Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM

75 posts, read 315,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Your post exhibits a crappy attitude by virtue of the fact that you are always getting fired and it is *always* somebody else's fault. You can't even have normal living conditions without ending up homeless because it is somebody else's fault. (Do you see a pattern here? I do).

You need to examine why you cannot "get along" in difficult situations, and learn to deal with them in an effective way so that you do not end up with this unmitigated and endless drama in your life.

20yrsinBranson
I mentioned that I got fired from one job and now I apparently *always* get fired? This is just... strange.

I've done all the things suggested above about people critiquing my resume, critiquing my interview, personality, etc. It may be hard for you to believe, but some people do have struggles and there really is no rhyme or reason for it, or if there is a reason, it most certainly isn't because of their awful personality or inability to get along with people.

It is mystifying to me that there are people in this thread who decided that with a little bit of information, you are able to extrapolate many things about me that are wholly unfounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
NeverQuit- here's another suggestion.

1. Ask several different friends to critique your resume.
2. Ask several different friends to pretend to interview you for a job and then get their feed back & criticism.
3. Ask several different friends to critique your appearance vis a vis a job interview.
5. Ask several different friends to critique your personality in general.

You might get some vary valuable information this way which will help you determine which advice to take.
Yes, I've been through this process ad nauseum with both friends and strangers, thus the oft-mentioned mis-comprehension of my inability to find a job.

Let me ask you guys who are making sure judgments of my personality: would you be able to keep the bounds of friendship if you were homeless for two years? How many homeless people would you suspect could use their personality to get off the streets? That is what I did. I hope you understand that I could not have done that if I was a jackass.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Quit View Post
Yes, and the counselors were absolutely mystified at why I couldn't find a job at all.
So am I, frankly. Maybe you're too smart and too articulate and you write too well.
Sound sarcastic? It isn't. The fact is that you have those three characteristics in surplus and the vast majority of people with jobs haven't.

Quote:
I only went off and did my own work because there was money in that area at one time and I had zero choice. I didn't love what I was doing and I burned out. Even despite working 50 - 70 hours a week, I was still on the constant prowl for a job. I don't know why, really. Call me lazy or call me uninspired, but working for myself totally sucked and I will only do it again if I really have to. Unfortunately, it appears I'll have to again, but the money I'll earn will be slightly above minimum wage at this point.
It's not the worst thing that could happen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Quit View Post

I'm deeply offended by your assumption that I am mentally ill, when there is no evidence to suggest that this is so. I look perfectly normal, I walk tall at all times, and I am perfectly capable of holding a conversation. It is also offensive that you believe everyone I have interacted with are so incredibly stupid that they wouldn't be able to see the obvious.
Why be offended by others' stupidity? This is the internet, remember?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Telling a frequently unemployed guy who once was homeless to go to a 4 year college and rack up student loan debt is kinda stupid, and he has no family support either. There are many people on We Are the 99 Percent who racked up troublesome student loan debt for a degree and now they suffer so much. College does not guarantee you a job. My HS buddies who never went to college have a home and kids but I don't, and I went to a top notch college for a BSME.

What was the OP's original trade school degree that he can't get a job in?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
I just don't get it, honestly, I really don't buy it.

I've hired somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 people during your "journey" and can honestly say that there is no legitimate reason anyone would be unable to find and hold a job during that time.

So, in the spirit of the Internet:

Pics or it didn't happen

Basically, prove it.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post

I've hired somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 people during your "journey" and can honestly say that there is no legitimate reason anyone would be unable to find and hold a job during that time.
Wow, you're really in contention aren't you? Hmm, keep thinking.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM

110 posts, read 330,763 times
ok, I admit, the 4-year college idea was pretty stupid. But I still stand by what I said, which was that you need to have a piece of paper saying that you can do something. Want to drive a truck? you need a CDL license. Want to be a CNA? need that certification. Want to be a teacher? need an education degree.

To put it simply, you need either...
1) qualifications
2) industry experience
or
3) a personal connection

in order to get hired.

but anyway, back to the OP. Many people have given you suggestions on what you can do to improve your situation. And yet, you still seem fixated on combating these suggestions. In these 7 pages of comments and responses, do you really not find anything you can try that you haven't done before?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,841 times
[quote=Archguy;28186637]So am I, frankly. Maybe you're too smart and too articulate and you write too well.
Sound sarcastic? It isn't. The fact is that you have those three characteristics in surplus and the vast majority of people with jobs haven't.

Intelligence doesn't guarantee employment, at least not in this market. One must be able to bs their way through a job interview in order to get hired.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
I just don't get it, honestly, I really don't buy it.

So, in the spirit of the Internet:

Pics or it didn't happen

Basically, prove it.
Of course! Let me see if I can't locate the Micro SD card from that Olympus I had at the time. Where would I have stored those photos, in that Sony Vaio I picked up off the sidewalk?

I'm confused by your statement of hiring 300 people. Are you saying that you hired absolutely everyone that walked in the door, or, are you saying that you didn't hire absolutely everyone that walked in the door, but when you couldn't offer them a job, you sent them to another company that you knew for certain would hire them? Or are you saying that you did, in fact, decline a few people, but you are 100% certain that they ended up finding a job regardless of the fact that you didn't give them a job? I'm trying to fit my mind around this one.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothisismyname View Post
but anyway, back to the OP. Many people have given you suggestions on what you can do to improve your situation. And yet, you still seem fixated on combating these suggestions. In these 7 pages of comments and responses, do you really not find anything you can try that you haven't done before?
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as combative to the suggestions. I even tried to be patient and reasonable with the people that are questioning my mental health and personality because I know they are well-intended and they offer some clues to this issue.

I have put thought into the advice I have read here and I have read this thread more than once, but you are asking me to make serious life decisions not so much within 7 pages of a thread, but to make these decisions within the course of 48 hours. I'm not on Shark Tank and I do have a bit of wiggle room to ponder a bit and I'd like to have a little time to reflect on this.

But I'll tell you where my brain currently is:

1- Get out of Dodge.

2- Make sure that the "Other Dodge" is a bit cheaper to get by on.

3- I'll continue my studies and getting the certificates as I earn them. Currently working on getting a certificate in Calculus and Statistics.

4- I'm leaning on simply taking my current resources and working on my own, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'll probably only earn about minimum wage. The fact is that sending out 1000+ resumes a month is an awful life strategy. When I really consider it, sending out those resumes uses 3 to 5 hours per day. Even at $7, I am wasting ~$1,500 / month of potential income.

5- In regards to programming: I will continue to learn. I have a few projects that I am working on. One is a website that I was considering turning into a business, but the idea was lambasted so hard that it is pointless to bother with it. I'm going to fix the code base and "give it forward" by open sourcing the entire project. I'll probably do a few more major projects and do the same with them. I'd like to create a nice Statistical Marketing and Metrics program and open source it.

6- Eventually look for a mentor or someone that can offer guidance. This will be the most difficult step for me, but it is possible that this is the most vital step I will make. This may be 6 months to a year down the road because I don't want to be a full-on "taker" and I hope that whomever I talk to can appreciate what I have accomplished and will hopefully take something of value from me for his or her insight.

Just note that I am quite prone to changing my mind on things, but perhaps the answer to the title of this thread is "Now."

Last edited by Never Quit; 02-11-2013 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search