Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times

Advertisements

i used to be able to reply to a comment, havent been able to for a few days now

google just decided to "force" people onto google+

and why on earth would i need to receive email notifications on comments that arent even mine

google really fukt up bigtyme

...just waste till they start charging a subscription for using youtube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
I haven't been able to use YouTube all week since the change. Every page locks up and becomes perma-frozen as soon as I go to it. YouTube is not responding is the message I get.

««cell post via android »»

Old 11-18-2013, 02:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
It's weird, with the new YT comments section the "top comments" aren't the ones with the most likes anymore. Very strange!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
It's weird, with the new YT comments section the "top comments" aren't the ones with the most likes anymore. Very strange!
If I post a comment, my comment automatically shows up as a top comment. But if I'm not logged in, I can't even see my comment anywhere, and I don't think anyone else can see my comment either.

This is such a mess. They will never be able to fix it, though I'm sure they will try, and they will never revert back. YouTube is now officially in the graveyard with MySpace. It's finished.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Maybe the NSA doesn't want us to foment revolution in the comments section of YT videos.

Edit: Now YT is down completely and this is the message I'm getting.
Quote:
500 Internal Server Error
Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.

Last edited by Grizzmeister; 11-18-2013 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: To add comment

Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Youtube is heading down the fastlane to oblivion. Many of the youtube producers I watch have completely disabled the comments section of all their videos in protest to the new setup. Many of the same have also stated that plans to move away from youtube are now in place, as one of the ways they get hits on the videos is by how talked about it is in the comments section. With youtube implementing this "feature" and making them disable the comments section, they will be getting less revenue from each video. They want to move to another video platform that will not impose this problem upon them. Youtube better change its ways or they too will be losing a lot of money as they take 45% of revenue from each video, and without the producers there, the revenue from said videos will disappear.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 AM

In a misguided attempt to make Youtube more of a social media site Google has ruined one of its best features. The comments section of YT used to add yet another dimension to the info presented by the videos and now that is lost.

Over the last two years or so, it seems like every time Youtube gets "updated" it ends up being a change for the worse with this most recent change to the comments section probably being the most egregious screw-up yet.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Yah, they totally ruined that. I've seen some of the funniest comments anywhere on the 'net as top comments on YT videos. We will no longer get to take those fun paths that follow an argument by two people...you know, someone posts, "To follow the fun, start here..." and you are entertained for a good 20 minutes. They say, "Now the comments that matter to you will be accessible" or whatever it is they said. Which is a bald faced lie. How the hell do they know which comments matter to me? It certainly isn't two old biddies talking back and forth on their G+ account. Yah, that's how you get "top comment" now, just have a ton of replies. Dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Youtube is heading down the fastlane to oblivion. Many of the youtube producers I watch have completely disabled the comments section of all their videos in protest to the new setup. Many of the same have also stated that plans to move away from youtube are now in place, as one of the ways they get hits on the videos is by how talked about it is in the comments section. With youtube implementing this "feature" and making them disable the comments section, they will be getting less revenue from each video. They want to move to another video platform that will not impose this problem upon them. Youtube better change its ways or they too will be losing a lot of money as they take 45% of revenue from each video, and without the producers there, the revenue from said videos will disappear.
It will only take a handful of the big earners to jump ship to get Google's attention. I've heard more complaining in the last week....we'll see what happens.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
By the way, if anyone uses Firefox and is trying to comment on YT, there's two ways to do it. One is better than the other.

But first, if you use NoScript, you have to go to Options > Embeddings > ClearClickProtection on Pages, (at the bottom of Embeddings tab), and UNclick "trusted". Restart FF.

Then:

In FF itself:

Tools > Options > Privacy > Accept Cookies From Sites (halfway down box) if you have it set to "Never" you have to either:

A) Go to exceptions and add google.com

OR

B) Leave it as "Never", add NO exceptions, and when you want to comment on a video: Right click in the box for the comments. In the menu that pops up, hover on "This Frame", and then click on "Open Frame In New Tab" from the following menu. You will get another YT page that pops up, but your ID will show. Make the comment and click submit. Close that page, go back to the video you were on in the other tab, refresh, and your comment shows. It's a bit of an extra step, but that way you don't have to allow google to throw a bunch of cookies at you.

If your cookies were set to "Always", then you do not have to take that step....although, you should probably ask yourself WHY your cookies are set to "Always".

Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM

191 posts, read 262,621 times
Google can do whatever they want. They have a monopoly and are exploiting it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet