Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 PM

31 posts, read 143,074 times

Advertisements

I'm craving for sushi... two questions:

1) best affordable place for sushi in Jax

2) best place to buy ingredients to make home made sushi (eg fresh fish, seaweed wraps, authentic wasabi, etc.)

thanks in advance for your tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
1) Crazy Sushi in Tinseltown is one of my recent faves (in the Publix shopping center on Touchton Road just off Southside Blvd).

2) Native Sun will have your supplies in the macrobiotic area of the store. If you go to the 9A & Baymeadows Road location, it will be on the shelves facing you as soon as you go in - just after the fresh produce. You'll probably want to go elsewhere for the fish, but they'll have everything else........don't forget the Rice Wine Vinegar - a key ingredient !

Alternative: Nam Hai in Lakewood, on University Blvd just past St. Augustine road, will have all your supplies too and for a much better price (I buy the seaweed in big bulk packages for less here....they last quite a while). You kind of have to know what you're looking for here, it's a typical crowded asian store with narrow aisles and the food has asian labels .

Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM

31 posts, read 143,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
1) Crazy Sushi in Tinseltown is one of my recent faves (in the Publix shopping center on Touchton Road just off Southside Blvd).

2) Native Sun will have your supplies in the macrobiotic area of the store. If you go to the 9A & Baymeadows Road location, it will be on the shelves facing you as soon as you go in - just after the fresh produce. You'll probably want to go elsewhere for the fish, but they'll have everything else........don't forget the Rice Wine Vinegar - a key ingredient !

Alternative: Nam Hai in Lakewood, on University Blvd just past St. Augustine road, will have all your supplies too and for a much better price (I buy the seaweed in big bulk packages for less here....they last quite a while). You kind of have to know what you're looking for here, it's a typical crowded asian store with narrow aisles and the food has asian labels .
Wow. Thanks for the tip. Will try Crazy Sushi soon.

As for the fish, do I really need to drive all the way to Mayport to get fresh fish? are there grocery stores around who may sell good fish for sushi as well?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agila View Post
Wow. Thanks for the tip. Will try Crazy Sushi soon.

As for the fish, do I really need to drive all the way to Mayport to get fresh fish? are there grocery stores around who may sell good fish for sushi as well?
Whenever I make sushi rolls at home, mine are all veggie. I'm a little nervous about going the raw fish route myself at home .

But no, I don't think you have to go to Mayport. I would just seek out a clean looking shop and tell them your intentions and let them direct you to the freshest pieces . The fish is pretty much all coming from the same places anyway.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 PM

102 posts, read 551,421 times
I dunno Riveree... If there is one thing that I have noticed about Jacksonville... There are hardly ANY Japanese places...

Old 10-21-2007, 08:34 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroth View Post
I dunno Riveree... If there is one thing that I have noticed about Jacksonville... There are hardly ANY Japanese places...

I don't know where you are but here at the beaches there are a few japanese places

Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 AM

29 posts, read 111,710 times
Crazy Sushi around the corner from Publix on Southside blvd. Her brother owns the one in Riverside called Sushi House which is very good also.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 AM

102 posts, read 551,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
I don't know where you are but here at the beaches there are a few japanese places
I was just playing... It seems like you can't look in a direction and not see a Japanese place, sometimes. Actually, now that I think about it, we were up in Hilliard and Callahan this weekend, and didnt see any...

Old 10-22-2007, 06:44 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
Has anyone seen a local place that does the "all you can eat" sushi??

In s. fl, many sushi places gave you little slips of paper and you just checked off what you wanted sushi, tempura, rolls and you'd keep eatubg until you thought you would explode!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
Has anyone seen a local place that does the "all you can eat" sushi??

In s. fl, many sushi places gave you little slips of paper and you just checked off what you wanted sushi, tempura, rolls and you'd keep eatubg until you thought you would explode!
there's a place in jax beach that does it for $25, but I find it hard to believe that it is a good deal, I have never spent so much on sushi, I usually go with my son and we eat alot of sushi and the bill is rarely over $50 including drinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville