Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 07:21 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Columbus is nicer overall IMHO. Just me though. Feels like poverty and crime are spread out more in Indianapolis.
Indy is a major drug trafficking hub. Columbus is a major human trafficking hub. Which is worse? You tell me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
No, both city populations are increasing, though Columbus is growing faster. The Indy metro area, though, seems to be growing at about the same rate as Columbus' metro area. Both city populations and metro populations Columbus has the edge, but not really by much.
I think OSU really is a defining factor in Columbus, yes Indy has it's universities, but nothing is close to Ohio State. The city of Cbus thrives around the university. Both cities are gentrifying in different areas and have crime issues, granted I tend to hear a lot more about Indy's crime issues versus columbus.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:53 PM

255 posts, read 414,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I think OSU really is a defining factor in Columbus, yes Indy has it's universities, but nothing is close to Ohio State. The city of Cbus thrives around the university. Both cities are gentrifying in different areas and have crime issues, granted I tend to hear a lot more about Indy's crime issues versus columbus.
Columbus has an old money suburb in Upper Arlington. Can't really compare Broad Ripple to that, plus UA has its own school district and Broad Ripple is in IPS.

I could be wrong, but it just seems like crime goes further out in Marion County as opposed to Franklin County in Ohio. I read stories all the time about violent crime on the far east side in Warren Township, northeast side in Lawrence Township, far west/northwest in Wayne and Pike Township as well. Washington Township (for the most part) is quite underrated in Marion County though. Unigov makes Indianapolis much different from Columbus. Unigov and busing shifted the populations earlier than demographic shifts occurred in Columbus.

I will say that some Indianapolis suburbs seem to be a bit nicer overall than Columbus suburbs. Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, Zionsville, and maybe the Center Grove section of Greenwood/Bargersville are just as nice or nicer than Dublin, Upper Arlington, Hilliard, Worthington, Lewis Center, Powell, New Albany. Plenty of Columbus suburbs are just meh to me and not getting better: Gahanna, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, Grove City, Groveport, Canal Winchester, Westerville. Maybe part of this for me is that Indianapolis' original suburbs are the non Center Township townships which mostly got merged in with Unigov, so I don't even think of those townships as suburban even though they mostly are in character.

But I put Columbus central city ahead of Indianapolis central city. To each their own though.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Columbus has an old money suburb in Upper Arlington. Can't really compare Broad Ripple to that, plus UA has its own school district and Broad Ripple is in IPS.

I could be wrong, but it just seems like crime goes further out in Marion County as opposed to Franklin County in Ohio. I read stories all the time about violent crime on the far east side in Warren Township, northeast side in Lawrence Township, far west/northwest in Wayne and Pike Township as well. Washington Township (for the most part) is quite underrated in Marion County though. Unigov makes Indianapolis much different from Columbus. Unigov and busing shifted the populations earlier than demographic shifts occurred in Columbus.

I will say that some Indianapolis suburbs seem to be a bit nicer overall than Columbus suburbs. Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, Zionsville, and maybe the Center Grove section of Greenwood/Bargersville are just as nice or nicer than Dublin, Upper Arlington, Hilliard, Worthington, Lewis Center, Powell, New Albany. Plenty of Columbus suburbs are just meh to me and not getting better: Gahanna, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, Grove City, Groveport, Canal Winchester, Westerville. Maybe part of this for me is that Indianapolis' original suburbs are the non Center Township townships which mostly got merged in with Unigov, so I don't even think of those townships as suburban even though they mostly are in character.

But I put Columbus central city ahead of Indianapolis central city. To each their own though.
UA is definitely a nice area. I grew up in Delaware, OH, just north of powell and I don't know about today but crime wasn't much of a thing from what I remember growing up. I spent a lot of time in the north burbs and downtown (near OSU).

To your point though, both cities do sort of have their own thing going for them.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Metro Indianapolis is as ordinary and extraordinary as any other similar metro area. Based on your original post and subsequent clarification, I don't really know what the point of this exercise is. We have an IKEA and a comedy club. We even have Starbucks. We have "red blooded Americans" whatever the f*** that is supposed to mean.
IKEA? A sign of civilization? or the opposite?

Old 02-27-2021, 06:44 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Are populations of Columbus or Indianapolis decreasing?
Hard to compare them. I don’t see Columbus growing as much in importance even the population rate growth may be higher.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:38 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Columbus has Ohio State, but Indianapolis has IU, Purdue, Ball State and Indiana State all with about an hours drive or less. Not to mention Butler and the University of Indianapolis and IVY Tech inside the city limits.

Columbus passed Indianapolis in population between 2010 and 2019. In 2010, Indianpolis had about 33,000 more people than Columbus. In 2019, Columbus had about 22,000 more people than Indianapolis. In those 9 years, Columbus grew by a little over 14% and Indianapolis grew by almost 7%, so Columbus has been growing about twice as fast as Indianapolis.

Columbus metro was larger than the Indianapolis metro in 2010 and 2019, but not by much, less than 50,000.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Columbus has Ohio State, but Indianapolis has IU, Purdue, Ball State and Indiana State all with about an hours drive or less. Not to mention Butler and the University of Indianapolis and IVY Tech inside the city limits.

Columbus passed Indianapolis in population between 2010 and 2019. In 2010, Indianpolis had about 33,000 more people than Columbus. In 2019, Columbus had about 22,000 more people than Indianapolis. In those 9 years, Columbus grew by a little over 14% and Indianapolis grew by almost 7%, so Columbus has been growing about twice as fast as Indianapolis.

Columbus metro was larger than the Indianapolis metro in 2010 and 2019, but not by much, less than 50,000.
Even though Indy has IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc. in the area, I feel that Ohio State more or less defines Columbus in a lot of ways. Maybe it's because I'm an Ohio State grad but I feel like Cbus has more pride in it's city than Indy. I don't mean that as a dig against Indy. Indy is cool in it's own right (I mean we live here now). But Having spent a lot of time in Columbus during college I always felt like people really took pride living in central Ohio whereas that's not always true here in Indy. Could just be me.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Even though Indy has IU, Purdue, Ball State, etc. in the area, I feel that Ohio State more or less defines Columbus in a lot of ways. Maybe it's because I'm an Ohio State grad but I feel like Cbus has more pride in it's city than Indy. I don't mean that as a dig against Indy. Indy is cool in it's own right (I mean we live here now). But Having spent a lot of time in Columbus during college I always felt like people really took pride living in central Ohio whereas that's not always true here in Indy. Could just be me.
"Here in Indy" - you live in Franklin

I do think where you are matters when you're talking about city pride. Indy pride peaks in the center of Indy and drops as you leave the center out toward the outer townships. Once you leave Marion County is can be a mixed bag, and I don't think Indiana residents have the same pride in Indiana that other states have. But, let's be honest here for a minute......the rest of Indiana kind of sucks.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:07 PM

255 posts, read 414,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
"Here in Indy" - you live in Franklin

I do think where you are matters when you're talking about city pride. Indy pride peaks in the center of Indy and drops as you leave the center out toward the outer townships. Once you leave Marion County is can be a mixed bag, and I don't think Indiana residents have the same pride in Indiana that other states have. But, let's be honest here for a minute......the rest of Indiana kind of sucks.
Seems like more Hoosiers have pride in being a Purdue or Indiana grad (and/or maybe those fortunate who had the grades/money to go to Notre Dame).

A lot of people have pride in their hometown pro or university teams. With Purdue and IU not being in Indianapolis, the Colts not being what they once were, and the Pacers stuck in good but not great territory after not being able to get over the hump when PG was there, maybe the pride of being from Indianapolis isn't that strong in part due to that. Idk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis