Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 AM

859 posts, read 3,619,202 times

Advertisements

Just saw this list.
In Pictures: America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

I'm posting it strictly for conversation piece, since so many people are comparing JAX with few of the cities on that list. Or are moving from those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 AM

265 posts, read 994,548 times
Interesting fact according to the US Census Bureau Jax is #12 in population.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times
The biggest irony is NYC coming in at 4th on the list. I guess big bucks don't necessarily equate to happiness after all.
Then OMG, Chicago! Some ex-Jaxites have been telling me it's heaven out there in the windy city.
I guess I'll hang around here in Jax a while longer.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

541 posts, read 2,287,014 times
I did my research based on stats and numbers and living guides before I moved here, and I must say it is nearly impossible to know about a place based on stats and Forbes based research. You really need to spend about a month in a place to find out what it is all about. It is surprising that some of the best cities in the world are on this list-o-misery....New York and Chicago.

As a young person, I would take New York and Chicago any day.....I would even take Providence....meet some of the ivy leaguers from Brown!!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:15 AM

459 posts, read 1,418,269 times
well, that's objective!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,737,881 times
Well, I was kidding around before about NYC and Chicago being on the Forbes misery list. Actually, I have lived in both cities and I would say that in general they are two of the finest cities. I have said before that the best way to know if you are going to be happy in any environment is to pay a visit and evaluate it for yourself. Unfortunately not every family has the luxury of spending a month checking out a city in advance. And even so, it is much like reading up on a new car and test driving it for days and then finding it doesn't fit in your garage. So stats and numbers and even feedback from city forums like this are going to play an important role in any decision to relocate.

But what this misery list shows is that there are reasons to be miserable in any city in America. I have friends in NYC who complain about taxes and commuting and the cost of living but still they wouldn't dream of leaving NYC. I am sure Chicagoans hate the bitter winters but love the fact that there is alot to do there, so they aint leaving. And alot of folks here in Jax wish we had some big city things to do here, but still we wouldn't want to give up the other things like weather, beach, sun, no stress, low taxes etc. Every city has its quota of misery, some more than others, so we just have to find some positive things to compensate. I'm still looking for my perfect place to live.

Last edited by cricketfan; 02-12-2008 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM

131 posts, read 621,877 times
Chicago is an AMAZING city 3-4 months out of the year. The only way that they could have rated it miserable is if the poll was done this past weekend when the wind chill hit
-45!!! Are you kidding me? People complain around here when it hits 45!! Give Chicago our climate and it maybe the best city in the world, close even w/o it imho.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,600 times
Good grief this list is frightening and possibly quite accurate. I would draw a large circle from Los Angeles to Stockton and just add that entire area (Stockton/Merced/Modesto/Fresno/Bakersfield/LA) into one MASSIVE MISERY STATE!

The weather, taxes, toll hassles really knock Chicago/NYC off their pegs. People get tired of reaching into their wallet everytime they want to TRAVEL to do something. New York is also a commuter city. People work and play during the week but they CLEAR OUT EVERY WEEKEND so NYC, specifically, is a ghost town every weekend except for the places that cater to Tourists (Rockefeller Square/Soho)...

Jacksonville is looking pretty good compared to those cities....

Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 PM

459 posts, read 1,418,269 times
yeah. it is so cold it's SICK here. i grew up in jax and never in a million years thought i would be walking around in weather that's twenty degrees below zero. it hurt to breathe yesterday out there. and now it's snowing again...

that said, i love it here.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:00 PM

131 posts, read 621,877 times
Put the toll roads are there to make getting around easier. You can take a longer route and not pay anything. For years I drove down one highway, which was toll free, but they opened up a new route not too long ago that was a toll but saved about 30 min for that drive. I gladly paid the toll. Too bad they had to build a(n) expensive/special bridge along that route so that some endangered species of dragonflies had enough room to fly. But that is a whole other issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville