Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:51 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
So did you complete the tax screening, did it ask such personal questions as I posted?
I did. I think it asked if we were receiving any forms of assistance. It may have asked about other household income, I don't recall. It wasn't done over the Internet. It was on a computer in the HR office the day I went for my drug test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM

103 posts, read 185,403 times
I agree with you they do seem like a invasion of privacy. I am so conditioned to filling these out and I just fill them out. Unfortunately since my ui is so low I qualify for these programs and I have the hope that if a job has the option of hiring myself or someone else that possibly that could give me a advantage.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Becaue the questions asked on that survey are very private, and frankly offensive. Let me ask you I promise not to do anything bad with your SS# want to post it on CD, we know the answer already.
My son has filled these out routinely as part of the application process for hourly-wage jobs. He and his friends are convinced that one of our city's largest employers only hires people for hourly positions who would qualify them for the tax break. I don't know if they're right or not, but given that his friends are solid citizens from well-off families and not one of them has been contacted for an interview after applying at this employer, I think they could be right.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
My son has filled these out routinely as part of the application process for hourly-wage jobs. He and his friends are convinced that one of our city's largest employers only hires people for hourly positions who would qualify them for the tax break. I don't know if they're right or not, but given that his friends are solid citizens from well-off families and not one of them has been contacted for an interview after applying at this employer, I think they could be right.
During the Clinton years, I worked for a restaurant that hired a welfare-to-work single mother and got a big tax credit for her.

No one outside that program would have been hired for that position since the company was really trying to get a "free" employee. The program tax credit covered her wages.

She had no prior work experience, was illiterate and had dropped out of high school. She had 6 kids by 4 different men by the time she was 23 yrs old!

She was socially dysfunctional and even moved slower than molasses. She was incapable of performing multiple job functions like the other employees, so she just wandered around with a broom and a rag half-heartedly cleaning. It was weird.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
LOL what-Even better since I have none of those slacker traits no need for me to give it to them.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,053 times
I have been asked, pretty consistently, by companies to take tax screening surveys in the past; and in my experience, it is fairly common to be asked questions about household size, income and welfare status. After being officially hired I have answered these questions without concern as they do not worry me (or offend me, personally), and always provided my SSN since that is, obviously, required by any employer you will have. I have even seen tax screening surveys on initial job applications before but, in my experience, only on paper applications where I was either not asked to provide a SSN at that time, or if I was, had the freedom to simply write something along the lines of, "will provide SSN upon hire". Today while applying at a large retail company was the first time a tax screening survey was not only asked of me, but required, on an online app. I believe these surveys are always optional (probably for legal reasons or something), but the tricky part about this online app was that although I could deny the "invitation" to complete the survey, if I did so, I was then asked to "enter SSN to confirm" my denial... which seems pretty ridiculous. I have submitted plenty of applications both on paper and online that did not even ask, let alone require, my SSN. I definitely don't appreciate a large corporation requiring me to enter it in an online form in order to submit an employment application. It seems to me that it will likely (& legitimately) worry and deter applicants. I don't understand, though, if they are choose to ignore this or are intentionally trying to deter a certain number, or certain kind of applicant. It definitely bothers me that I am forced to choose between my online security and applying at a particular company. Oh well, I guess I won't get to apply for this position...

Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,291 times
heres my question. is it required of me once I have the job before I can get a paycheck????

Old 08-03-2017, 08:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneenMM View Post
heres my question. is it required of me once I have the job before I can get a paycheck????
Answered on your ther thread.

No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search