Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 AM

189 posts, read 799,730 times

Advertisements

At least you're not bitter or anything Bully! Hopefully your hour's worth of venting on several posts has helped clear some of the angst you've been carrying around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 AM

24 posts, read 133,310 times
Right...not bitter! LOL

Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 AM

189 posts, read 799,730 times
The venom in your posts say otherwise, but that's ok. You've been in TX for four years now, so the healing should start one of these days. LOL

Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 PM

24 posts, read 133,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthawki View Post
The venom in your posts say otherwise, but that's ok. You've been in TX for four years now, so the healing should start one of these days. LOL
Ain't it!?! Here's to hoping!! I guess I always felt that there had to be more to life than farm community life. I lived in small rural towns my entire life, but was never a 'farm kid'. Never lived on an actual farm. I have seen so many corn fields in my life that when I saw one down here, I panicked and had flashbacks! It was only after I moved here that I realized just how hard it was to constantly worry about keeping up appearances! It is SO nice to finally be ME! And not worry about people whispering behind my back and gossip getting my children all worked up because I did or said something honest and wasn't worried about how it would look! I was born and raised in Iowa, but I am a TEXAN at heart! For people who don't wish to raise their children in the 'big city', or just want to get back to nature, or those who just want peace and quiet to retire in & the town rolls up the sidewalks at dusk--Iowa is that place! For me, I have lived the retirement portion of my existance from birth to 31--I needed new experiences, new faces, new places, and different challenges. None of which Iowa could offer. My daughter still has family there and she enjoys visiting, but she calls the south her home!! I am not bitter...really! I guess I regret being so sheltered for so long. Half of that time is my own fault. All I knew was Iowa and Iowa ways. If I had experienced what I am a part of right now when I was young, perhaps I would long for quiet and quaint and routine. Maybe one day I will want that again...but then again....OOOO THE FOOD HERE IS TOOO GOOOD! LOL

On a side note--hope ya'll are staying safe with the recent snowstorm and the new snowfall. Felt so bad for ya'll this entire winter! Just know that the kids and I went swimming yesterday and felt horrible guilt the entire time!

Old 04-18-2007, 06:01 PM

17 posts, read 79,140 times
I am a Southern Californian that lived in Council Bluffs area of Iowa from 1973 to 1978. I lived in Phoenix, Arizona as a kid and moved to California at the age of 9 to finish school over there. I returned to Southern California from Iowa in 1978 and have resided there up to now. Now I am selling my house and returning to the Council Bluffs Iowa area. Southern California has become mainly Mexican. Spanish is spoken everywhere and also on the car radio and tv unless you get satellite. Even the billboards and businesses are in Spanish. I can't wait to return to a place where the English language is the first language. Iowa may have 4 seasons but I will enjoy the change from hot and smoggy brown skies. I like nature and Iowa has trees, grass, blue skies, and even occasional thunderstorms. Quiet is another quality than can be found in Iowa. Friendly people is a plus. I even like snow. I lived on a farm up in Portsmouth and saw just how cold it can get.....but I know how to deal with it now. I'm looking forward to spending my retirement years in Iowa, fishing and boating in the summer and inside by the fireplace in the winter reading a good book. I can't wait to sit on my porch and watch the lightning bugs in the summer and even swat a few mosqitos. Iowa is still America and I love it there.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM

31 posts, read 225,751 times
I just had the opportunity to visit Iowa for a day and got a great job offer. Iowa was pretty nice. The homes are close to good work and they aren't a over a million dollars like next to were I work today (I’m not kidding). So it looks good so far. One thing I liked was not being ran off the road for once. Everyone there goes the speed limit. That is pretty amazing. Just about every driver out in Southern California blows the limit by at least 15 or 20 MPH. I'm constantly tailgated in the slow lane for going 5 MPH over the speed limit.

But in Cedar Rapids, in some places, you'll get a ticket for going 5 MPH over. HAHA! LOL! That's friken great. It's great because when your 1 month old and wife get hit by another SUV going 90 MPH on the freeway it's a great thing to see people not breaking the law. My wife and I actually feel save about driving out there. Now I know there is weather but at least it's only for part time of the year and not 24/7 365 days a year with the inconsiderate idiots on the road out here. I hear the traffic news every morning and if it isn't a fatal hit and run it's a 5 car pile up EVERYDAY.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,708 times
Are you crazy?? FRIENDLY people in Arizona?? Ha!!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM

140 posts, read 606,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cactus Sam.

You see, I've lived in the desert in California and Arizona and came back to Iowa. The problem isn't Iowa, it's you and your attitudes. They don't mix well with those found here. Just like mine didn’t mix well there. As for friendly - I, and most others who are Iowa natives - have never met a stranger. I do however avoid anyone with a lousy attitude and it sounds like you had one towards Iowa and it's people. Don't need your bad vibes, dude.

I do appreciate your comments, though. I would have appreciated them more years ago, but since I'm retiring somewhere else they aren't as important.

You see, Iowans have a tendency to tell everyone how terrible it is here so you won't move to our state. We don't want to be another California or Arizona. We want to stay Iowa. An Iowa with all it's faults, minus those people who don't appreciate why Iowa is Iowa. Pigs, corn, allergies, cold, hot, friendly, schools or lack of, State Fair, ethnic diversity, tornados, it's Iowa. Take it or leave.

As I get older I want to be in a sunnier climate and pay less taxes. That's why I'm leaving. Well, that and the influx of out-of-staters with lousy attitudes.

As for meth. Hello! Isn't anyone paying attention? Meth is a national problem. If you see a post complaining about meth being a location-specific problem you are reading a post written by an uninformed person and should be cautious about everything else they've written. They obviously don't do much research.

Iowa doesn't miss you.
I'm so very glad you said all of this to that nasty poster. Good luck and great luck on your retirement to a warmer climate (I know what you mean coming from NY and looking to relocate elsewhere). DRUGS are a global problem and until we make our families stronger and keep our children close to us and rear them ourselves rather than leaving it up to the State, it will only get worse. I am sure most are aware of this. Remember, an intelligent reader can read through nasty posts.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:45 PM

53 posts, read 201,328 times
Years ago I though AZ was a dump of a state until I moved to Texas... oh was I wrong. Tx had AZ beat by a mile when it came to hot, humid, dirty and crude. Well fear not AZ is catching up with Texas.. yeah like that's a good thing.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM

53 posts, read 201,328 times
You've just summed up AZ as well. Looks like most folks in AZ and CA are actually looking to move out of Mexico and back to the US!

I wonder what they do in Iowa for Cinco de Mayo... ignore it or don't have a clue as to what it is? I think I'd prefer a picnic lunch on the city green to a margarita and a drive by any day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa