Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times

Advertisements

You have to take what you can get. Right now its a "buyers" market. The employer calls the next person in line, they come in, interview ahead of you, get the job before next week, and you don't even get to interview. You shot yourself in the foot.

You turn down an interview, for one, you are actually turning down a job referral, which technically is a condition of you receiving Unemployment Benefits. So, IF, you receive a request for a job interview, and you turn it down, you are in violation of your agreement with the state to receive your UE benefits. If you did that, then make sure when you apply for your benefits this Sunday, (TVSG, don't forget, hit your knee, stub your toe, have a toothache, etc,) to mark that you did turn down a job referral. (A postponement is putting off, deferring) until next time you apply, you have to be honest, don't lie to them, we're all watching you.

Last edited by sinsativ; 03-17-2009 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Add clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
You have to take what you can get. Right now its a "buyers" market. The employer calls the next person in line, they come in, interview ahead of you, get the job before next week, and you don't even get to interview. You shot yourself in the foot.

You turn down an interview, for one, you are actually turning down a job referral, which technically is a condition of you receiving Unemployment Benefits. So, IF, you receive a request for a job interview, and you turn it down, you are in violation of your agreement with the state to receive your UE benefits. If you did that, then make sure when you apply for your benefits this Sunday, (TVSG, don't forget, hit your knee, stub your toe, have a toothache, etc,) to mark that you did turn down a job referral. (A postponement is putting off, deferring) until next time you apply, you have to be honest, don't lie to them, we're all watching you.

Between the two calls I got today for interviews, I was more interested in the job that was 10 min away from me versus the other job that was 40 min away and not in the BEST NEIGHBORHOOD. So it's still a 60% chance I may cancel the interview before next Thursday because when I applied I was really testing out my TWEAKED resume and I see that it was tweaked the right way. My focus is on the other interview because it's in a better neighborhood, and it's a job I'm really interested in after reading the decsription.

Also I don't think a employer should ask can you come in the next day. I mean atleast ask about the day after not just "can you come in tomorrow morning?" So I was slightly turned off by that because they were not considering that I may have had plans for tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:57 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,128,843 times
Also I don't think a employer should ask can you come in the next day. I mean atleast ask about the day after not just "can you come in tomorrow morning?" So I was slightly turned off by that because they were not considering that I may have had plans for tomorrow.

Strange....what is wrong with an employer asking you to come in the next day?? I can't count the number of times an employer asked me to come in the next day and whammo got the job.

If you have other interviews scheduled for the next day, just say that you have a previous engagement , can you come in the following business day... (dont' say interviews...just say engagements....well on least one occasion me saying i had other scheduled interviews did not go well with the staffng manager...well at least her voice changed...but you can't please everybody..)

hmmm???

Old 03-17-2009, 02:03 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
I'm quite skeptical of the 'can you come in tomorrow' interview basically because bells go off like "someone else had the job and walked off and they may not be a good place to work for.."

I did go in the next day for a job interview when it was arranged by the temp agency I was working for...

I think you have to take any interview you can get now..obviously if you have 2 you have some skills...just be calm and you will be fine.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post

Strange....what is wrong with an employer asking you to come in the next day?? I can't count the number of times an employer asked me to come in the next day and whammo got the job.

If you have other interviews scheduled for the next day, just say that you have a previous engagement , can you come in the following business day... (dont' say interviews...just say engagements....well on least one occasion me saying i had other scheduled interviews did not go well with the staffng manager...well at least her voice changed...but you can't please everybody..)

hmmm???

Well Hopefully I don't have to show up next Thursday if the two Interviews I have this week go well.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm quite skeptical of the 'can you come in tomorrow' interview basically because bells go off like "someone else had the job and walked off and they may not be a good place to work for.."

I did go in the next day for a job interview when it was arranged by the temp agency I was working for...

I think you have to take any interview you can get now..obviously if you have 2 you have some skills...just be calm and you will be fine.
Yeah it's just something about asking-"can you come into tomorrow" that sounds like a red flag-lol

Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Yes, sometimes businesses have had people walk off the job. Been lots of examples. Think about these:
1. They hire the person that was wrong for the job, underqualified, but accepted less pay, tried it for a couple weeks, got in over their head, then didn't show up after two or three months. (they had resumes left over from previous ad, or needed a quick replacement)
2. Military deployment, spouse leaves and the company doesn't plan ahead, all of a sudden, someone is gone
3. Accident, or death of an employee
4. Immediate termination of an employee got caught for violating company policy
5. Criminal act of employee, outside of company, goes to jail

Hey, those things happen, in real life. You get a call for a job, Opportunity knocks, answer the door, and hope like hell they're not asking directions to someone else's house.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I received two calls from Two Different Employers this morning and one of them I called back asked could I come into tomorrow and I told them my only available day is Friday. I tried that before and let me tell you that going on two interviews in one day is not a good idea, Just too mentally draining. So I have another interview on Thursday and was trying to schedule the other interview for Friday but we couldn't agree to a time that was good for both of us. So has anyone else gone on Two Interviews in One Day?
You couldn't agree on a time that was good for both of you? You don't have a job, any time someone offers you an interview take it! Don't give another applicant an opportunity to get in the door ahead of you,

Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You couldn't agree on a time that was good for both of you? You don't have a job, any time someone offers you an interview take it! Don't give another applicant an opportunity to get in the door ahead of you,
I tried that, he's looking for someone to give him an excuse, not to do two in one day, not a reason he should.

You are definitely a candidate for the "potted plant" remark.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post

we both agreed for friday at 10am and then i hung up. The phone rings again and she says can you do Thursday at 10am? I was like-"friday is my only available day for interviewing" Then she said what about next week? I said-"next week I'm free" and that's when she scheduled it for next thursday.

But It was almost a situation where I had a interview the last three days of this week but they coukdn't pencil me in for friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search