Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 08:25 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I was wondering more about restaurants and bars, nightlife sort of related things.

I would think the hotels would support some of that business. And what about all the development that's taken place along the canal, and around IUPUI? Hasn't that elevated the activity in the area, too?
To me, downtown has always been the entire downtown area: The mile square, basically. Before the pandemic, things were fine. The issue with the mall was due to many factors, so it wasn't really a shock to see it not being a huge thing like it was in the past. Mass. Ave., and maybe even Fountain Square, likely stole some of the visitation from the Wholesale District and nearby areas. I went to Mass. Ave. one night to meet some friends. Things were busy, more busy than I would've thought it would be, even towards the north end, and this was before Bottleworks even opened.

The amount of residential that has opened up downtown is amazing. Numerous apartment and condo offerings. Plus the spread of revitalization to the near east side, Fountain Square, and now near the Garfield Park area. This also includes the growing revitalization on the near north side as well.

Many of the places near the downtown core really needed the M-F lunch crowd. Once those folks didn't really return to work, any business who relied on that crowd likely wasn't going to make it. When a lot of business came out and basically said the future is WFH/WFA, that really was a death blow to a lot of downtown job cores, not just Indy. It will be interesting to see what happens to parts of downtown if things ever get back to pre-pandemic times but remote work, or at least a hybrid of it, continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 07:47 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
3.5 per day is still less than 1% of the population of the city over the course of a year. Add to that the fact that the majority of those people are involved in illegal activities, the odds of just anyone being shot or stabbed is tiny.

Isn't weird how when there is a domestic dispute involving people of color in the city, the story is "oh crime is out of control the city so scary", but the story when there is a domestic dispute in the suburbs is "oh I can't believe this what a tragedy." You'd agree that is weird right?
I never felt extremely unsafe in the city, but these headlines aren't good numbers. They aren't appealing. Yes, it's mostly in certain neighborhoods, and often largely among people involved in illegal activities who already know each other, but it's bad press.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I never felt extremely unsafe in the city, but these headlines aren't good numbers. They aren't appealing. Yes, it's mostly in certain neighborhoods, and often largely among people involved in illegal activities who already know each other, but it's bad press.
It also isn't unique to Indy.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
3.5 per day is still less than 1% of the population of the city over the course of a year. Add to that the fact that the majority of those people are involved in illegal activities, the odds of just anyone being shot or stabbed is tiny.

Isn't weird how when there is a domestic dispute involving people of color in the city, the story is "oh crime is out of control the city so scary", but the story when there is a domestic dispute in the suburbs is "oh I can't believe this what a tragedy." You'd agree that is weird right?
That's because most white people are afraid of people that are not like them.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:41 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
Exactly. All my white neighbors and I run inside when we see a non-white person walking down the street.

I still have flashbacks about ordering fast food and dealing with contractors from when I lived in Denver.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
I do remember when it was common for many - if not most - white people would roll up their windows and lock their doors when they'd drive through a black neighborhood in a large city. I would imagine that many still do.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:09 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
My only "questionable" (if you want to call it that) experience being in downtown Indy where I've felt mildly uncomfortable was when we driving through downtown a few months back and I was debating on stopping for gas before getting on the highway to head back home. We were near 65 and there was a gas station right before you get on the on-ramp. I just about stopped before noticing how... shady it looked... not that the station itself was shady but there were a lot of men congregating outside and they didn't look friendly (for a lack of a better term). Honestly, had it just been myself I probably wouldn't have been deterred but with my wife and kids, for their sake I decided to keep driving (just didn't have a good feeling about the area... IDK). Granted, I don't go downtown often, but I assumed I was on the edge of a "not so good" area.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:21 PM

4,416 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
That's because most white people are afraid of people that are not like them.
Most white people aren’t afraid of Asians, Indians, and Latinos. They’re likely just scared of groups that are statistically responsible for most violent crimes. And your statement is racist.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:41 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Most white people aren’t afraid of Asians, Indians, and Latinos. They’re likely just scared of groups that are statistically responsible for most violent crimes. And your statement is racist.
Statistically speaking guess what group commits the majority of rapes, suicide by firearm, death by drunk driving and aggravated assault? Let's play nice.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:30 PM

255 posts, read 414,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Indians are Asian lmao. Unless you're referring to Indigenous/Native people with the wrong term. But I get your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis