Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Can your lifestyle afford less money? I think that is a HUGE question to consider.
Assuming you will remake up that lost wage is unrealistic.
He's making less money while working more hours right now.

I agree getting up to an acceptable salary would take a long time, but there aren't any other options now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
The solution to a lowball offer is to take it if you are unemployed and leave once you get a better offer or if you are currently employed why would you take it? As for salary history I have no problem with lying about it to thwart their attempt at price fixing.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
If it's the field you really want to work in, take it. I'm in a somewhat similar situation - worked in a field I really liked and excelled at but left for what seemed like a better situation to fit my personal life. Now I really want to get back into my previous field but am getting no bites even for entry-level positions due the the amount of time I've been away.

Take the job, bust your hump for six months and show them how much better you are than the guys that they have paid 45+5 in the past and hit them up for a raise. If they decline, start looking elsewhere. You should find more doors open to you at that point since you are back in the game.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Like I said, if a job like this hasn't come along in 18 months, why pass it by? You're not taking a pay cut and always have the option of switching jobs with a much more favorable salary in a year or so.
The switching jobs option might not be good down the road because companies don't like more than three jobs in 5 years.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM

105 posts, read 144,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The switching jobs option might not be good down the road because companies don't like more than three jobs in 5 years.
Some truly don't care. Job hopping is the new norm.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm just going to keep harping on the fact that it took him a year and a half to find a job in his industry. Either they aren't hiring or the OP isn't living in the best location (in terms of employment).

Normally, job hopping might be a negative but the other choice is an hourly job presumably not in his industry.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM

48 posts, read 187,942 times
Had a nice long interview again this morning about the position and my ideas. Talked about benefits, which do not seem the best ( through ADP/Total Source ) being a small company. I asked about the cost and got a little run around for being single the comapny puts in most of the money and if you choose not to have any, you get the money. I asked specifically about family costs for coverage and couldn't get a dollar figure but it sounded expensive from the tone of the conversation. You have 10 days for vacation/PTO and 9 holidays. I tried to ask for an additional week vacation but was told everything HR related like that goes ADP/Total Source and it probably couldn't happen. I tried to ask about getting a higher salary to start or possibly performance reviews to bump it up (Thank you all for the advice) . Was told they will see would they could do and get back to me on that. I was taken on a tour of the facility and what computer systems they use.

I don't know how to take this whole thing. I don't know where they came up with that salary range which isn't even at the low end of the market. Even if I do not take the position I would still be making more as an hourly employee than what was offered but not in my field or what I really want to do. Decisions, decisions...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Did I understand this right they won't give you are hard number of cost of benefits? If that's the case that is a red flag. It's one thing early in the process to get vague info but at offer time I want hard numbers or goodbye.

Now I am in sales and commissions can obviously vary so that's normal. Other than that I have always received hard numbers about 401k match, benefits costs, etc. When I didn't get receive that things always turned out bad. You have to ask yourself why won't they disclose? If it's a office manager answering these questions because they don't have HR ok that plausible.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Did I understand this right they won't give you are hard number of cost of benefits? If that's the case that is a red flag. It's one thing early in the process to get vague info but at offer time I want hard numbers or goodbye.

Now I am in sales and commissions can obviously vary so that's normal. Other than that I have always received hard numbers about 401k match, benefits costs, etc. When I didn't get receive that things always turned out bad. You have to ask yourself why won't they disclose? If it's a office manager answering these questions because they don't have HR ok that plausible.
It does sound like the company contracts an outside HR firm to manage the benefits (ADP) so it's possible that the manager (or whoever was doing the interview) doesn't have a firm handle on the details, especially for benefits that he or she doesn't personally use.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It does sound like the company contracts an outside HR firm to manage the benefits (ADP) so it's possible that the manager (or whoever was doing the interview) doesn't have a firm handle on the details, especially for benefits that he or she doesn't personally use.
Sure makes sense but they should have all that info ready for a potential candidate it's not hard to send an e-mail to ADP before they meet with a candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search