Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 09:10 AM

355 posts, read 912,106 times

Advertisements

Unfortunatley my friend you are correct, less than a month after posting my original post about the east side area that i still to this day love i lost a friend of 8 years (me being 23 y/o) to the senseless crime of murder and unfortunatley this is not the first or second time. I know at least five people who left too soon be it murder (3) od (2) or taking their own life (2). The most recent was the closest to them of all to me, he was similar to me in many regards, graduated from warren central in 2003, me in 2005. Took all of the excel classes and was a very bright individual. He was slain over money and nothing more. It was a careless act of panic over a situation a person lost control over. My friend put himeself into this all to familiar postition because like so many now he had lost any hope or care for something better. It's as if people have no guidance nor structure or plan to build a better way and build a better life that can produce meaning and substance. Its not as if the potential for a better life was not there, it was just not shown to him. He had no father figure to guide him to better things, his mother like so many other single mothers did her best simply to get by. Therefore no college was in his ability, no classes full of teachers to nuture him futhur. He was stuck trying to get by with little, so he turned to what we all know best. I wont say but to many around me doing things along these lines is second nature its how things get done, its how he lived. The only reason i was pulled from the brink (and it was the brink) was because i had a strong family with a father who made sure that i knew what is meant to be a man. But instead of choosing to go away from this and leave (to which anymore i do not blame those who can, my opinion on this has changed) but please understand its not simply people out here happy and content to struggle, it is individuals who simply have nothing else to offer. Ill be staying around because its an area i love and i will start to do what i can to make this side of town better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 47,395 times
Default Well I guess if you dont know better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by locean View Post
I guess the people who are attacked on the Monon Trail might be interested in learning that.

YEah, I guess I should have told that to all the victims of vandalism that I took destruction of property reports on over the last several years..."Well, sir or ma'am if you would have just minded your own business this would not have happened". Right. The only thing they did was live in that particular neighborhood. Crime DOES happen randomly, don't be naive. Perfect example, a drug addicted person is walking down the street in your neighborhood and sees several vehicles parked near the road or YES even in your driveway! Perfect opportunity for him/them/her to bust in your car and steal your things...if you didn't have anything oh well now you have to get your busted window fixed.

Granted homicides don't just happen randomly, ok, but let's talk about the everyday misdemeanor crimes that do happen everyday that cost victims and insurance companies thousands of dollars. The annoying crap you want to avoid by doing your research before you move into a neighborhood.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 16,461 times
ive been in florida for the last 10 years but i grew up in indianapolis im 40 now but as a younger guy from 13 to 22 i know all the bad places 42 post britewood east 25 st i work on 38st for a few year it was ruff back then iwas up there last month the south side is run down to it is sad i remember when it was nice

Old 09-27-2009, 11:24 AM

95 posts, read 228,176 times
What about the are north of the castleton mall just right before you enter Fishers?

Those apartment complexes around 96th and allisonville (Autumn Woods, Woodbridge, Riverwood, etc).

How are those?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 PM

891 posts, read 2,451,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post
What about the are north of the castleton mall just right before you enter Fishers?

Those apartment complexes around 96th and allisonville (Autumn Woods, Woodbridge, Riverwood, etc).

How are those?

Decent at best

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 11,301 times
I think that there is crime all over Indiana, all over the world!!! But, the east side of Indy is NOT the best, I have lived there my enitire life (31 years!!) and have seen it go from place that people wanted to live to a place where people have to live b/c they just do not have the money or the credit to live in a nicer area of Indy. In the area between Post Rd. and Mitthoffer Rd and 38th and 42nd steets there are a total of about 10 low income apartment complexes (not the best thing to do in such a small area)the worst of them being "Hearts Landing" previously "Sutton Place" or as we on the East side call it Sutton Death. I live in Lawrence Glen at this time, have been there about 2 years now. I have been broken into appx. 8 times...I have lost count as to how many Wii's, X Box 360's and so on that I have had to relace for my kids. The apartment complex does nothing to help....my complex has refused to even look into security for our saftey.
Renaissance Property Management does not care for the saftey of their tenents!!!! Just in October there was an incident where all of the children had to be taken to the bus by police b/c someone was shooting a gun. I have brought my dog to my apartment for protection and she is a Pitt Bull but I am not allowed to keep her in my apartment to protect my family b/c that breed of dog is not permitted although I find it very odd that about 30% of people that live there have the very same kind of dog?!!!!! But, I am the only one being targeted to get rid of my dog who has 9 puppies that are just 1 1/2 weeks old!!!! Anyhow if you want to know where not to live, Lawrence Glen is most definetly not a place that I would even recomend to my worst enemy!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 AM

369 posts, read 681,923 times
As the poster above said, the east side is horrible. My biggest fear is that these families are moving into Hancock Co. as well. The vinyl village neighborhoods on the far east side have become trash. There are still homes that have not been repaired from storms two and three years ago...yes, we still have homes using _tarps!_ for roofing and siding.

This entire area is going to be like one big cesspool. Recently a Cumberland town counselor issued a warning to residents: Burglaries are spiking in this area, especially along E. 21st St (Indy) and W. 100 N. (Hancock Co.). The newspaper spoke of a system Cumberland PD is using to notify residents and workers of crime in the area. Here is the link:

Cumberland, Indiana : Nixle

Note that if you enter that doesn't fall under Cumberland jurisdiction, you won't get the notifications. You have to enter an address that falls in the Town of Cumberland PD jurisdiction. I used the address for Meijer. To give you an idea of how bad it is:

#1: Get a news article reporting many burglaries in both the Indy and Hancock Co. parts of Cumberland. Counselor urges residents to get home alarm systems.

#2: I sign up for Nixle notifications from Cumberland (Hancock Co. and IMPD don't participate, though their agency names do show up). WXIN reports two different stories on burglaries throughout this area:

Hancock Co. Residents On Alert After Break-ins - WXIN

Eastside burglaries have residents worried - WXIN

#3: Cumberland sends out these messages about four females being stopped, likely breaking into vehicles. Then we get two burglaries and a carjacking..those animals arrested. Think things would stop after an arrest? Think again. Another report in mid-Nov. of a burglary to a residence. Then a search in the 11000 Blk. of Fall Drive, a newer neighborhood off 21st just east of German Church. Police find stolen goods and make an arrest. Think things would end? Nope. Additional burglary reports come in. So far, it has been five days since a theft from this area, at least there haven't been any Nixle alerts...so who knows.

#4: Wife comes how saying two sheriff's deputies parked in neighbors driveway. Sounds like an ET kit box on trunk of car. Drive-by the next day, brand new bright orange home alarm signs and stickers. My guess is that they were a victim of a burglary.

#5: While training an in-law how to shoot, meet a lady who is also a new shooter. She had gotten a gun from home protection. Said she came home to find out someone had broken in. Her sense of safety died right then. She got a gun to be able to hole up in her bedroom if someone broke in and have the ability to protect herself while she called 911.

Burglaries are up all over the place, and it will get worse when folks put their Christmas Trees in their bay windows surrounded by presents. Keep presents hidden from view. Keep gift cards secured at work in a locked desk or work locker. Make sure you have a home alarm system. If you have time off during the week, start a neighborhood patrol. Walk down to your mailbox and take time to look around. If you see someone loading up goods from a neighbor's home, call the police. These folks know that in Indy, crime pays. We opted to build a billion dollar football field and stadium vs. a super jail to house these people. The state is broke and even though state prisons have room, they don't have the guards and money to house that many prisoners. The perfect storm has arrived.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 10,840 times
Hello, I am an investor based in California an got on to your web page to see why so many abandon and foreclosed homes were listed in Indianapolis. I still have to complete some more research as per different neighborhoods to invest, but this web page has been a great help. I am trying to make a dent in the foreclosure melt down to get this economy right side up. I am a retired Oakland CA. fireman and I do know a little about section 8 and decaying neighborhoods. I think the biggest issue is jobs-jobs-jobs.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM

50 posts, read 133,640 times
Born and raised in Indianapolis we lived north and my sisters and I use to go to the meadows to go shopping all the time I remember I won an art contest in the meadows and I got to do painting on one of the windows of the dime store there years ago but I never go there anymore dont feel safe at all

Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 AM

109 posts, read 407,953 times
I've both read and heard stories about the Meadows. Sounds like a pretty scary place!

But yeah .. when I moved here in '08 did a little bit of internet leg work, asked a whole bunch of questions & BU191433 actually suggested the place that I'm living at now. Which after a year and a half is still the same as when I moved in.

But secondly, trust your gut feeling. Drive through in both the day and night. Observe what is going on and if it doesn't give you that safe or even semi-safe feelings .. well, it probably isn't for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis