Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:11 AM

938 posts, read 1,514,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Perhaps. But there's only one Torah. And only one correct "opinion." And I assure its not coming from the poster who said he's never even heard of the concept.
Wrong. Your posek (halachic decisor) is not the only one in the Jewish world. Many frum (Orthodox and observant) Jews will shake the hands of women in business settings. It's not that hard to find teshuvot (responsa of Jewish law) supporting this practice.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:08 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,125,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Wrong. Your posek (halachic decisor) is not the only one in the Jewish world. Many frum (Orthodox and observant) Jews will shake the hands of women in business settings. It's not that hard to find teshuvot (responsa of Jewish law) supporting this practice.
I have worked with quite a few Orthodox Jewish men, all married, over the years. I have often seen them shake hands with women.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:43 PM

467 posts, read 352,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
I have worked with quite a few Orthodox Jewish men, all married, over the years. I have often seen them shake hands with women.
They weren't particularly observant of Halachah. You don't learn Halachah by watching people who claim to be Orthodox.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
They weren't particularly observant of Halachah. You don't learn Halachah by watching people who claim to be Orthodox.
There is no doubt they were Orthodox. Dress, hair, beards, tzitzis, headgear, observing everything, knowledgeable about everything. One even went to the Mitzvah Tank at lunchtime. Perhaps you or someone else could cite specifics from Maimon or other sources relevant to the topic. Not being fluent in Hebrew or experienced in the details of Halachah I certainy cannot.

Aside: Why am I suddenly reminded of the Christianity forum?

Old 12-10-2014, 04:50 PM

388 posts, read 384,704 times
Mitzvah Tank? You mean Mikvah?

Every Jew is unique. While some Jews are shomer negiah (laws concerning touch), most are not. I have shaken hands with women who are members of the Modern Orthodox community before.

I also will ask someone I perceive to be TOJ if they are shomer negiah before I initiate any touch, as to not embarrass myself or the other party. Reactions in the past have been extremely positive, most were happy that I even knew what shomer negiah was.

And shomer negiah originates from the Torah verses in Leviticus "None of you shall come near anyone of his own flesh to uncover nakedness: I am the Lord" (18:6), and "Do not come near a woman during her period of uncleanness to uncover her nakedness" (18:19)". The second verse also refers to the laws of niddah.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Mitzvah Tank? You mean Mikvah?

The Lubavitchers will ask anyone who looks like they might be Jewish if they are. If the answer is Yes they invite them into the Tank (bus ) to put on tefillin. Having a Jew become observant even if only briefly will help hasten Moshiach. And who knows, maybe they will be inspired to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Every Jew is unique. While some Jews are shomer negiah (laws concerning touch), most are not. I have shaken hands with women who are members of the Modern Orthodox community before.

I also will ask someone I perceive to be TOJ if they are shomer negiah before I initiate any touch, as to not embarrass myself or the other party. Reactions in the past have been extremely positive, most were happy that I even knew what shomer negiah was.
I do know what shomer negiah means simply because I fanatically read everything in sight that has to do with religion (among other things). I never asked anyone that because I never met an Orthodox woman in circumstances where a handshake might be appropriate.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Incorrect. If they are Haredi, Hassidic, Ultra Orthodox, etc.. You can either go on campus and carefully watch the Lubavitch at Chabad or even easier go to Google Images and try to find one photo of them holding or touching hands. You won't find any.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:45 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,998 times
Quote:
Not shaking hands is the smallest human interaction. However this is only
when they are married. Again married both men and women can not shake hands of
opposite sex.
I agree with you and think it is crazy for the opposite sexes not to shake hands~!

Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 PM

Even when married to each other...

Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM

467 posts, read 352,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
There is no doubt they were Orthodox. Dress, hair, beards, tzitzis, headgear, observing everything, knowledgeable about everything. One even went to the Mitzvah Tank at lunchtime.
For what? To put on tefillin at lunchtime? Not exactly the sign of an orthodox Yid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism