Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM

190 posts, read 392,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Lou's Winery, Atlantic Blvd. & Mayport Rd.

I remember that place from many moons ago, however, it had a different name back then. For the life of me, I cannot remember it at this moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
How about Chicken Unlimited on Atlantic Blvd., between A1A/3rd St. and the Lums and Pic N' Save location?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM

838 posts, read 1,877,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
How about Chicken Unlimited on Atlantic Blvd., between A1A/3rd St. and the Lums and Pic N' Save location?
Don't remember Chicken Unlimited, but I sure do remember Lums ... there were 2 in Arlington ... best onion rings ever

Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM

190 posts, read 392,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Don't remember Chicken Unlimited, but I sure do remember Lums ... there were 2 in Arlington ... best onion rings ever

Famous Amos was my family's favorite. And Sambo's.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Definitely remember Lums, barely remember Chicken Unlimited.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone but not forgotten in Jacksonville!-3926562810_5d9fbcbf6b.jpg  

Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM

25 posts, read 78,761 times
If it's the '70s chicken chain restaurant I'm thinking of, wasn't there a Chicken Unlimited near the corner of University Blvd and Beach Blvd? An all-u-can-eat place?
Can anyone tell me if Paquale's Pizza at Jax Beach still exists? Anyone remember a Mr. Swiss near Wolfson High School? (It was similar to Dairy Queen.)

Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
How about Armadillo bar in Jax Beach on 1st street.....or the Cactus bar on 2nd street?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,513,826 times
Or the Crow Bar on 2nd Ave N.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM

25 posts, read 78,761 times
This thread has kind of fizzled, but I was hoping to get some input here anyway, although my question is off-topic. I was born there and lived there the first 21 years of my life. But I have been gone 35 years now. I've often entertained the thought of moving back to Jacksonville, if for no other reason than it was where I was born. And I miss the ocean. I've looked at so many pictures on the photo threads, and physically it's un-recognizeable to me, but still a very beautiful city. So, for those people who still reside there - what's some of the best things about living in Jacksonville? What are some of the worst things? Just curious.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
This thread has kind of fizzled, but I was hoping to get some input here anyway, although my question is off-topic. I was born there and lived there the first 21 years of my life. But I have been gone 35 years now. I've often entertained the thought of moving back to Jacksonville, if for no other reason than it was where I was born. And I miss the ocean. I've looked at so many pictures on the photo threads, and physically it's un-recognizeable to me, but still a very beautiful city. So, for those people who still reside there - what's some of the best things about living in Jacksonville? What are some of the worst things? Just curious.
Fizzled? I beg to differ, there's been some great discussion here.

But as someone who also left Jax 30+ years ago, I can tell you that it will not be recognizable to you if you return. Obviously there are some parts that will be familiar (the Atlantic Ocean is still there, as is the St John's River), but for the most part the city has seen such explosive growth that it wouldn't seem like the same old place.

Unfortunately, from what I have kept track of, crime has gotten a lot worse there. Jax used to be a relatively safe city, but these days it seems like criminals have bleed into all four corners of the city. Areas that were once safe are now high crime, and that trend just seems to be growing.

While I love the memories of growing up in Jacksonville, I have no desire to go back. It will never be "home" to me again, we've adopted San Antonio as our new home and while not without its problems, to us SA has a lot more going for it than Jax ever did.

Then again, it might just be those memories that are keeping me away, as Thomas Wolfe once titled one of his novels, "You can't go back home to your family, back home to your childhood ... back home to a young man's dreams of glory and of fame ... back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time – back home to the escapes of Time and Memory."

It will never be the same, no matter how hard you try to make it that way.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville