Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The very large world known company my husband works for is currently hiring 10 people for a specialized position.
It is a office type job and the starting base salary is 50,000. The job is like i wrote specialized so there are not tons of people who are eligible to apply but the 10 positions still had a whopping 300 applicants. 30 out of those 300 got a call to come in for an interview. Today my husband tells me that he saw 2 people interviewing in jeans and t shirts. One of the hiring managers expressed his annoyance over this to the other hiring managers. Guess who will not get the job. I guess
They must not have wanted it. But considering the company is flying you to the interview from wherever you are in
The country due to your skills, how the hell do you ********** part up?
Personally i think you wear a suit to any job you interviewing for. Regardless.
I don't think most people here in the Silicon Valley even own a suit, and most of them easily earn six digit incomes.

Video: How to dress for the tech job interview - The Globe and Mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
I think it might depend on the region. Most employers in New York City expect even lower level male employees to wear a suit to work every day, no matter how hot it is, yet they allow women to wear anything they want.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM

934 posts, read 1,937,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
You should dress appropriately for the position or slightly better, you NEVER wear jeans, EVER.

Even when I interviewed for manufacturing jobs I dressed in office attire(not a suit). Only one time I wasn't hired, and it was MY choice.

Hmmmmm....cue the usuals who will passionately argue that expectations are discriminatory and all that matters is how the job applicant feels.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM

303 posts, read 595,501 times
I know that on the east coast (DC, MD, VA), every job I interviewed for involved me wearing a business suit of some kind. Even when I was interviewing at the local AMC movie theater for ticketing (ah, first jobs...). And I was required to wear business attire after I got the jobs (exception being AMC, where we had uniforms).

Later on when I lived in the SF Bay area, I still wore some kind of business suit for the interview but ultimately was able to settle into business casual at best (polo shirts and khakis) for the day-to-day work. In a lot of cases I also had the option for jeans and t-shirts... bearing in mind here that we're talking about the IT industry.

Now back in the DC area, I think it's appropriate to at the very least go in Khakis and a nice shirt for the interview. Sort out what you actually plan to wear to work once you have the offer letter in hand.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
Definitely I could see it as a regional thing. On the East Coast, a suit 100%

Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't think most people here in the Silicon Valley even own a suit, and most of them easily earn six digit incomes.

Video: How to dress for the tech job interview - The Globe and Mail
Ha, I think the guy in that video would be better off wearing a suit. Unless that's really his look. Pink shirt with a white linen jacket and carrying a man-purse (note how similar it looks to the woman's bag)? Not too many people can pull that off, and most people are going to feel very uncomfortable (apparently including their model). Don't do that.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,474,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Ha, I think the guy in that video would be better off wearing a suit. Unless that's really his look. Pink shirt with a white linen jacket and carrying a man-purse (note how similar it looks to the woman's bag)? Not too many people can pull that off, and most people are going to feel very uncomfortable (apparently including their model). Don't do that.
Wow try that look at any good paying white collar sales job I have been applying for and you would be done. In Colorado for a white collar job, you show up in suit, and you work in business casual unless you are going to a law office for appt, then suit up.

I guess if you want to be labeled metrosexual than dress like that guy in the vid.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The very large world known company my husband works for is currently hiring 10 people for a specialized position.
It is a office type job and the starting base salary is 50,000. The job is like i wrote specialized so there are not tons of people who are eligible to apply but the 10 positions still had a whopping 300 applicants. 30 out of those 300 got a call to come in for an interview. Today my husband tells me that he saw 2 people interviewing in jeans and t shirts. One of the hiring managers expressed his annoyance over this to the other hiring managers. Guess who will not get the job. I guess
They must not have wanted it. But considering the company is flying you to the interview from wherever you are in
The country due to your skills, how the hell do you ********** part up?
Personally i think you wear a suit to any job you interviewing for. Regardless.
Not trying to be funny, but there are many people out here that can't afford a suit or nice "interview" clothes and they do the best with what they can.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Not trying to be funny, but there are many people out here that can't afford a suit or nice "interview" clothes and they do the best with what they can.
To be honest, those type of people aren't applying for any white-collar positions which would require a suit. If you're applying at McDonald's or Walmart for $8/ hour, I doubt they'd even look twice at what you're wearing.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I bought my suite for 48 dollars at Macy's Jr department. You don't have to have an expensive suit as long as you
Look professional and it fits nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search