville/Gary/NW Indiana => Chicago. No other stops.

You're right you won't be getting many users from places like Batesville. No point in even having a stop.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
You're right you won't be getting many users from places like Batesville. No point in even having a stop.
Yea, why stop at small towns that could use an economic boost?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

About time someone posted this... exactly. And this is why mid-sized cities such as Fort Wayne shouldn't be over-looked for this type of project. There's only two cities of significant size in Indiana, if both were connected to each other AND Chicago via high speed rail, Indiana would see some serious benefit and ROI.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
^You know the Feds are also considering a high-speed rail proposal from Columbus to Chicago via Fort Wayne and South Bend... overall that route would make more sense than Ft. Wayne, south to Indy, and back north to Chicago.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Quote:
Lafayette I can see. Merrillville as part of Chicago, I guess. Crawfordsville? No. Vevay? No. Batesville? No.
What does this have to do with anything? Let's not turn this into some kind of my city is better than yours pissing match.
Who turned this into a pissing contest? The proposal and topic is Chicago to Indy to Cincinnati.
And who's saying that no one would want to go from Indy to Cincy? Or is it an implication that this
is merely to please only those who want to go to Chicago/Indy and/or Indy to Chicago?

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 10-31-2014 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: error

Old 10-31-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
About time someone posted this... exactly. And this is why mid-sized cities such as Fort Wayne shouldn't be over-looked for this type of project. There's only two cities of significant size in Indiana, if both were connected to each other AND Chicago via high speed rail, Indiana would see some serious benefit and ROI.
Fort Wayne to Chicago is fine. Not on a line that originates in Indianapolis. That makes zero sense.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Are you suggesting high speed rail is going to turn Indianapolis and Cincinnati into mini-Manhattans?

Right now; Indianapolis is trying to build up its own mass transit. That would have a much bigger impact on urban Indianapolis development than HSR between Indy and anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana