Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

48 posts, read 187,942 times

Advertisements

Been a while since I have been on here. I am currently working but not in my field. I have spent most of career in transportation/distribution/logistics field as a supervisor/manager. It has been almost a 18 months since I have been in it. I currently work in a manufacturing facility as a worker , originally hired as a contract supervisor and when contract was up offered hourly employment. I haven't been an hourly employee since the mid 90's but I took it cause I needed it.

I have put in resume after resume anywhere and everywhere for the longest time. Had a lot of phone interviews and a number of face to face interviews. I had a phone interview recently and have had a face to face with a company today. We seem to be on the same page work wise and talked about the job and ideas for close to 2 hours. The position is basically a new position and I would be pretty much autonomous and able to bring my ideas and knowledge to create and develope the position. I loved that idea.

Than came the part when I felt absolutely deflated, when we talked salary. I was asked what I would expect and said in $55000 range as it is pretty much the norm in the mid management level of the transportation industry. I was offered $40000 with a $5000 bonus. I really didn't know what to say but was told to think it over for a couple of days. Have another meeting Thursday morning.

Right now I am making almost what I asked for being an hourly employee, that is with overtime and working occasional weekends. I do work nights and get shift differential. But this other postion is salaried , work Mon to Fri 8-5, with maybe having to come in early or stay late once in a blue moon (that is what I was told).

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
What would you rather be doing?

And know that $40,000 isn't always going to be $40,000.

You could also try to negotiate...it doesn't always have to be the first answer. Try for $47,000 with a $5,000 bonus, see what they say? No, still not what you wanted but closer and you're back in your field.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Don't negotiate yourself out of a job offer...

Remember there are a dozen unemployed candidates standing in line behind you willing to take the $40k... Maybe even $35k. With an employer's market comes lowball job offers.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:09 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Yeah, I hate that companies are lowballing salaries. Some Mech Eng jobs in Chicago require 5+ years experience but then they give an entry level salary of $55,000 / year.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM

I did ask when they said 40 , mid to high 40s? But I guess it is set at 40 with the 5000 bonus emphasized. I still have to ask if that 5000 was guaranteed.

I am really torn because it sounds like something I really could excel at but the money aspect is , well I really don't know what to say. I could understand if was in the mid to high 40s like I asked, that would be a lot easier to think about.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
here is how to negotiate a higher offer without "closing the door" on the original offer

Ask this question and then wait for an answer "Can you increase the salary to $49k?" Then stop talking and wait. You didn't say that you wouldn't take it at the original offer. You are simply asking if they can go higher. It's up to you if you want to ask for 49k WITH the $5k bonus. I would. Maybe they come back at 45k with bonus.

If they ask why, you can specify what you made before, specify the going market rate for such position, then say you are making a little less than that now as an hourly employee and you are looking to move back into management AND get a pay increase to be closer to market rate and what you were making when you were a manager.

Let them know you will still be below fair market rate at the new rate and then explain to them your experience/years/qualifications so they realize what a good fit you are and what a great deal they are getting to pay you 49k/with $5 bonus

You wait to see what they can do. if they aren't sure, ask if they can ask their manager for approval to increase the rate. Maybe they come back with a "in between" number.

If they aren't sure or if they say no, then you can ask for 24 hours to evaluate. Always think about it overnight. then decide what you want to do.

The problem with taking lower is ...then you have to climb back up the pay ladder and it takes time. You are at a good negotiation point now because you are non-mgt for a tempy short time and you SHOULD get a pay boost to go to salary/mgt. We all know that salary is usually more hours for the same set annual rate. You should get a boost to go to salary/mgt.

This is my suggestion for negotiation strategy that is being fair to the company making the offer and you are not refusing the original offer. You are making a case for getting a higher salary and asking for approval for it.

Keep in mind...they already picked you. they want you. But are they willing to pay a bit more for you. Maybe they are.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
I agree that you should try to negotiate.

But even if they say $40k is the best they can do, why not take it? It puts you back on the career path, it sounds like something you will enjoy, and in a year or two you will be making more than you currently do.

Especially if you've been looking for a more permanent job for 18 months, there aren't many reasons to turn one down when it finally comes up.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
I agree this is the best time to negotiate. I don't buy the other people out there bit. Hiring someone takes time and undoubtedly they've interviewed several people and chose him.

If he doesnt get it now it may take years to get back to where he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
here is how to negotiate a higher offer without "closing the door" on the original offer

Ask this question and then wait for an answer "Can you increase the salary to $49k?" Then stop talking and wait. You didn't say that you wouldn't take it at the original offer. You are simply asking if they can go higher. It's up to you if you want to ask for 49k WITH the $5k bonus. I would. Maybe they come back at 45k with bonus.

If they ask why, you can specify what you made before, specify the going market rate for such position, then say you are making a little less than that now as an hourly employee and you are looking to move back into management AND get a pay increase to be closer to market rate and what you were making when you were a manager.

Let them know you will still be below fair market rate at the new rate and then explain to them your experience/years/qualifications so they realize what a good fit you are and what a great deal they are getting to pay you 49k/with $5 bonus

You wait to see what they can do. if they aren't sure, ask if they can ask their manager for approval to increase the rate. Maybe they come back with a "in between" number.

If they aren't sure or if they say no, then you can ask for 24 hours to evaluate. Always think about it overnight. then decide what you want to do.

The problem with taking lower is ...then you have to climb back up the pay ladder and it takes time. You are at a good negotiation point now because you are non-mgt for a tempy short time and you SHOULD get a pay boost to go to salary/mgt. We all know that salary is usually more hours for the same set annual rate. You should get a boost to go to salary/mgt.

This is my suggestion for negotiation strategy that is being fair to the company making the offer and you are not refusing the original offer. You are making a case for getting a higher salary and asking for approval for it.

Keep in mind...they already picked you. they want you. But are they willing to pay a bit more for you. Maybe they are.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I would take it but negotiate for a performance review raise after 6 months to 47-50k if metrics were hit.

Welcome to the real world. I made 50k sales base and commission and so far after interviewing with 20-30 companies over 10 months only one has suggested 50k. I had large Comcast offer me 35k and I had to hold in my laughter. I made 30k base 1st year sales in 98.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM

I really do want to negiotiate the salary up higher but I felt that was there best offer just in the way it was presented after I was asked what would I expect salary wise. And even after I said the mid to high 40s thing. I feel like they won't negotiate higher.

I don't know, this is a very tough one for me. I haven't made that salary since the mid 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search