Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:55 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times

Advertisements

I guess I must be the world's biggest idiot as I am still finding stocks to buy amongst all the market angst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Legacy tech firms have to make the transition from growth to value. IBM owns the patents on thousands of devices and processes that will be essential for years to come. They have a guaranteed revenue stream no matter who is building the hardware. It's not necessarily a bad bet.
Also Warren is getting dividend yield, so he is not down $20. He maybe down less.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
My big loser has been VTIAX, it has lagged everything else I'm invested in over just about every timeframe.
No kidding. I was 35% in international fund and barely made 1% when I sold it. It has not recovered since. I think it's still down at least 10-15% from when I last sold it.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Lacking clairvoyance, yes, of course we all guess. I'm guessing that I won't be killed in this evening's commute back home, or that I won't die in my sleep... so I'm guessing that tomorrow I'll need to buy food somewhere, and maybe even take a shower and brush my teeth.

All of life is ultimately a gamble. That statement is just an admission of our finitude and paucity of knowledge. In that sense, yes, I gamble.

But stock market investment is only a "gamble", in the sense of a big bet, in that modern industrial capitalism won't collapse, or aliens don't enslave planet earth, or we don't witness a Second Coming during our lifetime. People who think that the stock market is a "gamble", like horse-racing or slot-machines, assuredly will embrace frequent trading and hedging. That explains a lot!
Come'on, you are such melodramatic with words. I think you should major in theatre and not engineering. You missed your calling.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:22 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
How low will stocks go? No lower than 15,000 on the DOW

Old 05-22-2016, 12:18 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you are an investor cash today is like holding stock options for stocks at lower prices at some point .

but most who hold cash are not nervy enough to invest when markets appear to be plunging with no bottom so they rarely get to exercise that option .
The best advice for investors is, "Don't get greedy." You will never hit the top or bottom of the market. When I moved to cash in 2006, I sat and watched the market go up another 8% before it blew up. It happens. I set a buy point for when the market had lost 50%, which was based on historic comparisons. As it turned out, by the time my buy order went through I managed to hit the rock bottom, but that was just dumb luck. I would have been happy with anything in that week. You have to be willing to accept "good enough," or you will end up doing some stupid things.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Stockman is also expecting a recession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2CA3LB-tFs
Predicting a recession is like predicting it's going to rain. There is always another recession. Our economy is cyclical. The person who predicts a recession will always be right, but they mostly get the time frame wrong. Another thing about recessions is that they are always different. The next one will be nothing like the last one.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:55 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Come'on, you are such melodramatic with words. I think you should major in theatre and not engineering. You missed your calling.
I love it. Among the many posters I enjoy encountering posts from ohio_peasant is near the top, truly a wordsmith without peer.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:57 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
Predicting a recession is like predicting it's going to rain. There is always another recession.
Yep, that is what cracks me up about the "when the bill comes due" type posts, yeah we'll have another recession and they'll claim broken clock victory, but could have done the same saying we'll have a recovery.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:54 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Predicting a recession is like predicting it's going to rain. There is always another recession. Our economy is cyclical. The person who predicts a recession will always be right, but they mostly get the time frame wrong. Another thing about recessions is that they are always different. The next one will be nothing like the last one.
Yeah. I remember Stockman from his Reagan Administration days, and I don't remember him accomplishing a whole lot. Predicting a recession without telling John Q Public what to do about it, is pretty pointless. Details!! I must admit I am stunned that we haven't had a recession yet. Normally it's around every 7 years. We're due. But it could be another 5 years, another 10, before the S hits the fan. And it could be a repeat of 2008. Or maybe not. Larry, you were correct in your other posting.... Don't get greedy!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing