Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 04:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,899 times

Advertisements

I don’t care what political affiliation you are in. I’m a Republican and am leaving NY, that’s all I know. I didn’t ask anyone for a political battle. So going back to what I asked, can anyone else give me any information or things that helped them move to this area? I will be looking for a full time job, that's my biggest priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 05:09 AM

5 posts, read 6,266 times
In a perfect world politics wouldn't matter. But the quality of life decreases substantially when left wing voters start moving into an area. People understandably don't want their nice areas to eventually deteriorate like NY, Chicago, California, etc. And many people fleeing these areas have zero self-awareness.

Florida is one of the best states in the US. It needs to stay that way.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:22 AM

486 posts, read 517,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoFL2021 View Post
I don’t care what political affiliation you are in. I’m a Republican and am leaving NY, that’s all I know. I didn’t ask anyone for a political battle. So going back to what I asked, can anyone else give me any information or things that helped them move to this area? I will be looking for a full time job, that's my biggest priority.
Good luck with that, there is a certain percentage of posters on the Florida forum who act like they are on a Jihad against anyone not as conservative as them... and that only the "right people" are allowed in Florida. Beware if you are not conservatively pure enough.

I do not live in St Johns, but instead in Nassau county. I also work from home, having kept my job from Connecticut when I moved here(18 mo before Covid). That would be my first choice in jobs if you can manage it and work in an office setting, many companies are amenable to remote work now.

After that I think it depends on the industry you are in. Probably share that so people can help you more.

When it comes to where to live for schools, the internet will feed you a St Johns or Garbage myth for schools. St Johns school are generally very good, with some exceptions, but they are also massively overcrowded and tend to be pressure cooker environments. They are great though if you want your kids in special elective programs when they get to high school or are looking for the "neighborhood elementary" style schools.

After St Johns, in the common rankings, Nassau is next. Nassau county schools are not as overcrowded, however that is changing with all the construction up here. Nassau county is definitely more small town feeling compared to St Johns. Fernandina Beach gives you an actual town center that is not just a glorified pretty strip mall, something much more like what you would be used to in nicer NY towns.

Next comes Clay county. Fleming Island is the spot here for sure. Great schools, decent shopping, etc.

Duval is a bit spottier, but there are great pockets of schools as well. Generally the beaches areas (Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach) and the Mandarin areas have the best schools, but there are other good ones out there, like Bartram Springs elementary in Bartram Park for example(a good spot for apartments if you want one). Duval county housing will get you much closer to the common work environments, unless you are looking at industrial/warehousing type work in which case Clay county and Nassau are closer.

A lot of these decisions will be better guided by your industry and your housing budget however.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:38 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerp View Post
Here’s some of the ways people, including little kids, noticed blue votes since March 2020 in blue governor states without frequenting social media:

No school in person until late winter 2021.

School only a couple of days a week from late winter 2021 until mid-spring 2021.

Have to wear a mask to school since return to in person.

Age 12-18 and in school in California? Fuhrer Newsom is forcing you to get a vaccine for a virus that is less dangerous to those under age 25 than them riding in a car.

Age 5-11 and in school in California? Fuhrer Newsom is going to force you to get a vaccine for a virus that is less dangerous to those under age 25 than them riding in a car.

School playgrounds and parks closed until fall 2020.

Sand being dumped in their public skate parks by control crazy blue politicians in California.

No kids organized sports for a year.

Have to wear a mask for outdoors sports 1st half of 2021 or your team is banned from competing (in things like Little League baseball).

Have to wear a mask for indoors activities, like gymnastics, basketball, bowling, etc, to this day.

Have to wear masks outside at things like track meets, except when running.

Parents currently in the process of losing their jobs because of unneeded vaccine mandates.

Businesses close because of blue governor actions.

Social isolation, depression and suicide due to control freak blue politicians hyping up the fear factor over COVID-19.

Restaurants closed for most of 2020.

Have to wear masks at a restaurant when going to your table or the restroom, but not while eating. Because the virus can’t circulate from a person when they’re eating.

I’m sure there’s more.

Ummmm, you realize Florida is a RED state, right? Run by predominantly Republicans, who were the ones who voted to enact all of these so-called "blue" initiatives you mentioned above.

Nice try.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:47 AM

367 posts, read 304,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Ummmm, you realize Florida is a RED state, right? Run by predominantly Republicans, who were the ones who voted to enact all of these so-called "blue" initiatives you mentioned above.

Nice try.
Bruhhh, Florida has had practically no restrictions in place since late Sept 2020.

And DeSantis certainly isn’t pulling a Gavin Newsom.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:58 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,153,663 times
Quote:
Don’t bring blue votes to Florida. Thanks.
Funny how this 1 little innocent line completely derailed this thread lol. I don't do politics so you keep doing what you do. God bless.

OP: Can't help you with finding a full time job but as a NJ transplant (2015), moving to this area with a 1.5 yr old at the time was the best decision we made. We wanted to be as close to the beach as humanly possible and had relatives in Ponte Vedra Beach (PVB) so we specifically concentrated our search to PVB. With elementary schools ranking in the top 10 of 2500+ traditional public schools in Florida, it was a no brainer. The high school is no slouch either (ranked 395 nationally out of 24,000+ high schools - US News and World Reports).

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. The search function is a good tool here also. I read pretty much every thread pertaining to this area prior to moving here. Tremendous help.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 26,394 times
I live in Fleming Island which has been mentioned. If you look in Clay County, there tends to be a decent dropoff between the schools in Fleming Island and the rest of the county.

FWIW, when I moved here from out of the area, I originally targeted NW St. Johns County for the schools. I think it's a good idea to visit and drive around these various areas and determine what you like. After house hunting for awhile, my wife and I developed a strong preference for Fleming Island over NW St. Johns County. But, I don't expect everyone would feel the same way.

With some more input, people here may be able to point you in a better direction, but I definitely recommend visiting for a weekend and looking at more of the areas than what you have so far and seeing if it's what you want.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:30 PM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Bruhhh, Florida has had practically no restrictions in place since late Sept 2020.

And DeSantis certainly isn’t pulling a Gavin Newsom.
Then what are you complaining about, exactly?

Old 10-13-2021, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 17,260 times
I have a young family as well and we are visiting St Johns county for the 2nd time in two weeks.

Nocatee is essentially sold out until they release more lots...so we are looking into places like Mill Creek, Shearwater and Rivertown.

Do you think it will be easy for kids to make friends out there without being in the heart of the "action" in Nocatee?

Old 10-14-2021, 06:42 AM

486 posts, read 517,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads1123 View Post
I have a young family as well and we are visiting St Johns county for the 2nd time in two weeks.

Nocatee is essentially sold out until they release more lots...so we are looking into places like Mill Creek, Shearwater and Rivertown.

Do you think it will be easy for kids to make friends out there without being in the heart of the "action" in Nocatee?
Wow the national Nocatee propaganda is still just as strong as it was a few years ago when I was moving to the region I see.

No you do not need to live in Nocatee to have friends for your kids. There are plenty of young families and kids in all of the communities in the area.

I do not live in a big community in Nassau County, we do not even have an amenity center(or the CDD fees that go with it), and yet we fill up the school bus with less than 100 houses.

Jacksonville is not like the rest of Florida, it is not retirement central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville