Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this High-Speed Rail Proposal?
Yes 32 74.42%
No 8 18.60%
Unsure 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:39 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Who turned this into a pissing contest?
This guy:
Quote:
Cincinnati is just as interesting as Indy.
Oh, wait a second.

Quote:
And who's saying that no one would want to go from Indy to Cincy? Or is it an implication that this
is merely to please only those who want to go to Chicago/Indy and/or Indy to Chicago?
This is the Indiana forum. Naturally, you are going to get an Indiana perspective. I've already covered why I wouldn't take a train to Cincinnati. I am about as pro transit as you get in the Indiana forum. If I am not willing to take a train to Cincinnati, I have a hard time seeing John Hillbilly in Shelbyville taking a train to Cincinnati. It is not a slam on Cincinnati, or to say no one visits Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yea, why stop at small towns that could use an economic boost?
Eh, true. I'm just afraid it would slow down the line, but you do have a good point. Rural citizens need access to transportation too, but how that happens is a lot trickier than for city dwellers.

Back in the day, the interurban line would have ran through all the small town to get to the big city... not the case anymore.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Where would stops be needed on a Cincy-Indy-Chicago rail line? Batesville? Lafayette? Rennsellear? Vevay? I mean.........what's the point? We already have the (I know, not hsr) Amtrak line that stops in every podunk town between here and Chicago.
Crawfordsville and Lafayette?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Crawfordsville and Lafayette?
The Hoosier Line stops in Crawfordsville, Lafayette, Rensselaer , and Dyer. I think two of those can be safely removed from a high speed line.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM

465 posts, read 658,653 times
Why it would makes sense to include Cincinnati is that it doubles the number of passengers/businesses served over a line just to Indianapolis and almost as importantly, Ohio can cover some of the cost since that state will be seeing significant benefit too. It will also make it more beneficial to Chicago/Illinois too, making it more likely to be a multi-state effort.

That said, as for Indianapolis to Cincinnati traffic, there's not as clear a purpose as either Indy to Chicago or Cincy to Chicago. I imagine most passengers from either city would be transiting to Chicago rather than the other major city on the line. The one business sector where Indianapolis and Cincinnati have a clear business connection, logistics, is ironically mostly a truck and highway or freight rail trade and would have little interest in passenger rail.

That's not to say that there won't be increasing reason in new industries that sprout in these cities. Also, both cities are increasing in density and losing parking in their downtown areas where most of the activity is. As parking becomes more expensive, it will make auto traffic between the cities less convenient. As Texas Toast says, it is fairly convenient to travel by car between them right now, but I wouldn't count on that continuing to be the case for very many years going forward.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:33 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Quote:
HSR between Indy and Chicago, yes, I would be in favor. Not only would I be in favor, I would probably use it multiple times a year.

HSR between Indy and Cincinnati; this is where you have to sell the idea that it is good for the region. Maybe it is; but I can not imagine any scenario in which I would want to take a train to Cincinnati.
Quote:
What does this have to do with anything? Let's not turn this into some kind of my city is better than yours pissing match.
Quote:
This guy:
Oh, wait a second.
This is the Indiana forum. Naturally, you are going to get an Indiana perspective. I've already covered why I wouldn't take a train to Cincinnati. I am about as pro transit as you get in the Indiana forum. If I am not willing to take a train to Cincinnati, I have a hard time seeing John Hillbilly in Shelbyville taking a train to Cincinnati. It is not a slam on Cincinnati, or to say no one visits Cincinnati.

I know exactly what forum I'm on as well as the cities and states mentioned. No one is trying to influence
you to go to Cincinnati and if this HSR system even happens, enjoy your trips to Chicago. Glad that
your not slamming Cincy but you are offending and stereotyping the people of Shelbyville.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yea, why stop at small towns that could use an economic boost?
Because the taxes needed to provide the fallacy of an economic boost would end up consuming the boost. Oh wait, I forgot, these things that people want, they want others to pay for them. Went to the greater Cincinnati area two weeks ago. Want to go and check out the leaf change and all that, as well as finally visit Ikea and Jungle Jim's. The drive to Cincinnati isn't all that long, maybe two hours. We then took some state highways to Oxford and checked out campus (hadn't been there in about fifteen years), then checked out Brookville and ended up eating at a really nice place on the reservoir.

I think many people, especially young people, are just too lazy to drive anymore. They are so connected with being able to stare for hours on end at their phones, tablets, maybe even engage in conversation with others, that they can't stand the fact of having to actually drive anywhere. Of course it isn't good enough that many major metro areas are having a nice revitalization of their urban centers for these types, they demand high speed rail so they can walk to a station, get on a vehicle, and be taken to where they want. Of course they want everyone else to fund the bulk of this, as they would demand cheap fares.

Any such system should be dedicated to moving goods first, people second. I would go as far as saying that there should be laws pass prohibiting semi-tractor transport of goods between cities that end up with rail lines, high speed or not. The system will never work if it is people focused, the demand just isn't there, and as we have seen on this thread, everyone wants such a system designed to their wants and desires. They want it through their small, dinky city like it will somehow transform the town into some major draw. Of course every college should have a stop as well, I guess because drunk driving is illegal.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I know exactly what forum I'm on as well as the cities and states mentioned. No one is trying to influence
you to go to Cincinnati and if this HSR system even happens, enjoy your trips to Chicago. Glad that
your not slamming Cincy but you are offending and stereotyping the people of Shelbyville.
Do you have anything of value to add as far as why I won't take a train to Cincinnati, or are you just here to stir the pot?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
^^^ I am the treasury of all knowledge.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 11-01-2014 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-01-2014, 05:02 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
I might come back and vote in the poll. As it is now, I would lean no, because of the two part nature of the poll.

HSR between Indy and Chicago, yes, I would be in favor. Not only would I be in favor, I would probably use it multiple times a year.

HSR between Indy and Cincinnati; this is where you have to sell the idea that it is good for the region. Maybe it is; but I can not imagine any scenario in which I would want to take a train to Cincinnati.
Completely agreed. Cincy is closer and a car is pretty much required to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana