Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:01 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's essentially what it is.

There's no right way to answer the question, as every interviewer is different.

If you go with the executive summary route, the employer will think you're just reiterating what's already on the resume (what more they would want to know, I don't know) and that will annoy them.

If you go with the hobbies/interest route, they'll wonder why are you telling me stuff that has nothing to do with the job you're doing.

If you go with the personality route (I.E. goal oriented, hard worker, success driven, etc.), they'll think you rehearsed the question and you're lying.

If you think about how to answer the question too long, they'll assume you're slow.

You just can't win when that question is asked.

The interview I've seen go well is when the interviewer actually reviews word for word what's on your resume and asks you to elaborate on them. What's the point of sending over my resume in the first place if you're just going to ask me to tell you about myself anyway?

Right, the question wasn't asking what you know about the company,
it asked to talk about YOURSELF.

It's very hard to toot one's horn. Your accomplishments, education, skills, and experience
used to get you the job.

Now, it's all about how well one can BS them.

That's what they want, BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Right, the question wasn't asking what you know about the company,
it asked to talk about YOURSELF.

It's very hard to toot one's horn. Your accomplishments, education, skills, and experience
used to get you the job.

Now, it's all about how well one can BS them.

That's what they want, BS.
We know they want BS.

The million dollar question is, what type of BS are they looking for, and furthermore, where do you cross the line of BSing and lying.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
We know they want BS.

The million dollar question is, what type of BS are they looking for, and furthermore, where do you cross the line of BSing and lying.

Why I never got ahead...................

Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
I;m in the process of coming up with a answer for this question and my answer below is for a job coach position.

"I have always been a very helpful and sharing person which has been very noticeable in every work environment I been apart of the past 13 years. I like to share ideas with coworkers and help those who need some assistance on certain projects so that we can all function as a team which is important when achieving company goals. I also enjoy sharing new job search information with my clients so they can develop new job search skills and pass on the information to family and friends in their community. I'm passionate about giving back knowledge that i gain so that I can help my coworkers become better team players and help my clients gain professional development skills. As long as I;m learning, achieving, and giving back somehow, at the end of the day I'm very satisfied."

What do you think?? This is just a rough draft

Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:
That's essentially what it is.

There's no right way to answer the question, as every interviewer is different.

If you go with the executive summary route, the employer will think you're just reiterating what's already on the resume (what more they would want to know, I don't know) and that will annoy them.

If you go with the hobbies/interest route, they'll wonder why are you telling me stuff that has nothing to do with the job you're doing.

If you go with the personality route (I.E. goal oriented, hard worker, success driven, etc.), they'll think you rehearsed the question and you're lying.

If you think about how to answer the question too long, they'll assume you're slow.

You just can't win when that question is asked.

The interview I've seen go well is when the interviewer actually reviews word for word what's on your resume and asks you to elaborate on them. What's the point of sending over my resume in the first place if you're just going to ask me to tell you about myself anyway?
Cmon guys. When you interview apolicants you know that hald of them had somebody elae wright it and the other half lied. Sometimes you just want to hear it from the apolicant and not the internet service that qrote the resume. Its your opportunity to shine and prove you have basic verbal skills.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Cmon guys. When you interview apolicants you know that hald of them had somebody elae wright it and the other half lied. Sometimes you just want to hear it from the apolicant and not the internet service that qrote the resume. Its your opportunity to shine and prove you have basic verbal skills.

Anyone talking to me for one minute can tell I have "verbal skills"...what the heck... everyone isn't a moron out here.

I've done writing, sales, and business communications on top of my professional career.

Anyone worth a nickel interviewing me should be able to discern that I can communicate.

The question is to get you to ramble on about yourself and to volunteer information you wouldn't necessarily fork over with the normal questioning.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I;m in the process of coming up with a answer for this question and my answer below is for a job coach position.

"I have always been a very helpful and sharing person which has been very noticeable in every work environment I been apart of the past 13 years. I like to share ideas with coworkers and help those who need some assistance on certain projects so that we can all function as a team which is important when achieving company goals. I also enjoy sharing new job search information with my clients so they can develop new job search skills and pass on the information to family and friends in their community. I'm passionate about giving back knowledge that i gain so that I can help my coworkers become better team players and help my clients gain professional development skills. As long as I;m learning, achieving, and giving back somehow, at the end of the day I'm very satisfied."

Put some big words in there and make them work a bit here.

Say, "I am definitely into the cynosure and hope with that, you will excogitate my abilities to be proficuous toward your facility."

Old 07-16-2012, 09:16 PM

What if the guy is a cosmologist or astrophysicist?
What if he is a genius and not good at small talk?
Does his degree from Caltech lose out? Not social enough???????????????

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

It is too vague. Use more specifics. What kind of projects? What kind of work environments? How have you given back?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:24 PM

Just talk so HR can understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search