Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2024, 05:32 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,665,554 times

Advertisements

I have been very excessive with the IRA account and the newly purchased stocks and funds are up 5.32% since purchased
on 1/19/24 and the last one today. I need to go back to the old routine and adopt a more conservative approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2024, 01:35 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
well there are loads of lazy portfolios out there if one does not want 100% equities anymore …

we still see 30k swings in a day even with 50% equities so i am trying to get that lower while capturing the gains of a 60/40

Old 02-16-2024, 08:20 AM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Mathjak, do you have your Carolina Reaper components inside a separate account @ fidelity such that you can easily view the portfolio performance? Or is it just inside your main account and you have to manually tally up the three components to see the cumulative performance of just the Carolina Reaper components?

Old 02-16-2024, 09:51 AM

Fidelity lets me create watch lists so each portfolio is monitored separately

It updates in real time

I can track anything I put in a list

It makes it very easy to run multiple models even sharing the same funds

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-16-2024 at 10:17 AM..

Old 02-20-2024, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Mathjak, do you have your Carolina Reaper components inside a separate account @ fidelity such that you can easily view the portfolio performance? Or is it just inside your main account and you have to manually tally up the three components to see the cumulative performance of just the Carolina Reaper components?
i actually have a few individual watch lists or portfolio lists as i use them .

i track separately my fidelity insight income model , the fidelity insight growth and income model , the 100% equities model consisting of berkshire and vti , and the carolina reaper .

also one more i set up is to track a poster who is speculating in zroz , a highly speculative long term bond fund far more volatile than tlt . vs using that with equities as a set and forget more diversified investment which he wasn’t in favor of .

needless to say zroc is getting hit hard and the more diversified option is barely down .

so the fidelity the watch lists are very nice and update immediately in real time .

what’s nice too is that some of the fidelity insight models share a fund or two in the two different models .

i can track the models easily separately so if there is a change in one i know exactly how much to swap out .

fidelity also offers full view which not only links fidelity accounts , but all accounts and credit cards .

i can get a real time snap shot in total value of everything..

still pretty impressed with the relatively calmness of the reaper despite the individual crazy moves daily .

i am very close overall to hitting a goal number in total liquid assets so i may shuttle off future gains from the 100% equity model in to the reaper with a goal of bringing that up to a six figure level .

i know its a far cry from the 20k i originally started with but so far i am quite impressed .

by the way mogul , i do have to thank you , at least so far , for peaking my interest in these leveraged risk parity portfolios enough to actually undertake one.

i have to be careful not to be to impressed with it short term since it wouldn’t be prudent of me if i brought it up to a core position level yet

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-20-2024 at 03:14 AM..

Old 02-20-2024, 03:30 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

still pretty impressed with the relatively calmness of the reaper despite the individual crazy moves daily .

i am very close overall to hitting a goal number in total liquid assets so i may shuttle off future gains from the 100% equity model in to the reaper with a goal of bringing that up to a six figure level .

i know its a far cry from the 20k i originally started with but so far i am quite impressed .

by the way mogul , i do have to thank you , at least so far , for peaking my interest in these leveraged risk parity portfolios enough to actually undertake one.

i have to be careful not to be to impressed with it short term since it wouldn’t be prudent of me if i brought it up to a core position level yet
No, as far as we know like 3 months doesn't mimic your 30-year period you talk about.

I know you said you went from $20k to $50k. Did you go higher than that?

Let me get this straight. You have to reallocate daily on the Reaper?

Old 02-20-2024, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
No, as far as we know like 3 months doesn't mimic your 30-year period you talk about.

I know you said you went from $20k to $50k. Did you go higher than that?

Let me get this straight. You have to reallocate daily on the Reaper?

up to 70k now plus the gains on it .

nope no 30 year history yet which is why i am leary .

but we do have a history thru rising rates , a down year for stocks and bonds which is
i just went as far back with these funds as i could in portfolio visualizer. first time running it myself .

i was able to go back to jan 2020 , so almost 4 years

a 60/40 consisting of 60% voo (s&p fund )and 40% bnd ( total bond fund ) took 100k and turned it in to 126,130 , a cagr of 6.11%

the 60/40 carolina reaper took a 100k grew it to 136,260 ,a cagr of 8.22%

WORST DOWN YEAR WAS MINUS 2.57% for the reaper with a worst draw down of 9.45%

the conventional 60/40 had a worst year of minus 16.16 % and a worst draw down of 20.15%

you would reallocate the reaper if it veered to far off the original allocations.

i will guess and say 10% between the highest and lowest as a good point

Old 02-20-2024, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
up to 70k now plus the gains on it .

nope no 30 year history yet which is why i am leary .

but we do have a history thru rising rates , a down year for stocks and bonds which is
i just went as far back with these funds as i could in portfolio visualizer. first time running it myself .

i was able to go back to jan 2020 , so almost 4 years

a 60/40 consisting of 60% voo (s&p fund )and 40% bnd ( total bond fund ) took 100k and turned it in to 126,130 , a cagr of 6.11%

the 60/40 carolina reaper took a 100k grew it to 136,260 ,a cagr of 8.22%

WORST DOWN YEAR WAS MINUS 2.57% for the reaper with a worst draw down of 9.45%

the conventional 60/40 had a worst year of minus 16.16 % and a worst draw down of 20.15%

you would reallocate the reaper if it veered to far off the original allocations.

i will guess and say 10% between the highest and lowest as a good point

That did include that drop off in 2022. So, this might be something reliable. But, it does rely on those ETF funds. I was using UGAZ and DGAZ (which were 3x funds) and they pulled the plug on them. So, ETF's are not reliably going to stay in existence. On your Reaper only one etf would have to be taken offline for you to be left out on a limb. But, then I guess you go back to voo and bnd.

Old 02-20-2024, 04:43 AM

Let me ask you this MJ... What would happen to your Reaper if you had that when you were hospitalized with Covid? I mean if you get sick and hospitalized for a month or two? Could it possibly just sit there unmanaged? It sounds like it needs to be babysat. You might as well get a super senior cat like I have where I can only feel good about leaving the house for 5-6 hours tops.

I'm only asking because I am interested (after we get our correction/crash).

Old 02-20-2024, 05:42 AM

3,502 posts, read 2,665,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I've been following Mathjak, this is my setup in the watch list.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing