Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Not trying to be funny, but there are many people out here that can't afford a suit or nice "interview" clothes and they do the best with what they can.
It does not have to cost several hundred dollars, unless they are applying for a position on Wall Street or senior management. It just has to be clean and fit well. If a person is in extreme poverty, there are charities that provide interview clothes.

I used to live in a homeless shelter in a residency program, while we did not wear suits to job interviews. Every resident had a professional set of interview clothes from the donation center. We had a white shirt, tie, and wool slacks.

If people do not need free interview clothes, the thrift store is also an option. A dress shirt and wool slacks are a bargain at these places. The pants may need to be hemmed and the shirt may need the waist taken in. These alterations are simple and can be done at the cleaners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Ha, I think the guy in that video would be better off wearing a suit. Unless that's really his look. Pink shirt with a white linen jacket and carrying a man-purse (note how similar it looks to the woman's bag)? Not too many people can pull that off, and most people are going to feel very uncomfortable (apparently including their model). Don't do that.
LOL Yeah, that does look just a little bit gay. Which means that here is the Bay Area, he would fit right in.

But seriously the CEOs of most tech companies wear jeans to business meetings. So wearing a suite and tie would be overkill for that type of job interview.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,709,660 times
I think your interview dress should match what you're expected to wear if you got the job. If one isn't sure and they're asked in for an interview, politely ask the recruiter beforehand what the 'dress code' is for the position. That should clue you in as what you should be wearing to the interview. If your job calls for dress shirt and tie, then you show up to the interview with dress shirt and tie, and so forth.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I think your interview dress should match what you're expected to wear if you got the job. If one isn't sure and they're asked in for an interview, politely ask the recruiter beforehand what the 'dress code' is for the position. That should clue you in as what you should be wearing to the interview. If your job calls for dress shirt and tie, then you show up to the interview with dress shirt and tie, and so forth.
Sounds logical to me!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:31 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I think your interview dress should match what you're expected to wear if you got the job.

If your job calls for dress shirt and tie, then you show up to the interview with dress shirt and tie, and so forth.
Not true. The outfit you wear at the interview should be at least a level or two more dressy than what you'd wear for the job.

If the job calls for dress shirt and tie, wear a suit and tie to the interview.

Generally, you never lose points for being a bit overdressed, but you do lose points for being a bit underdressed. And you lose a lot of points for being very underdressed. So, why lose points for something that's easy to prevent?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM

156 posts, read 313,421 times
Too many folks here are confusing a good, tailored or bespoke suit with some $75 H&M suit they got on sale 3 years ago.

A great suit looks amazing in any environment....it's not "boring" unless the suit sucks. Random women will compliment you all day in a good suit; men will respect you more.

If your casual attire looks better or shows more personality than your suits do........I think it says more about your $100, 15 yr. old prom suit than it does your fashion choice.

Last edited by udonsoup; 10-24-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Oh....as for career fields that didn't require suits for interviews.

I worked as a freelance event/concert photographer in a few countries.

Every "interview" was impromtu("get your ass over here in 30 minutes") and 80% of the time involved alcohol.

Screw offices! We met at bars, houses, clubs, ***** houses, etc.

No suits required....Self-indulgent bragging? Check! Whiskey shots? You betcha!

Man....those interviews were boss....I wish more US companies sealed the deal with Bacardi.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
Oh....as for career fields that didn't require suits for interviews.

I worked as a freelance event/concert photographer in a few countries.

Every "interview" was impromtu("get your ass over here in 30 minutes") and 80% of the time involved alcohol.

Screw offices! We met at bars, houses, clubs, ***** houses, etc.

No suits required....Self-indulgent bragging? Check! Whiskey shots? You betcha!

Man....those interviews were boss....I wish more US companies sealed the deal with Bacardi.
Thank God they don't.

If we had to deal with that childish nonsense, this country would be in even worse shape than it is currently.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
if you are extremely specialized and offer something that no one else can, you can where whatever the hell you want to an interview.

but if you're interviewing for an analyst position in the financial industry? you better wear a nicely tailored suit that isn't black or pin-striped.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Thank God they don't.

If we had to deal with that childish nonsense, this country would be in even worse shape than it is currently.
Interviews at pizza joints and other people's houses rock.

Don't knock til you tried it.

granted....nothing as awesome as that interview scene from swordfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search