Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this High-Speed Rail Proposal?
Yes 32 74.42%
No 8 18.60%
Unsure 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:03 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
None. That's the point.
Exactly. And that's why HSR will never, ever work in the Midwest. Even Chicago, the only Midwest city with good transit, doesn't have particularly high transit share relative to other big cities. It has lower transit share than Boston, SF, and DC, and less than half the transit share of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:47 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Years ago, you could ride a passenger train from Cincinnati to Chicago via Indianapolis. You still can, although via a convoluted route.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_(train)

Old 12-19-2014, 11:09 PM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
After reading 6 pages of feedback here it's obvious and apparent that few if any of you have ever taken a ride in a HSR in Asia or Europe. The point about HSR is cutting your commute by 1/3 to 1/2 from point to point - there are many other methods of transportation from train station to your destination. Anyone here ever take the Megabus up to Chicago? It's often completely full (thanks to the people from Cincinnati) and that's a point-to-point transport, and there's zero incentive for a private company to do this unless they're making money (and they are). I think the HSR would work if people realize how great something like that is.

Oh and BTW if the "conservatives" and "pro business" folks here are true to their words, then they would support open bidding on the entire HSR system, farmed out/leased out the way Mitch My Man (not mine but maybe yours) sold our toll roads so very little tax payer money would go to this worthwhile endeavor while we continue to give $$$ to the wealthiest Americans. I'm willing to bet the Chinese would just love to throw billions of dollars our way and create jobs galore getting the HSR system setup here. And no, this ain't the 19th century, so "not a Chinaman's chance" type of incidents won't be happening here, and it'll be Americans (or Latinos) doing the manual labor this time around, with the Chinese owning all the IP and charging "fair market prices" for tickets, concessions, and onboard meals/drinks.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Megabus … 2 nasty crashes on my end of 65 … don't think I'll be partaking anytime soon, which is a dang shame.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I love transit and the idea of connecting American cities by rail. The problem is getting car loving Americans to agree to pay for it. I would definitely be willing to drive to Cincinnati and take a hs train to Chicago for a vacation

Old 12-26-2014, 03:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
HS rail sounds good but I don't think it will ever happen due to cost. At one time in the US there
were many rail lines but due to 3 companies: General Motors, Firestone Tires and I believe Standard
Oil were instrumental in dismantling passenger rail systems and inner city/urban street cars.
Less trains = more cars. That left one passenger rail line, Amtrak which had to share
it's rail lines with commercial/freight lines.
As for the previous arguments about stations and stops, here is an example of the JR Kobe line
in Japan and the number of stations/stops.

JR Kobe Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Happened to Railroads? | EconEdLink

Old 03-18-2015, 02:36 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quick update:

Another city ? and U.S. senator ? jumps on the Cincinnati to Chicago train - Cincinnati Business Courier

Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-IN, recently supported the project.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:27 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Quick update:

Another city ? and U.S. senator ? jumps on the Cincinnati to Chicago train - Cincinnati Business Courier

Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-IN, recently supported the project.
Way to go Joe!

Old 03-19-2015, 06:27 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
I think it's been mentioned here before. The problem with the rail line between Indianapolis and Chicago is it takes just over 5 hours, costs $24-$48 one way, and leaves Indy at 6am. Assuming you bring the train back that night, you get about 7 hours in downtown Chicago, spend over 10 hours on a train, and spend almost $50 to $100 round trip. That's not a pleasant day trip. About the only way I would be willing to fork over $48 round trip is if the train took 3 hours or less one way. That's the same amount of time by car and about the same price factoring in parking, gas, and tolls, which you can avoid tolls, and you wouldn't have to deal with traffic. But over 5 hours for the same price is just ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana