Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 02:24 AM

47 posts, read 19,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Aren't you going to ask your own rabbi first? Since you're studying under her for your conversion, you must be meeting with her on a regular basis. Do please ask her, as I'd really like to know what she says.

I belong to a Conservative shul, but I'm curious enough to ask my rabbi how he would personally handle a situation like yours if he were on the beit din for your conversion.
She is on holiday for a few weeks so services are being lay led for the time being
I am curious to see what your conservative rabbi says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 05:38 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Although I don't know about the brit mila for conversion in particular, I would like to add that one of my nephews had medical issue when he was born and the actual circumsion was postponed until he was approx. a year old. But he still had a brit mila ceremony (about 10 days after birth) with an Orthodox Rabbi (Mohel) who explained to everything that that Brit Mila is not only about cutting but also about name giving (as this was when my nephew's "Hebrew" name was formerly announced to everyone).

Old 08-07-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Although I don't know about the brit mila for conversion in particular, I would like to add that one of my nephews had medical issue when he was born and the actual circumsion was postponed until he was approx. a year old. But he still had a brit mila ceremony (about 10 days after birth) with an Orthodox Rabbi (Mohel) who explained to everything that that Brit Mila is not only about cutting but also about name giving (as this was when my nephew's "Hebrew" name was formerly announced to everyone).
That is true. The Brit Milah isn’t just the circumcision it’s also about naming the boy and commemorating Elijah (to a degree)
Do you think my Reform rabbi will be ok with no circumcision for the time being??

Old 08-07-2022, 09:21 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you, based on what Rabbi Menachem Posner (staff editor at Chabad.org) has to say about the matter:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...rcumcision.htm

Here is a partial quote from the link above:

"The consensus is that, unfortunately, such an individual cannot convert. The halachically described procedure for a male’s conversion must include circumcision. Since in this instance there is a danger involved in the circumcision, this person cannot convert. In fact, even if he would wish to convert at his own risk, the Jewish court would not allow him to risk his life in order to become Jewish. Becoming Jewish is great, but staying alive is more important . . . I would like to remind you that according to Jewish belief, a non-Jew need not convert to Judaism in order to achieve spiritual fulfillment."

This applies only to a potential convert, and not to a child already born Jewish who can't be circumcised due to medical reasons.

Since Reform Judaism does not view halacha as binding (unlike Orthodox and Conservative Judaism), your rabbi and Reform beit din may possibly make an exception for you regarding the halachic requirement of circumcision to become a Jew.

Asking others here for their opinions on what your rabbi might or might not say is not going to be helpful for you. You will need to wait until your rabbi comes back from vacation and ask your rabbi, yourself.

I wish you all the best, and hope that your rabbi provides you with the answers you seek.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:31 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaztheger View Post
I am 6 months into my conversion and really enjoy it. I booked my Brit for 3 months time but the doctor rang my today saying he won’t perform it due to my diabetes. It’s too risky and has advised to forego it. He is willing to write to my rabbi.

I attend a really lovely Reform shul which is very open and diverse and prizes the notion of informed choice.

Will my lack of circumcision affect my conversion?
This is something you'll have to discuss with your rabbi and/or your beit din.

Circumcision is required for both Conservative and Orthodox conversions, but I don't know if the health reasons would be a valid reason to not require it. As Rachel already posted, conversion isn't required for one to have a place in the World to Come, so it might just end the conversion process. Since you are converting under the Reform movement, this may not be the case and you really need to discuss it with your sponsoring rabbi.

I was cicumcised as a baby (still pretty common for non-Jews in the US) so I only required a drop of blood to be taken from the scar during my conversion.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you, based on what Rabbi Menachem Posner (staff editor at Chabad.org) has to say about the matter:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...rcumcision.htm

Here is a partial quote from the link above:

"The consensus is that, unfortunately, such an individual cannot convert. The halachically described procedure for a male’s conversion must include circumcision. Since in this instance there is a danger involved in the circumcision, this person cannot convert. In fact, even if he would wish to convert at his own risk, the Jewish court would not allow him to risk his life in order to become Jewish. Becoming Jewish is great, but staying alive is more important . . . I would like to remind you that according to Jewish belief, a non-Jew need not convert to Judaism in order to achieve spiritual fulfillment."

This applies only to a potential convert, and not to a child already born Jewish who can't be circumcised due to medical reasons.

Since Reform Judaism does not view halacha as binding (unlike Orthodox and Conservative Judaism), your rabbi and Reform beit din may possibly make an exception for you regarding the halachic requirement of circumcision to become a Jew.

Asking others here for their opinions on what your rabbi might or might not say is not going to be helpful for you. You will need to wait until your rabbi comes back from vacation and ask your rabbi, yourself.

I wish you all the best, and hope that your rabbi provides you with the answers you seek.
Thanks for your help I appreciate it
I checked on the Reform Judaism US site and it states “ While the the Reform Movement does not require that converts to Judaism become circumcised (adult berit milah), it is increasingly recognized and practiced as an important aspect of becoming a full member of the Jewish people. ”

https://www.reformjudaism.org/belief...mcision-ritual

But I know American reform is different from British

Old 08-07-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your help I appreciate it
I checked on the Reform Judaism US site and it states “ While the the Reform Movement does not require that converts to Judaism become circumcised (adult berit milah), it is increasingly recognized and practiced as an important aspect of becoming a full member of the Jewish people. ”

https://www.reformjudaism.org/belief...mcision-ritual

But I know American reform is different from British
From what I'm seeing here in America, it appears that Reform Judaism is moving closer to Conservative Judaism in practice these days. I have yet to encounter these days a Reform congregation that does not keep kosher, unlike when keeping kosher was not the practice in Reform Judaism of earlier times.

I have also seen Conservative Judaism moving closer to Orthodox practice. My own shul is what some people might call "Conservadox" -- closer in practice to Orthodox Judaism.

I think that perhaps the influence of Chabad with its outreach programs may be partly responsible for this shift towards a higher level of observance among the non-Orthodox branches of Judaism.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
From what I'm seeing here in America, it appears that Reform Judaism is moving closer to Conservative Judaism in practice these days. I have yet to encounter these days a Reform congregation that does not keep kosher, unlike when keeping kosher was not the practice in Reform Judaism of earlier times.

I have also seen Conservative Judaism moving closer to Orthodox practice. My own shul is what some people might call "Conservadox" -- closer in practice to Orthodox Judaism.

I think that perhaps the influence of Chabad with its outreach programs may be partly responsible for this shift towards a higher level of observance among the non-Orthodox branches of Judaism.
That’s interesting. I’ve heard British reform is closer to American conservative.

As it happens a liberal synagogue near me says this “ Liberal Judaism welcomes those who want to learn and commit to Judaism. Conversion generally takes a year of study alongside attending services. This culminates in an interview with the Liberal Beit Din (three sympathetic rabbis) and visit to the mikveh (ritual bath) to mark a new stage of Jewish life. The curriculum covers Jewish calendar and festivals, life cycle events that build a Jewish life, and important Jewish texts, from the Torah to contemporary Jewish thinking. We equip our conversion students with prayer-book Hebrew and the historical context of Jewish experience through the generations. Liberal Judaism is careful to honour the background, family and experiences of all those converting. Circumcision for men is encouraged but is not obligatory. Please contact our rabbi if you are interested. “

So there is scope amongst liberal Jews here in the UK.

Anyways I have emailed the Reform Beth Din and the contact desk.

Old 08-07-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:

I emailed the Rabbi who runs the Beth Din and she said this :

i'm glad you've found yourself a good community. which one is that? if you could just send to the rabbi to send to the Beit Din a letter from the doctor, then that's fine. there's no reason for hatafat dam as that's only for people who have been circumcised as a child and therefore cannot undergo circumcision again.

thanks for writing to me and i look forward to seeing you at a Beit Din...i actually run it so i'm usually around.
It’s all good Baruch HaShem

Old 08-07-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I emailed the Rabbi who runs the Beth Din and she said this :

i'm glad you've found yourself a good community. which one is that? if you could just send to the rabbi to send to the Beit Din a letter from the doctor, then that's fine. there's no reason for hatafat dam as that's only for people who have been circumcised as a child and therefore cannot undergo circumcision again.

thanks for writing to me and i look forward to seeing you at a Beit Din...i actually run it so i'm usually around.
It’s all good Baruch HaShem
Sounds like you'll be just fine. Blessings on your spiritual journey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism