Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,717 times

Advertisements

I read this all the time on City-Data and my question is this: Where the **** are you guys located? As a college student, all the interviews I've been to have had every single person show up wells-dressed suit, shirt, tie, socks, shoes, and all other essentials.

I have NEVER seen anyone show up in jeans and or shirts. Even at retail store interviews I (and everyone else I know) had on pants, shirt, and some even had ties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
This is an interesting conversation. I have never even owned a suit, but I have no problem getting a job. I work in HR and have interviewed hundreds if not thousands of people and I have only interviewed 4 people wearing a suit. None of them got the job. To me, saying that you have to wear a suit is like saying that you have to wear pantyhose. Very strange to me.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
I think companies usually expect interviewees for white collar or office jobs to show up dressed professionally (suit/tie/dress shoes for men, and suit/blouse/pantyhose/pumps for women).

Blue collar job interviewees may be fine with a sport jacket/tie/dress pants for men, and a skirt or slacks/blouse/pantyhose/pumps for women.

When you don't dress professionally, you are, in effect, saying that you don't care about the company.

Wearing jeans is the equivalent of flipping off the interviewer and the company.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,177,836 times
I've always wondered the thought processes of someone who thinks wearing jeans and a tee to an interview is okay.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
I read this all the time on City-Data and my question is this: Where the **** are you guys located? As a college student, all the interviews I've been to have had every single person show up wells-dressed suit, shirt, tie, socks, shoes, and all other essentials.

I have NEVER seen anyone show up in jeans and or shirts. Even at retail store interviews I (and everyone else I know) had on pants, shirt, and some even had ties.
Detroit is a blue collar town.

Thus, while taking the time to dress up in a fancy suit is nice and all, employers are only really concerned about what you bring to the table.

Heck, it's very hard to catch our current governor ever wearing a tie.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
New York City. Depends on the company, not the location; if you're looking for a job with Goldman-Sachs or Morgan Stanley you'd suit up, but not for Google or (probably) Facebook. If you're doing a bunch of on-campus interviews in a day, you'd wear a suit for all of them if any of them expected it, but if you're going out for a regular interview, you dress as appropriate for the company.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
I've never not worn a full suit, dress shoes, dress socks, tie, and a sports jacket to an interview even though I work in a lab and almost never wear a suit.

I've never seen someone not show up dressed formally for an interview. I mean why bother even showing up and wasting the time and gas? A job interview is the least enjoyable experience I've ever known (most due to HR baloney and ridiculous psychobabble). I'd rather scrub charred organic crud off a MS source.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
I always dress to impress on a first interview because I am in a white collar line of work. My wife applied at a large airline and she said it was group interview and some people showed up looking like they were going clubbing. But then she is a a mature, attractive woman with a brain so she showed up in a business suit. Alas no hire company wants 20 somethings.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I refuse to wear suits to interviews. Their hot and uncomfortable. Some slacks, nice shoes and a good collar shirt or button down would do just fine.

Also it's a good way to stand out. Employers can tell one's personality from their attire.

The only thing I agree with is the no jeans part.
I agree that suits are hot and uncomfortable, and I hate wearing them, and I wish they would be abolished. But when I go to a job interview, I suck it up and wear a suit.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
This is an interesting conversation. I have never even owned a suit, but I have no problem getting a job. I work in HR and have interviewed hundreds if not thousands of people and I have only interviewed 4 people wearing a suit. None of them got the job. To me, saying that you have to wear a suit is like saying that you have to wear pantyhose. Very strange to me.
Because they're stiffs. I've been interviewing for coporate jobs for the past few weeks and out of the 10 I've done; I've gotten 6 callbacks. No suit. I even got several compliments and props from dressing differently as well. My tie was a hit!

I don't get where people get this whole " no suit equals no job!"

That's insanity and I've never heard of something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search