Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
That's why the economy is suffering... Companies are lowballing salaries and making salaried people into overtime slaves. I've stood up for myself at job interviews and presented a low minimum wage of $48,000 a year for myself, which is a pathetic wage for someone with 5.75 years experience and my skill set. If a company cannot hire you at a good wage working like a slave for them and doing awesome work will not pay off as they will rip you off when you ask for a salary raise which they will be very cheap on and they will disreguard your achievements.

If I interview at a company that lowballs me I give them the spiel that that's why the economy is suffering... Corporate profits ahead of people. Like Caterpiller is making record profits and they threaten to cut salaries of their workers and increase their health care costs. I stood up recruiter calling me for Caterpiller temp Mech Eng jobs which I tell them the minimum for suck a heavy skill requirement contract job should be $30/hr - they try to lowball me at $27/hr, - which is the rate I will work for them for easier Proe Designer or Technical Writer work.

I interviewed at Cummins Alison and I was among 10 people called for a first interview among 221 competing resumes. I didn't get a second interview despite having perfect qualifications for the job; I had everything they needed but my salary of $48,000 a year was too much for them. I have 2 years of Proe experience, 2 years of Tech Writing, knowledge of PLCS, Industrial Controls, and knowledge of programming good enough to understand and document PC automated machinery - so yes, I should be worth an entry level engineer's salary of $56,000 - which Cummins Alison and Cozzini said "was too much." At this level of skills, knowledge, experience, and school training college is just not worth it. I met a former factory worker who quit factory work at Platt Luggage and has stayed at Home Depot for 15 years - her salary now ... $60,000 + health insurance + a steady easier Home Depot job... But sometimes I think she lied to me about her salary.
Why waste your breath?

It may make you feel good intiially, but that just goes in one ear and out the other, and dosn't improve or solve anything when it's all said and done (especially if it's from someone as relatively unimportant as you). Business will continue as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

lol - some sucker will take the position!

Yes some "sucker" will take the position. Yes, that "sucker" will have a job. Yes, that "sucker" could learn some valuable skills and make some valuable connections that could lead to a better position in the future.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Yes, it's what they are doing now. Chipping down the wages lower.

You don't answer the phone on the first ring and remember which job out of the 100 jobs you applied to and they get annoyed and pass you by.

I can't wait till this turns around.
If this is the new normal, I think I may emigrate. Again.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Yes some "sucker" will take the position. Yes, that "sucker" will have a job. Yes, that "sucker" could learn some valuable skills and make some valuable connections that could lead to a better position in the future.
And miss Jerry Springer reruns? (sar, of course)

Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And miss Jerry Springer reruns? (sar, of course)
When I was unemployed for 5 months, I personally did not miss a single episode of Maury . Now I have to DVR it!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Yes, it's what they are doing now. Chipping down the wages lower.

You don't answer the phone on the first ring and remember which job out of the 100 jobs you applied to and they get annoyed and pass you by.

I can't wait till this turns around.

That's why I apply to those low paying jobs on purpose and ignore there voicemails when they call to setup a interview-lol

Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Its actually better to have balance. Late 90s employee shortage put us at a disadvantage vs the world.
The full employment 5-6% unemployed in transition level is best.
1999 was the dot com boom and the economy was steaming hot. IT jobs were the hottest and people were paid great salaries at that time. A labor shortaqge is good for better wages for employees; they get paid well and spend money on stuff which further boosts the economy. The US was ahead of the world in the late 90s and other countries kept asking, "How do we get a Silicon Valley in out country?" I don't think corporate profit were suffering at this time too. And Y2K jobs paid outrageous salaries to IT workers.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
1999 was the dot com boom and the economy was steaming hot. IT jobs were the hottest and people were paid great salaries at that time. A labor shortaqge is good for better wages for employees; they get paid well and spend money on stuff which further boosts the economy. The US was ahead of the world in the late 90s and other countries kept asking, "How do we get a Silicon Valley in out country?" I don't think corporate profit were suffering at this time too. And Y2K jobs paid outrageous salaries to IT workers.
Long term, a shortage is NOT good for the economy. Firms OVERPAY, and overseas competitors put them out of business. It went well beyond dotcom.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
My point was that she got OVERWHELMING response to her first ad. Everyone (it seems) wants to work at home, create your own hours, etc... yet none of the folks she interviewed fit her idea of an 'ideal' employee... and now she's offering for LESS money... which means she now knows how desperate people are, and can offer them HALF... and someone will take it.

I was lucky enough not to be 'desperate' this time around - I got 6 weeks notice of my lay-off, multiple job offers from my client and boss, references from those I worked with... but chose another path entirely. But I'm always looking for 'more'.

Someone who is desperate will take her job. And a few months later, they will take that knowledge to another company. And she'll be needing to hire again, and now competing against her own training program. It's so much easier to find a job, once you have one. She's shooting herself in the proverbial foot.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Oh, this is typical.

My favorite example I just saw today.

For the past 2 years, a local national lab has been looking to hire an expert in modeling IR signatures generated by missiles and rockets. The job requirements are so steep that I suspect that there are only a handful of people in the nation who could meet them, so the inability to hire somebody is not surprising.

Today, I just saw the same job turn up as a temporary, contract position in the job listings of a local job-shop?!

So, I guess the logic is that if one cannot fill a full-time, high-requirement position, it makes sense to decrease the pay and job security to attract candidates? Yeah, somehow I don't think that'll work out.

Good luck in your job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search