Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this High-Speed Rail Proposal?
Yes 32 74.42%
No 8 18.60%
Unsure 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:11 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Would the train to Cincy even be viable? The train to Chicago may not be profitable, but it would probably at least make up a large enough portion of its own costs to be viable. The train to Cincy - I don't think so.
Lots of talk on here concerning HSR TO Cincinnati being a waste from a leisure standpoint (as in, "Why in the world would enough people want to go to Cincinnati?") but not much looking at it as HSR FROM Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:57 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Lots of talk on here concerning HSR TO Cincinnati being a waste from a leisure standpoint (as in, "Why in the world would enough people want to go to Cincinnati?") but not much looking at it as HSR FROM Cincinnati.
The takeaway shouldn't be "why in the world would people want to go to Cincinnati". The takeaway should be "I wish Cincinnati had better transit to make riding a train there a legit option."

Cincinnati could be the most cultured and entertaining city in the lower midwest, I still won't take a train there if I need a car to get around once I am there.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
High speed rail is unlikely to happen. Nationally Amtrak saw increases in ridership, except for the Indiana line. The only way high speed rail might work is if it avoided all of the stops people are proposing in this thread. All of the stops are what prevents people from riding in my opinion. One needs to make it faster and more convenient than driving. That's not the case with multiple stops.

Just announced in the last few days:

Ridership drop another blow for Indiana rail line - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Old 11-10-2014, 09:06 AM

61 posts, read 127,125 times
I'd pay extra just to not have to drive up godforsaken I-65 between Indy and Chicago. 74 to Cincinnati doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Used to take the Megabus from Madison, WI, to Minneapolis. It was as fast as any train, perfectly comfortable, had free wi-fi, and seemed safe. The nearest Amtrak line was from Columbus, WI (20 miles from Madison), took longer than the Megabus and cost about $100 round-trip. (Megabus tickets, booked at least two weeks in advance, usually set me back about 20 bucks round-trip for a 4 1/2 ride each way.)

As enjoyable as riding a train can be, Amtrak definitely doesn't make things easy. The schedules have to take too much into account. The Cardinal leaves Indy for Chicago at 6 AM and brings you back just before midnight. Those hours just suck. And Indianapolis Union Station isn't really a train station anymore. It's a tacky luxury hotel. Not like there's anywhere cool or safe to hang out around Union Station while you're waiting on your train at 5:30 AM.

Durham, NC, has an awesome little refurbished train station, with regular local trains that leave for the major Piedmont cities at better hours than 6 AM. Also multiple times a day. The new local North Carolina trains are spiffy, a lot cleaner than the work-horse Amtrak trains that run on the East Coast. You see a lot of people riding from Durham over to Greensboro and Raleigh (a quick trip and so much more relaxing and interesting than driving on the interstates around there.)

Amtrak might (*might*) see ridership on the Indiana line go up if it brought in a double-decker train with an observation car, like they have on trains out West and on the City of New Orleans.

Why isn't there a rail line between Indy and Louisville, or Cincy and Louisville? Louisville went from being a major railroad hub to having zero (0) passenger service.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
New article:

On Track

Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I might come back and vote in the poll. As it is now, I would lean no, because of the two part nature of the poll.

HSR between Indy and Chicago, yes, I would be in favor. Not only would I be in favor, I would probably use it multiple times a year.

HSR between Indy and Cincinnati; this is where you have to sell the idea that it is good for the region. Maybe it is; but I can not imagine any scenario in which I would want to take a train to Cincinnati.
Except Cincinnati is already much closer to Indy than is Chicago, but still far enough away that the idea of taking a train would be attractive. Of course Chicago being the dominant city of the Midwest would be well served by having a highspeed rail line connecting the smaller and varying Midwest cities to it, like Minneapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, Indy, Cleveland, etc. However, these smaller cities would also likely benefit by being more connected to one another, I really think Indianapolis-Cincinnati-Louisville will continue to grow closer together, sharing more trade between each other. They're still pretty far apart now, but in the next 30 or so years I could see them growing closer together, much like San Antonio and Austin now are.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Except Cincinnati is already much closer to Indy than is Chicago, but still far enough away that the idea of taking a train would be attractive. Of course Chicago being the dominant city of the Midwest would be well served by having a highspeed rail line connecting the smaller and varying Midwest cities to it, like Minneapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, Indy, Cleveland, etc. However, these smaller cities would also likely benefit by being more connected to one another, I really think Indianapolis-Cincinnati-Louisville will continue to grow closer together, sharing more trade between each other. They're still pretty far apart now, but in the next 30 or so years I could see them growing closer together, much like San Antonio and Austin now are.
Until Cincinnati has an option to get around without a car; I am not taking a train there. I don't care how close it is.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
High speed rail is unlikely to happen. Nationally Amtrak saw increases in ridership, except for the Indiana line. The only way high speed rail might work is if it avoided all of the stops people are proposing in this thread. All of the stops are what prevents people from riding in my opinion. One needs to make it faster and more convenient than driving. That's not the case with multiple stops.

Just announced in the last few days:

Ridership drop another blow for Indiana rail line - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
I agree. The few stops along the way would only serve a handful of already tiny cities that wouldn't really contribute to ridership. The main principal cities are the important stops. You won't have many people hoping to stop at Greensburg on their way between Indy and Cincy.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Until Cincinnati has an option to get around without a car; I am not taking a train there. I don't care how close it is.
Well, other than Chicago, what Midwest city does allow you to get around practically without a car?

Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well, other than Chicago, what Midwest city does allow you to get around practically without a car?
None. That's the point.

I like the idea of rail connecting Indy to Cincinnati. But we have to balance reality with our wet dream fantasies. Right now, rail to Cincinnati is a bad idea. I still need to get a car once I am there. I-74 is not a difficult road to drive on. It is a completely different situation than driving to Chicago. I don't need a car in Chicago. I-65/Skyway/Dan Ryan are all a pain in the rear to travel on. Parking is a hassle in Chicago. It makes sense to not have to drive to Chicago. It makes no sense in the case of Cincinnati.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 12-05-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana