Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:56 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Yes it's likely a true story. But Hiker, ask yourself why this is newsworthy?
It is just interesting - and kinda funny.

Quote:
orthodox men do not want to sit next to women on flights.
Then they should have made prior arrangements, like buying an extra seat and leaving it vacant.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Then they should have made prior arrangements, like buying an extra seat and leaving it vacant.
Perhaps.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:38 PM

864 posts, read 871,429 times
Quote:
Or like politely asking fellow passengers to change seats, which they did. But of course, in true secular Jewish fashion, they would not oblige, even when said passengers offered payment for the change. So said passengers stood throughout the flight, except during take-off and landing when they had no choice, which wasn't good enough for the poor women who were politely asked to change and were rankled by a smattering of guilt disguised by righteous indignation, so they created a media stink which they could've easily avoided just by being nice.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Most likely the men didn't know each other. FWIW a few decades ago when there were more airlines flying directly to Israel a travel agency would reserve and buy a block of seats and set the seating arrangement at their computers. But now with the advent of the ability to buy ones tickets on the internet and save money compared to the travel agency/charter price we now end up with situations like this.

I use the same flight number when I fly to Israel, but I fly out on the midnight flight Saturday night in both directions. So I'll see Modern Orthodox on the flights but not Ultra Orthodox. I've been taking these same flight numbers for about 30 years now. Also keep in mind that for direct Israel flights the leaving time is for leaving the gate. The takeoff off time has been upwards of two hours later when a flight path has been chosen. Thus the expectation time in Israel is expected to be off by an hour or so depending on the actual take off time and flight path taken. (I added this due to the articles stating the planes arrived late, but that is the expected norm into Israel. Flying into the US, one ends up early and rarely late or on time).

Old 12-29-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Or like politely asking fellow passengers to change seats, which they did.
Well, since "politely asking fellow passengers to change seats" didn't work and led to a national news story, I bet they will try something else next time.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:20 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
I'm starting to smell a blood libel here. I read on Yeshiva World news that this flight was scheduled to land only an hour before Shabbos. No way an orthodox Jew would be on that flight. The Huffington Post is unashamed of their outright anti semitism. I bet this story isn't true. I bet the one from three months ago on El Al is also untrue.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 PM

864 posts, read 871,429 times
Quote:
Well, since "politely asking fellow passengers to change seats" didn't work and led to a national news story, I bet they will try something else next time.
So they stood. But the nice secular women would have none of that either, so they took to the media to voice their righteous indignation about those "horrible people" who would disrupt a flight rather than be seated near a woman.

Frankly, these women would've been the first to cry "sexual harassment" at the slightest touch or rubbing of elbows.

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 12-29-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to smell a blood libel here. I read on Yeshiva World news that this flight was scheduled to land only an hour before Shabbos. No way an orthodox Jew would be on that flight. The Huffington Post is unashamed of their outright anti semitism. I bet this story isn't true. I bet the one from three months ago on El Al is also untrue.
I included the link to the real article for this reason. The flight was the Saturday midnight flight out of JFK. The plane was a Boeing 777 which meant they they were in different rows.

Quote:
... two Haredi men refused to sit in their assigned seats between two female passengers....
Why? Because they chose the cheapest seats where each cluster only has 3 seats. Thus each one of them ended up with a woman on each side of them.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Or like politely asking fellow passengers to change seats, which they did.....
Politely?? Who are you fooling?

There are enough bus video's from Israel and none of them were "politely". And this same meshugas happens on airplanes.

Jewish man arrested after asking woman to move to the back of the bus; riot erupts - Ads Against Apartheid | Ads Against Apartheid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37d6fiQG8s

Training video:

The In-Flight Safety Video El Al Should Show on Flights to Israel – Tablet Magazine

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Is that video serious or is it a joke?

I thought it was done very well, but then it mentioned the full-body protection gear, complete with a breathing apparatus, and I thought it might be a satire or something.

Anyway, very good video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism