Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 12:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I've never heard anyone use that statement in that context. I probably wouldn't want to be a part of a social circle where it is used in that context.

In any event, I'm not looking for anything. I made my point loud and clear. It seems you all have a problem with it if you keep responding to my posts.
I think hunting is much more common than hungry or thirsty is in that context. I can somewhat see it but some phrases that are common to many aren't so elsewhere. Case in point Occam's Razor or a the simplest answer is the likely outcome. (The fact that that belief is a bit of a bias is not for debate.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 06:12 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Seriously?

Yes, "seriously."

Quote:
Sure, that was its origin.

But in the modern context, after revisiting the emotional toll the economic crisis took on people, it is also known as The Great Depression because of the feelings of despair many expressed given how hard it was to earn a sustainable living.

Social and Cultural Effects of the Depression [ushistory.org]

Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
I'm just wise enough to see beyond all of the crap and call it for much of the BS it is. I'm not sure why that bothers you or anyone else.

Because you are not to question or to call attention to it. You are just supposed to suck it up apparently.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcintyre View Post
Yes, these letters are BS due to the fact you find out later the person did not have the skills or the talents, because they were a cousin, niece, or illegal alien. how about that or your are not the right complexion.

Of course these are the reasons sometimes, but they are not stupid enough to tell you. That is why they sometimes use generic responses when sending you a rejection letter. And sometimes they choose to not send them at all.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
In some cultures such as the Chinese you're supposed to be polite to save yourself and the other person embarrassment. To them it's only lying if you mislead about your intent.

So they want to communicate "you're not good enough" but in a "nice" way or one where you aren't being disrespected.

Quote:
I hate BS and BSers. Just be straight forward about yourself or how you feel about me and I'm good.

On one hand, I want people to be honest about why they rejected me. While not necessary, it's nice to know why you're where you stand (perhaps it's something you can correct Perhaps there's something wrong with them that you didn't know before?).

On the other hand, I can't stand the silly mind games and placating like in the OP above. Passive-aggressive people are a PITA.

The question is, can one be honest and polite without being a passive-aggressive PITA? This requires tact most people don't have.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
In some cultures such as the Chinese you're supposed to be polite to save yourself and the other person embarrassment. To them it's only lying if you mislead about your intent.

So they want to communicate "you're not good enough" but in a "nice" way or one where you aren't being disrespected.
Well I'm not a part of those cultures.

In the subset of American culture I was raised in, bluntness is encouraged.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Well I'm not a part of those cultures.

In the subset of American culture I was raised in, bluntness is encouraged.
We must remember that America is a very inclusive culture due to all the immigration. So as much as your neck of the woods is blunt, doesn't mean that people applying for jobs there or even companies there share the same value. A small business sure, but a larger firm no.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We must remember that America is a very inclusive culture due to all the immigration. So as much as your neck of the woods is blunt, doesn't mean that people applying for jobs there or even companies there share the same value. A small business sure, but a larger firm no.
Well stated. And among those with some class, blunt doesn't cut it regardless of culture.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Well stated. And among those with some class, blunt doesn't cut it regardless of culture.
You jut gotta get those jabs in, don't you?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is the OP asked for everyone's opinion on the subject.

So the uproar about my opinion has been unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search