Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 06:40 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
I am sure some crimes even happen in Antarctica, but there are more things to look at than just the sole amount of crimes committed. Yes, Fishers has crimes like Fountain Sq., but how much land area is Fishers compared to Fountain Square? How many crimes per 10K people are there? What is the clearance rate for various areas? What is the conviction rate? What is the incarceration rate and average length of time served? What is the police response like?

I don't know if Fountain Square is ghetto, but outside of small, certain spots, it is a complete dump. Is it nice to see Fountain Square changing, yes, but the change is very slow. It would be nice for a wide spread change from down Virginia Ave., encompassing a lot more than just a few streets east and west. It would then be nice to try and combine that with revitalization of the greater Garfield Park area. Until the lower income folks move along, in great numbers, the area will continue to be 10-20% nice, 80-90% dump.
With all due respect, you don't live in Marion County and are a known scaredy cat.

I don't care what outsiders think, but it is important for people to not be chased off with mis-information from people who rarely visit the area and do not know what is going on down here.

When I first moved to Fountain Square, I was scared out of my mind. Thanks in large part to the opinion of folks like you. 2 years later, I am very happy I did not let the fear win. I know Fountain Square is not for everyone; but after having spent all day today in Carmel and Zionsville, I have a new found appreciation for Fountain Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Dude, you give people some extremely accurate descriptions of what's occurring in Indy. You have a firm grasp on what Indy is like.
Are you two brothers? Or next door neighbors? Or the same person?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM

369 posts, read 681,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
With all due respect, you don't live in Marion County and are a known scaredy cat.

I don't care what outsiders think, but it is important for people to not be chased off with mis-information from people who rarely visit the area and do not know what is going on down here.

When I first moved to Fountain Square, I was scared out of my mind. Thanks in large part to the opinion of folks like you. 2 years later, I am very happy I did not let the fear win. I know Fountain Square is not for everyone; but after having spent all day today in Carmel and Zionsville, I have a new found appreciation for Fountain Square.
I grew up three miles from Marion Co. my whole life. Both sets of grandparents lived in Marion Co. as did numerous relatives. I worked in Marion Co. on the east side for two years, then have worked downtown in some capacity since then (many years). I live in Broad Ripple for a year. I am not a "scaredy cat," but I'm not some urban cheerleader who chalks up getting mugged, beat, raped, etc. a something a person should just think of as normal because "I live in a city."

Yes outsiders, don't believe anything you read here. Don't believe me or Toxic Toast. Visit Fountain Sq. for yourself. Drive at least a half in each direction from Virgina Ave., Shelby St., and Prospect St. and make sure to drive down at least 70% of the side streets and alleyways. Then ask yourself "Is this nice or is this a dump?"

Then check out Indy Crime Viewer:

Law Enforcement Map Viewer

Type in addresses in and around Fountain Square. Check all crimes (property and violent crimes against a person). Put your radius out far. Then again, ask yourself "Is this a nice area, or is this a dump?" Then, to make things fair, write down all the robberies, all the rapes, all the thefts, etc.. It may take time, I understand. Then call up the Fishers Police and Carmel Police. Ask them how many of the crimes they have in the categories that you are interested in. Ask them the sq. mileage of their patrol area.

Then take all that information, and make your own determination on if Fountain Square is nice or ghetto or whatever.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 12,354 times
When I lived in Indianapolis a few years ago the most dangerous neighborhood seemed to be about 38th and Mithoffer, or there abouts.

At 21st and Arlington, my husband who delivered in a box truck, stopped to ask for directions and some guys told him he better get his 'little white ass down the road,' and Buck didn't do anything but accidentally get lost in their neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 AM

810 posts, read 836,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voter5036 View Post
When I lived in Indianapolis a few years ago the most dangerous neighborhood seemed to be about 38th and Mithoffer, or there abouts.

At 21st and Arlington, my husband who delivered in a box truck, stopped to ask for directions and some guys told him he better get his 'little white ass down the road,' and Buck didn't do anything but accidentally get lost in their neighborhood.
Your husband was in danger of being raped for real. In the community many male members go to jail and it is habitual to have intercourse with men there, that is the only time where they actually seek a wife.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:05 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Your husband was in danger of being raped for real. In the community many male members go to jail and it is habitual to have intercourse with men there, that is the only time where they actually seek a wife.

You have got to be kidding me. I swear, some of the people who post in the Indy fourm have never left the confines of their gated community.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM

355 posts, read 911,570 times
Ima call bluff on that one.........the area around 21st and arlington is probably still half white,

Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 PM

990 posts, read 1,725,856 times
alot of times a place is much more dangerous than it really is because some people walk around with their heads up their _ss.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 14,711 times
I think the only people that need to be replying to this are people who have actually lived in the so-called dangerous areas or have at least lived by them. I agree that you may be more at risk in some areas like Haughville or Brightwood, but it can be dangerous living anywhere. You just have to protect your home, mind your business, and keep it moving when you're out.

Last edited by livelyupdesigns; 11-21-2010 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Different response

Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,996 times
The most dangerous neighborhood year in and year out according to IMPD would be the near eastside, anywhere in the vicinity of 10th and rural, an area known as the "swamp". The only thing keeping the murders down over there is that it is over patroled by IMPD, police everywhere for a good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis