Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 10:34 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,238,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I found this blogger today and ...
our survival as Jews has always been by following the Torah. it is that simple.
for thousands and thousands of years, the survival of the Jewish people is through keeping the Torah.
this is true for us as individuals and collectively.

when we follow the Torah, yes it means there are foods we no longer eat, there are work schedules we no longer work, there are activities we no longer perform, out clothing is different, and yes there are relationships that we do not engage in.

every time i am faced with these conflicting wants (such as I want to be an observant Jew, but I also want to continue ballroom dancing; I want to be an observant Jew, but I also want to work a lucrative weekend overtime shift) it invariably leads me to the place of "why can't i do both" and it is a very stuck place. interestingly enough it is always resolved for me with the same very simple answer which rings clear and true, and the decision is made for me: my soul chose to be born this lifetime as someone whose strongest heart's desire is to be an observant Jew. Everything else flows from there. Which is more important to me in whatever choice or conflict I am facing? Always what is most important for me is being an observant Jew. To be a kosher Jew, I follow the Torah. Period. I trust that this is what is most important for my neshama this lifetime, and then I am no longer stuck, and the conflict dissolves.

Na'aseh v'nish'mah. We will do and we will hear. First we will do what the Torah asks of us. And it is only in the doing that we hear (and see and feel and observe and experience and come to know) how essential this is to our own soul growth and to the continuation of the Jewish people.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-09-2016 at 11:01 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 PM

170 posts, read 106,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Thanks for clearing that up!

As far as the pronunciation (thus English spelling), Yidn from certain parts of eastern Europe say kigl instead of kugel, git instead of goot, meshige instead of meshuge, etc. So I'm pretty sure it's the same thing here. I don't know the actual geography of the differences, but I suspect that there is a book or two on the subject, including one by one of my sister's in-laws.
Excellent point. Mein mishpucha iz fun Rusland/Ukraine, and we speak Yiddish with an Eastern European accent. When I talk with bubbe, we sometimes get into arguments about how to say words in Yiddish. For example, the word dog in western Yiddish is Hunt, but is ayer in eastern Yiddish.

One time last month I was on the phone with bubbe and I said to her:

Ich: "Di hunt geyn shlofn, bubbe."

Bubbe: "Di vus?"

Ich: "Di hunt bubbe."

Bubbe: "Vus iz a hunt, yingele? Ich nit fershteyn."

Ich: "The dog, bubbe."

Bubbe: "Ah, di ayer. Hunt iz nisht Yiddishe, bubbeleh. Du viln ayer."

Ah well, bubbe knows best after all.

Other differences between Eastern and Western European Yiddish are accents. Western has more of a German accent, most prominently heard when pronouncing R's. Similar to French sounding.
Whereas, eastern Yiddish rolls the R's.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:12 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
Is there a difference between a bat miztvah and a bas miztvah other than spelling?

Cat

Old 08-10-2016, 02:15 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
the difference is in the Hebrew pronunciation. There is no "dot" in the second letter of the first word and certain groups see that as having a "s" pronunciation (as opposed to the "t" when there is a dot. Other groups don't follow that distinction and pronounce both as "t".

Yes, this is a rather oversimplified review of pronunciations, but it gets to the point that the two pronunciations point to the same event/concept.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Is there a difference between a bat miztvah and a bas miztvah other than spelling?

Cat
No.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:08 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Who/what is Satan? A few exJWs were talking about demon phobia indoctrination and how hard it is to shake. Someone suggested reading about the Jewish concept of Satan. It seems like satan was anything adversarial and then one thing I read said he was an angel but wasn't working against God but as a tool of God?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:35 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
He is sort of the district attorney hose job it is to tempt us to do wrong and prosecute the offenders. He works for God and is not independent of that position..

Old 08-13-2016, 09:23 PM

23,166 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Who/what is Satan? A few exJWs were talking about demon phobia indoctrination and how hard it is to shake. Someone suggested reading about the Jewish concept of Satan. It seems like satan was anything adversarial and then one thing I read said he was an angel but wasn't working against God but as a tool of God?
Dan is a serpent by the way who bites at the horse's heels to turn the rider over backwards.

This is said about Dan and the serpent because Issachar is a man between two burdens and he can't commit and so Dan comes as a tool in my opinion.

Gold and silver can only be refined by fire, just as a grape vine gives the best wine when it is troubled the most.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:23 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D231 View Post
Tziker is Yiddish for sugar. You bought sugar bones, which in Yiddish refer to the softer edible parts of the bone. I'm not sure if Americans call it the same thing.

That's a weird way of spelling it though. Usually it's spelled "Zucker".
Thank you. I have not heard of sugar bones before. Interesting.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
The Sumerian Swindle - How the Jews Betrayed Mankind: Volume 1 - The Sumerian Swindle by Banjo_Billy.

Quote:
This book will change everything that you ever thought that you knew about the Jews and their nefarious history. This book has real merit and will fill the missing links in the puzzle of what Jews really are and where they actually came from. These discoveries have never before been published anywhere in the world, so we are happy to be the first to distribute such a fine book. - https://archive.org/details/TheSumerianSwindle

Has anyone here heard of this?...

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 08-14-2016 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Added forgotten Quote notation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism