Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 09:05 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaztheger View Post
Reform Judaism stipulates the patrilineal child has to be raised Jewish. I wasn’t raised Jewish so I have to convert
I see. So it’s a time-limited factor, like the ability to convert a child with a Jewish father under the Conservative movement by immersing them in a Mikveh during infancy (which I chose not to do for my son, but I digress).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 09:43 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Under the Law of Return, one Jewish grandparent is all you need.

Quote:
Reform Jewish converts are accepted and plus since my dads family is mainly Jewish I can immigrate to Israel anyways.
Sorry about my inaccurate writing. It is true that one only needs one Jewish grandparent to immigrate to Israel. The problem is about getting married in Israel if one isn't Jewish according to Orthodox tradition as the Israeli Rabbinate will not marry such a person (as they aren't considered Jewish) and Israeli Rabbinate has had full jurisdiction in terms of marriage/divorce (as well as burials, etc) as there have been no civil ceremonies performed in Israel. (I am not sure about the current status quo.) In Israel one has had to marry according to their religion with another person of same religion (whether it be Jewish, Christian, Muslim, etc.)

Many years ago I had an acquaintance who had immigrated to Israel as a Conservative Jewish convert. He told me that the Israeli Ministry of Interior accepted him as a new immigrant but that he wouldn't be able to marry someone Jewish in Israel as the Israeli Rabbinate wouldn't accept him as Jewish.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:36 AM

47 posts, read 19,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Sorry about my inaccurate writing. It is true that one only needs one Jewish grandparent to immigrate to Israel. The problem is about getting married in Israel if one isn't Jewish according to Orthodox tradition as the Israeli Rabbinate will not marry such a person (as they aren't considered Jewish) and Israeli Rabbinate has had full jurisdiction in terms of marriage/divorce (as well as burials, etc) as there have been no civil ceremonies performed in Israel. (I am not sure about the current status quo.) In Israel one has had to marry according to their religion with another person of same religion (whether it be Jewish, Christian, Muslim, etc.)

Many years ago I had an acquaintance who had immigrated to Israel as a Conservative Jewish convert. He told me that the Israeli Ministry of Interior accepted him as a new immigrant but that he wouldn't be able to marry someone Jewish in Israel as the Israeli Rabbinate wouldn't accept him as Jewish.
I also understand the implications of not being considered Jewish by the rabbinate but deemed Jewish enough by the Israeli government . It also affects non orthodox Israelis, many of whom have had to go to Cyprus to get married.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:51 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
I also understand the implications of not being considered Jewish by the rabbinate but deemed Jewish enough by the Israeli government . It also affects non orthodox Israelis, many of whom have had to go to Cyprus to get married.
Most non-Orthodox Jewish Israelis still can married in Israel if they want. The problem is mainly when you have a Cohen who wants to marry a divorced woman which the Israeli Rabbinate won't allow (as it is against Jewish Orthodox law) and a few other such irregular cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism