Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:18 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post
Google can do whatever they want. They have a monopoly and are exploiting it.
Maybe Microsoft can redeem itself by creating a worthy competitor to YouTube?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,957 times
They are trying to fight trolling, spamming, internet attention w hores etc. Considering that is a good amount, if the not the majority of comments.

Many producers disabled comment mainly for the fact that it was (maybe still is) impossible to have a good discussion in the comment section.

I haven't really had any issue with it.

Espn did something similar in requiring Facebook to comment. It cut comments by a large amount but cleaned the comment section up at least a little bit . While confirming that many americans like to hide behind their perceived internet anonymity.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 12-06-2013 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Espn did something similar in requiring Facebook to comment. It cut comments by a large amount but cleaned the comment section up at least a little bit . While confirming that many americans like to hide behind their perceived internet anonymity.
Youtube is just too lazy or cheap to moderate the comments section properly. People have anonymity here, unless you believe every CD member looks like a dog , yet the discussions mostly stay civil.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times
I do not understand what Google is trying to do with the comments section on YouTube, at all. Replies seem to be strewn all over the place, and it's been this way even before the Google+ integration. The commenting system never puts the replies where they are supposed to go. Or, it will put replies under the original post and/or duplicate them if you choose the "recent comments" option. Half the time I can't tell who or what someone is responding to. You can see who's replying and read their response, and it tells you the name the person they are replying to, but it doesn't show the original post. If the original post was two years old, good luck searching for it in the comments section. I often see someone replying and then check out all the comments to find who/what comment they are responding to (that is, to find out why the responder chose to respond the way he/she did), yet the original comment is nowhere to be found, nor does it say it was deleted. It's just a jumbled mess.

Google went back to the old style when too many people complained about the Google+ integration, but they kept elements of the Google+ comment system, so now it's now a mix of both. With Google+, you have a bunch of different conversations that seem "off-site," or “happening elsewhere.” Why would a bunch of random conversations taking place outside of the subject at hand (the video) be riveting conversation to an end user? Essentially, what's happened now is you have a litany of "hey, check out this video" posts from a ton of different Google+ users. How does this add value to anyone outside of those particular Google+ micro-cliques, or "Circles" as Google calls them, for that particular Google+ conversation? They read as afterthoughts instead of conversation pieces, but I suppose that's the direction Google wants--more of a Twitter/Facebook type of thing.

The focus of the discussion should be on the video, not insider conversations that are only relevant in someone's Circle. For example, I saw something similar to this: "This song reminds me of [insert real name]." Real name guy shows up in a reply and they talk about something relevant only to them. That works very well as a social media function, but it adds nothing to the public conversation, which is the purpose of a comments section. As an end user, it wastes my time sifting through “hey, check out this great video” comments from different Google+ conversations coming out of left field. I don't know, this type of setup probably works well for Twitter/Facebook or something, but it's off-putting on YouTube.

I'm really hoping this is some sort of beta test/time period for a much more integrated, comprehensive, and cohesive comments section that Google is working on behind the scenes. One that is easy to follow and read. Wouldn't it make more sense to organize the comments by "recent strings" instead? Put all replies in a string format and then organize them by most-recent string? A lot of lesser sites do their comments sections fairly well. YouTube is huge and Google has more resources to put out a better product than this.

I’m baffled.

/soapbox

Old 02-28-2014, 08:29 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
I USED to hang out at Youtube quite a bit.

But with the changes in buffering and basically making all older comments into archive-only.......I choose to spend my time elsewhere.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Just deleted my YT account today. I have no interest in a G+ account, and don't use any other google services anyway. I've just bookmarked the URLs of the videos I had in my favorites. ********* google.
Perhaps you called it; who they want and who they want to get rid of.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:30 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Google has screwed up YouTube since 2010 at least. I only use it because as another person said it's a monopoly and there are a few youtubers I watch religiously but it only gets worse and worse. Sadly it is not alone, it's merely just a sign that the internet as a whole is not what it used to be.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Perhaps you called it; who they want and who they want to get rid of.

YUUUPPP, just like over at Huffingtonpost......they recently did a "purge" to become more progressive like Demoraticunderground.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 AM

YouTube especially but the Internet as a whole is less effective now. Sock Puppets (government controlled shills) derail nearly every deep and meaningful conversation on the Internet nowadays unless you go to a site with very little traffic and then what's the point. It's sad that the powers that be are so terrified of what we may talk about if they let us off the leash for just a moment.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
YouTube especially but the Internet as a whole is less effective now. Sock Puppets (government controlled shills) derail nearly every deep and meaningful conversation on the Internet nowadays unless you go to a site with very little traffic and then what's the point. It's sad that the powers that be are so terrified of what we may talk about if they let us off the leash for just a moment.

YES, you nailed it.

I got banned over at ABCommunist.com for making a post that went again the acceptable propaganda. No curses, threats, trolling was made by me.......just my honest opinion on the matter at hand, BANNED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet