Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times

Advertisements

Congrats on the new job, TVSG! - I hope you like the work and the co-workers. And the best part is, getting a pension for retirement is great.

I have read many of your posts here and find this news fantastic as I know you indicated a sometimes about how frustrating the job search was.

All the best to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Congrats on the new job, TVSG! - I hope you like the work and the co-workers. And the best part is, getting a pension for retirement is great.

I have read many of your posts here and find this news fantastic as I know you indicated a sometimes about how frustrating the job search was.

All the best to you!

Thank You, it was a long 12 months but I got lucky and very thankful. The only things I don't like about it is

Having my own office
Being the only staff member under 50

Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Wonderful, life changing news!

Congrats!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was hired on 12/17/12 but officially became part of staff on Monday, Dec 31st after the background check came back clean allowing to me receive my payroll number, company email, and tomorrow I take the picture for my company ID card. Looks like it would have made sense to just start me on January 2nd but I feel very lucky to have this opportunity and will not ever talk down to anyone receiving UC benefits for more than a year because I know how tough it is to find jobs today. I was also lucky enough to get the same type of role which is Job Counselor with a minor role in Job Development which I am excited to learn more so I can take on that role in the future.
Good for you!!! Congrats!!!

As per the bolded, you know we will hold you to that ...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Good for you!!! Congrats!!!

As per the bolded, you know we will hold you to that ...

I am a changed man and want to give more of myself so I can help those looking for work anyway I can during this tough time. I am in no position to look down or criticize anyone who is not working right now.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Thank You, it was a long 12 months but I got lucky and very thankful. The only things I don't like about it is

Having my own office
Being the only staff member under 50
Those are both good things!

Enjoy your new job!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
Quote:
I don't like that I;m the only employee under 40 but I guess that will pass over time. Usually when I start a new job I;m checking out the new female employees but that won't be the case on this job-lol
Great news that you got a government job. I am amazed that you are the only employee under 40, maybe that would be promising for me to apply as I am over 40. I currently work for the Australian Government and will be relocating back to the USA (Born there) next summer. Any helpful hints you can pass on? Sounds like I should apply now if it took you 6 months!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
I was hired on 12/17/12 but officially became part of staff on Monday, Dec 31st after the background check came back clean allowing to me receive my payroll number, company email, and tomorrow I take the picture for my company ID card. Looks like it would have made sense to just start me on January 2nd but I feel very lucky to have this opportunity and will not ever talk down to anyone receiving UC benefits for more than a year because I know how tough it is to find jobs today. I was also lucky enough to get the same type of role which is Job Counselor with a minor role in Job Development which I am excited to learn more so I can take on that role in the future.
congrats!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,812 times
As a city government employee do you not work for an agency or department, rather than a company? That's a little strange in itself. BTW, congrats for the job and why did you change your name?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
As a city government employee do you not work for an agency or department, rather than a company? That's a little strange in itself. BTW, congrats for the job and why did you change your name?

I work a city agency and it was a time for change of the screen name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search