Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times

Advertisements

It's not as simple as just looking at summer high temperatures for cities in both states & thus determining that Iowa or Wisconsin is more comfortable than the other in terms of heat or humidity. There is no one set of data for Wisconsin or for Iowa that uniformly or well represents the range found within each state.
Examination of weather data for Iowa & Wisconsin shows that there are wide variations on the data within the boundaries of both states as a result of where they sit on the continent. Yet there are also striking similarities depending on the region you are looking at in each state.
Wisconsin is largely situated in a north to south or up and down direction & noticeably further north than most of Iowa. Iowa is spread out in more of an east to west or across direction. As a result, both states can be impacted differently by the seasonal air masses & nearby large bodies of water yet can also have strikingly similar climate records & average data.
Much of northeast & eastern Iowa is almost on par with the summer heat & humidity readings for most of southern & central Wisconsin. The exception to that is the immediate lakeside area adjacent to Lake Michigan, such as the Milwaukee airport, which is definitely affected by the "lake effect" which moderates it's average temperature range.
The bottom line is that summer temperature & humidity readings in Waterloo & Dubuque for example are almost exactly the same as they are for LaCrosse & Madison.
The summer heat average rises gradually as head you west into central & western Iowa as you get closer to what is considered the Great Plains. Additionally, precipitation varies sharply across Iowa from it's eastern border to it's western border as you draw nearer to those plains. For example, Sioux City typically receives only 2/3 of the annual average rainfall as does Dubuque & it's average rainfall total is actually slightly closer to that of Denver than that of Dubuque.
Examination of data determines that the warmest regions of Iowa in the summer are it's far western & southwestern regions as the plains are approached.
Conversely, the data shows that Des Moines averages 26 fewer days per year than does Madison of where the temperatuere falls below 32 degrees.
Of course it's not all solidly hot & humid in those states in the summer as both Iowa & Wisconsin can be blessed by the passage of a cool front in the summer which lowers the temperatures & humidity levels to comfortable levels. But if a heat wave is on & there is no cooler air mass present, then it can be miserable.
Anecdotally speaking from 27 years of visiting my family in southeastern Wisconsin, I know that it's anyone's guess & a roll of the dice as to whether it will be pleasant or stiflingly hot & humid when I'm there. The griping of the television media about the heat & humidity seem no different than they did when I lived in both north central & then central Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:10 PM

189 posts, read 418,266 times
Yeah, it's not great. Now we moved here from Houston, so we laughed out loud when people here complained about the humidity. After a few Iowa winters and losing our heat tolerance, we do find the humidity to be very noticeable. Still not gulf coast, but it can be a bear.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:07 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Check out the Heat Index from the People's Almanac, it can be quite the eye-opener!

90 degrees/70% humidity=Feel index of 106
90 degrees/80% humidity=Feel index of 113

And God forbid, it should ever happen: 90 degrees/90% humidity=Feel index of 122!

And where could you experience this? 90 degrees/10% humidity=Feel index of 85!

The times I momentarily dream of returning to the Midwest, I know it's become irreversible now, no turning back!

I'm sure there's no uniformity to Iowa, and there's going to be those pockets where the humidity is less than other areas.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Check out the Heat Index from the People's Almanac, it can be quite the eye-opener!

90 degrees/70% humidity=Feel index of 106
90 degrees/80% humidity=Feel index of 113

And God forbid, it should ever happen: 90 degrees/90% humidity=Feel index of 122!

And where could you experience this? 90 degrees/10% humidity=Feel index of 85!

The times I momentarily dream of returning to the Midwest, I know it's become irreversible now, no turning back!

I'm sure there's no uniformity to Iowa, and there's going to be those pockets where the humidity is less than other areas.
Decorah would probably have the mildest temperatures of any area in the state, but humidity values there aren't low. However, it's all relative to what you have experienced and are used to. I've lived in the Kansas City region and Louisville region and both featured brutal levels of humidity with Heat Index values going well above 110F. Air temperatures in those areas would occasionally get in the 105-110F range during a heat wave.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
In the warmer months, what you want to look at is dew point. The higher the dew point the more saturated the air. We get some tropical dew points in the summer, up in the low-mid 70s. THAT is when it feels muggy out, even if the humidity % isn't topped out near 100%. I have compared summer weather (dew points and humidity) to various places like Ft Lauderdale or Puerto Vallarta Mexico and we have had had the same conditions here on many days.

In cold weather the humidity translates to dampness which can translate to bone-chilling cold. The cold feels much different here than in drier climates due to that humidity.
This is so incredibly true. Compared to the dry climates, the humidity filled ones feel worse at either extreme. Below 40, it will give the cold a real bite. Since Iowa mornings in the winter are often only 15 degrees or so, it will chill to the bone. In the summer, being 90 and humid feels horrible. For comparison, 90 in Phoenix feels lovely, and 40 in Colorado is sweater weather with the coat being optional. Some people will be out in shorts and a T shirt.

However, I've met some people that love the humidity. When I first moved to Iowa I found the humidity during the Spring and Fall to be quiet pleasant, even though it was awful in the summer/winter.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
This is so incredibly true. Compared to the dry climates, the humidity filled ones feel worse at either extreme. Below 40, it will give the cold a real bite. Since Iowa mornings in the winter are often only 15 degrees or so, it will chill to the bone. In the summer, being 90 and humid feels horrible. For comparison, 90 in Phoenix feels lovely, and 40 in Colorado is sweater weather with the coat being optional. Some people will be out in shorts and a T shirt.

However, I've met some people that love the humidity. When I first moved to Iowa I found the humidity during the Spring and Fall to be quiet pleasant, even though it was awful in the summer/winter.
I am one who loves humidity! (and I am moving to the desert LOL)

It is great for your skin, and I love feeling warm after stepping outside from the AC or getting out of a pool. In dry places, you can be cold at 100 degrees in the pool, especially with a breeze. I've experienced just that in Las Vegas!

I always think about the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, supposedly set in Chicago. Clark is on a ladder hanging lights in just a flannel shirt and vest. There is quite a bit of snow on the ground. Every time I see that I think "yeah right." With the humidity chill, it would be hard to be outside for very long in Chicago (where the weather is pretty much the same as here). Because the movie was filmed in Chicago, this was perfectly normal in that climate.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It is great for your skin, and I love feeling warm after stepping outside from the AC or getting out of a pool. In dry places, you can be cold at 100 degrees in the pool, especially with a breeze. I've experienced just that in Las Vegas!
I will try very hard to remember that the next time it is 90 degrees and I'm gasping for breath! (:

I so love our weather right now! These 50s are great for the yard work I'm doing. I can wear a long-sleeved shirt and be perfectly comfortable. I'm not sweating to death and showing too much skin for a 50-something woman.

On the other hand, I suspect you are snuggled into a fashionable fleecy poncho awaiting your move to the dessert and endless sunshine.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I will try very hard to remember that the next time it is 90 degrees and I'm gasping for breath! (:

I so love our weather right now! These 50s are great for the yard work I'm doing. I can wear a long-sleeved shirt and be perfectly comfortable. I'm not sweating to death and showing too much skin for a 50-something woman.

On the other hand, I suspect you are snuggled into a fashionable fleecy poncho awaiting your move to the dessert and endless sunshine.
How did you know!? Don't forget that I also have 2 chihuahuas snuggled in close, trying to stay warm as well!

The "s" word in the forecast this week hasn't made me happy. But since I am leaving soon, it has not depressed me as much as years past.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Enough snow = x-country skiing. There is a lot of humidity here so we won't get the dry powder that Utah does, but any x-country skiing that doesn't involve a base of ice is excellent!

You'll be in the desert by then, with luck. (:

Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Enough snow = x-country skiing. There is a lot of humidity here so we won't get the dry powder that Utah does, but any x-country skiing that doesn't involve a base of ice is excellent!

You'll be in the desert by then, with luck. (:
Oh I will! Moving next month!

The luck will come in if I can get out without every seeing the white crap again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa