Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
that's what we need, a toll road!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,196 times
I think Toll Roads will be coming to Cali in the next 4 years. There's only 1 in LA that I know of. There are bridge tolls in the Bay Area...but the "main Interstates"--the I5, I10, I15, I210...the State Routes (PCH, 99, etc) are also toll-less at this point. But with annual traffic and maintenance costs increasing...either tolls or taxes will have to be jacked up out here to pay.

I've read about some states selling off the "maintenance" of their Interstates (Indiana and Missouri, I believe) to private companies who install tolls.

I assume Jacksonville is "Toll Free?"

Old 02-12-2008, 01:27 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,895 times
Yup we're toll free. only thing we got is the 295 circle and 95 interstate that runs North/South like a sword through a big apple. Orlando has toll roads that runs the outer side of the city, bypassing inter city I4 traffic.

oh wait, there's the 10, which started in JAX to Santa Monica, CA.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:05 PM

131 posts, read 621,690 times
I pray they make the new bridge over the river a toll bridge or it will never be built, well 25-30 years...

Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Good grief this list is frightening and possibly quite accurate. I would draw a large circle from Los Angeles to Stockton and just add that entire area (Stockton/Merced/Modesto/Fresno/Bakersfield/LA) into one MASSIVE MISERY STATE!

The weather, taxes, toll hassles really knock Chicago/NYC off their pegs. People get tired of reaching into their wallet everytime they want to TRAVEL to do something. New York is also a commuter city. People work and play during the week but they CLEAR OUT EVERY WEEKEND so NYC, specifically, is a ghost town every weekend except for the places that cater to Tourists (Rockefeller Square/Soho)...

Jacksonville is looking pretty good compared to those cities....
I am not sure which New York you visited, but it is anything but a ghost town on the weekends. Greenwich Village, NYU area, Columbia area, a large radius around Times Square, many areas in the boroughs are full of people during most hours of the day.

No where else have I ever been able to see massive crowds of people on the streets at 3am. At Times Square for instance, I could go there anytime and find massive, massive crowds of people. 2am....4am....Friday, Saturday...pick a time you will see massive crowds of people.

And if you want 24 hour dining go to Korea Town. Their community never sleeps.

There is so much more in the boroughs that you can find to do at any day any hour that I was never able to discover.

Heck, even road construction takes place 24 hours a day.

To call NYC a ghost town is a NYC I have never been to.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:25 PM

53 posts, read 58,152 times
Saw the list... NO WAY Charlotte NC is more miserable than Miami or Orlando. NO WAY. So, I dont really believe the survey anyhow, based on that alone. But Philly, NYC, and some of those biggin' Northeastern cities, I believe it.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,602 times
new york city a ghost town? it clears out? really???

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AH AHA HAH AHA HA A AHA AAAAAAAAH HA.

wow. where do all those millions of people go? even here in freezing chicago there is action on the streets till the bars close at four or five. i know this to be true, because i am one of the people stumbling around...

Old 02-12-2008, 03:29 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
that's what we need, a toll road!!!
I thought I read in the paper a few months back that the city council was going to consider adding some tolls to help offset the expected (and now passed) property tax reforms.

I just love the city council. Sheesh.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
The fact that Miami did not make the list causes the whole list to be suspect to me. I do agree with some of the other cities being there, though.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
new york city a ghost town? it clears out? really???

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH AH AHA HAH AHA HA A AHA AAAAAAAAH HA.

wow. where do all those millions of people go? even here in freezing chicago there is action on the streets till the bars close at four or five. i know this to be true, because i am one of the people stumbling around...
Spring/Summer -- Everyone bails to Hamptons/Upper NY Mountains/Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket/Jersey Shore

Winter --off to Stowe, New Hampshire, or down to FL for the weekend

Fall--not as much "fleeing" for the weekend...because this is the only time the weather and smell of NYC aren't unbearable...

Show me an open bar in Midtown, Downtown on the weekend..and I'll show you an empty bar. I never said NYC was a ghost-town MIDWEEK...it's not. It's just not the place on the weekends...unless you're a suburban kid or a tourist from Kansas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville