Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 10:37 AM

200 posts, read 157,259 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's more than ironic that an old leftist like Nancy Pelosi from awful California decides to move to "awful" Florida, the home of Donald Trump, Rick DeSantis, Rick Scott, K.T. McFarland, Mike Huckabee and many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbee View Post
You also assume a lot. Good character is a given for good neighbors, and all the folks we know fall into that category. The fact that you have to mention it is interesting, have you had any bad experiences? We certainly have not, not in our neighborhood anyway.
Negative.
Being a *good* neighbor does not automatically go to high character.
A 'neighbor" is a person or place in relation to others near or next to it, by definition.
A 'neighbor' may in fact be very kind to you, friendly and even helpful to YOU. That 'neighbor' may also be a crook, shyster, drug user, drug dealer, pimp, criminal, killer or abuser.
Nope, good character is NOT a 'given' for a good neighbor. You may not know his past, or his current private life.
Keep believing such nonsense. I know better being a Floridian.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:22 AM

44 posts, read 55,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronDavidSchultz View Post
Negative.
Being a *good* neighbor does not automatically go to high character.
A 'neighbor" is a person or place in relation to others near or next to it, by definition.
A 'neighbor' may in fact be very kind to you, friendly and even helpful to YOU. That 'neighbor' may also be a crook, shyster, drug user, drug dealer, pimp, criminal, killer or abuser.
Nope, good character is NOT a 'given' for a good neighbor. You may not know his past, or his current private life.
Keep believing such nonsense. I know better being a Floridian.
That didn't take you long...

Old 12-29-2021, 07:58 PM

You have a problem with Floridians being on a Florida forum?? that's too odd. My goodness!

Old 12-30-2021, 02:53 PM

44 posts, read 55,321 times
Quote:
You have a problem with Floridians being on a Florida forum?? that's too odd. My goodness!
I was referring to the fact that you quickly move into the "native Floridian" mode. As if you are the only one who is entitled to an opinion.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:36 PM

10 posts, read 6,526 times
This is one reason that Floridians don't want northerners moving in. You're equating money with being a good neighbor. Some of the best people I've known are hard-working, blue-collar, near the poverty-line individuals. They're people of good CHARACTER. Money comes and goes throughout your life. Character doesn't usually change. Until you truly understand that, you won't be able to accurately see why it is that Floridians don't want people who strive to add to government theft to move here.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:27 AM

Well stated.

It's very odd that some people seem to bristle with any reference to a resident being "native and/or local" Floridians.

There is much understandable pride in historic nativism of residents of many many states - I know many proud "native Oklahomans", "native Tennesseans", "native Alabamians", "native New Yorkers" (some of the most vocal in being so), "native Georgians".

I'd like to see some of these resentful transplants relocate to Oklahoma or Alabama, and bristle about *those* natives referring to themselves without a certain pride. While they are at it, try assailing those natives of Wyoming and Texas while attempting to move there (or worse yet, just arrived there)- I assure you you might get your butt kicked just for being stupid....I know you will in Mississippi or Kentucky.

Arrogance is not a good look for current transplants, but most can't see that either, lol.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:27 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Well stated.

It's very odd that some people seem to bristle with any reference to a resident being "native and/or local" Floridians.

There is much understandable pride in historic nativism of residents of many many states - I know many proud "native Oklahomans", "native Tennesseans", "native Alabamians", "native New Yorkers" (some of the most vocal in being so), "native Georgians".

I'd like to see some of these resentful transplants relocate to Oklahoma or Alabama, and bristle about *those* natives referring to themselves without a certain pride. While they are at it, try assailing those natives of Wyoming and Texas while attempting to move there (or worse yet, just arrived there)- I assure you you might get your butt kicked just for being stupid....I know you will in Mississippi or Kentucky.

Arrogance is not a good look for current transplants, but most can't see that either, lol.
This is laughable, as is this feigned superiority for being a native. You had no choice in the matter, you were born in FL based off of decisions your parents, or their parents, or their parents made way back when. Nothing you did gives you any reason to feel superior to someone who relocated there for a job, for the weather, or for any reason under the sun.

I see lots of "NATIVE FL!" bumper stickers driving around and I always sort of roll my eyes. Like they achieved something through hard work, give me a break.

You didn't discover the light bulb. You didn't split the atom. You were born within an imaginary boundary set by our ancestors. Wow, I'm going to put a sticker on my car and tell everyone how great I think I am because of that and put down anyone who wasn't originally from the area.

It's moronic, child-like logic.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:32 AM

You don't get it....fine.

"Superiority" is something concocted in your own head (deflection)...again, fine. The salient issue of "nativism" has nothing to do with the concept and paradigm of "superiority" - asserting that seems foolish. The concept of superiority was never asserted by the writer.

Most reasonable people and most thinking people would tend to know that say, a "native to New York City" who has lived, matriculated, and worked in "The City", knows far more about the culture, habits, tastes, religion, history, transportation, amenities, ethnicities, education, and politics of "New York" than a recent "transplant" (even for a few years), say, from Toledo, Ohio or say, Butte Montana or Pine Bluff, Arkansas who decides to MOVE to New York.

How's that^ for "logic" ? (and I learned principles of Logic in prep school, well before undergraduate school)

That's the point. It ain't about "superiority"....but no matter, you don't get it even after a basic, cogent comparison and example.

Believe me, no worries, I understand...fully.

Carry on. Have Peace for the New Year!

Last edited by AaronDavidSchultz; 01-03-2022 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 07:35 AM

122 posts, read 261,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
This is laughable, as is this feigned superiority for being a native.
Maybe it is just jealousy, that other folks have saved, have become affluent, and can afford to opt for what they consider a better lifestyle, I say good for them. So they push up home prices, that is good for existing homeowners, and home price increases are inevitable over time anyway. Who cares what their ilk happens to be? Live and let live. We are long time Floridians, not native, but very long timers, we like to see folks coming from other states to contribute to the diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville