Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 AM

25 posts, read 78,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadwell_Jay View Post
That location closed only a few short years ago. It still had the add-on from the chain's 70s experiment with having a separate counter for fried chicken, converted to storage.
You might be thinking of Godfather's, which was in the Gazebo shopping center facing N. University (corner of Ft. Caroline).
No, the Camel Rider place I remember wasn't called that. It was south of JU but I don't remember the name. When I last was in Jacksonville in '77 there was NO shopping center on the corner of Univ. and Ft. Caroline.

Last edited by LeeMT; 06-23-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Growing up on the southside:

Anyone here attend Love Grove elementary from 1960 - 1966? Do you remember all your teacher's names?

Last edited by LeeMT; 06-23-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 AM

65 posts, read 306,777 times
Baseball: my Dad was on the Jacksonville Tars.

Yes, I've been here all my life..... so far :-)

I have a question;
Has anyone heard what happened to Att Ronnie Bloom ?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,511,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councillor View Post
I have a question;
Has anyone heard what happened to Att Ronnie Bloom ?
Yes! Jacksonville attorney Ronald Bloom was suspended from practicing law in Florida by the Florida Supreme Court for 30 days. “There is clear and convincing evidence that Bloom appears to be causing great public harm by converting attorney fees previously assigned to accompany; soliciting loans from clients out of settlement proceeds; failing to deposit client trust funds into a trust account; failing to produce closing statements on settlements pursuant to a subpoena failing to maintain minimum trust account records; and being in possession of a controlled substance.”

Info found here ... Local attorney suspended by Florida Supreme Court - The Financial News & Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 PM

65 posts, read 306,777 times
Wow, Thanks madcap !!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM

8 posts, read 19,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMT View Post
No, the Camel Rider place I remember wasn't called that. It was south of JU but I don't remember the name. When I last was in Jacksonville in '77 there was NO shopping center on the corner of Univ. and Ft. Caroline.
Ah.

Anyway, my sister thinks the shop I was thinking of was named something simple like "Gazebo Sandwich Shop", and is certain it was not a Camel Rider.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,873 times
I remember the Southern Brick & Stone commercials...their work was "chicken-proof", as I remember it. Anyone remember Ranger Hal? I remember Skipper Ed & Popeye's Playhouse with fond memories.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yw00369 View Post
I remember the Southern Brick & Stone commercials...their work was "chicken-proof", as I remember it. Anyone remember Ranger Hal? I remember Skipper Ed & Popeye's Playhouse with fond memories.
I would always watch Ranger Hal early in the morning before running off to school. On his show he had this cartoon about a deer or maybe an antelope with magical powers, remember that? Then we would never miss the Popeye and Bozo show on Skipper Ed in the afternoon. Anyone remember the Frosty Morn commercial with the singing pigs? It's actually on Youtube!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 AM

190 posts, read 391,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesthebeaches View Post
Here's another blast from the past.....does anyone remember Western Auto on Beach just east of Penman Road or Silver's Drugs on First St (it's now a souvenir shop)?

Ok, I may have a bit of memory loss regarding Silver's Drugs....It may have been Floyd's 5 & 10. Either way, it has been a souvenir shop for several years now.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 15,754 times
Back after a short hiatus and all caught up. Glad to see this thread still going strong. I lived in Jax from '73 to '80 and this thread has brought back so fond memories.

I was hoping to see some posts from former denizens or employees of the Western Sizzlin on Beach Blvd but, ah well. Wasn't that great a steakhouse anyways. If you were lucky, you'd be there when they got a shipment of real good beef (sirloin butts- from Brooklyn NY, of all places -I'm from Brooklyn- ) and had me cooking them then you got a good meal for a decent price. They had the biggest baked potatoes!
They had a great wait staff there. 2 of the long time "girls" were Linda (good lookin "older woman"- I was 20 or 22 at the time so she being late 30's made her an "older woman" to me ) and Emily, a true Southern Gentlewoman you'd swear just walked off of a plantation...Oh! And before I forget! I met my wife of 31 yrs there. Man, if she read this thread and saw i forgot to mention that....sheeesh!

Re; Milligans-
When I first visited Jax in the late '60's my Dad toook me and my brothers to Milligans-Can't remember where but I'm pretty sure it was close the the Heart of Jax. Now, being from Bkln, I was exposed to many different types of burgers. What they all had in common, tho, was that they were alll served with Ketchup !
Was I in for a suprise when I bit into my first Milligans cheese Burger. It had mustard on it . I almost spit it out. After the second bite tho, I decided it wasnt too bad. After about 6 burgers I was a Milligans Junkie

Anyways, time to end this. I hope I didnt make too big a wall 'o text. I'm not used to this much typing- it;s a lot to me, anyways... Thanx for reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville